PDA

View Full Version : Forgive my ignorance....

03geetee
11-27-2010, 03:13 PM
What is the little round piece on the rear of my 83 S&S? I have never heard or seen anyone talk about it what the heck is it?

Stern on the top left just under the rub rail?

JTR

ksdaoski
11-27-2010, 03:30 PM
gas tank vent-

my guess, with no pictures

Covi
11-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Fuel vent.

kevkan
11-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Yes, fuel vent. If you overfill, gas will also overflow through it.

03geetee
11-27-2010, 05:34 PM
I am a wiser man today.

Thank you that is what I was reffering to!

JTR

Gravy
11-27-2010, 10:55 PM
find a rubber cap to seal it off for winterization.this will help keep moisture out of your fuel. ethanol loves(absorbs) moisture!

Drew

03geetee
11-27-2010, 11:05 PM
find a rubber cap to seal it off for winterization.this will help keep moisture out of your fuel. ethanol loves(absorbs) moisture!

Drew

Good tip!

JTR

kevkan
11-28-2010, 01:54 AM
Not sure if the rubber cap is a good idea or not. I'm just thinking about a plastic tank, with no way to vent, cooling in the winter and collapsing.

I think a better idea is to not use gasoline with ethanol. I never burned anything but premium fuel in mine for 24 years. Even today, premium does not usually have ethanol. I used to try to run the boat as low on fuel as practical before winterizing. I never used Stabil or anything, and didn't have any problems.

03geetee
11-28-2010, 09:00 AM
I run good old 93 in my jetski with stabil ran in on the way to the trailer when taking it out for the year. I then top off the tank as full as possible with fuel to avoid having space for moisture to develop during any major temperature swings.

Come spring I fire her up, swap the plugs after the fogging oil has burned off and run her. Never had an issue.

For the Mastercraft I have always ran 89 as that is what my original/previous owner had done. I also topped her off and run stabil marine formula all year long as there are times the boat will sit for a month or more with plently of variation in temp. So far I have never had any problems with ethanol/fuel seperation or major water contamination. I usually try to shake up the fuel alot before I try to start both machines in the spring.

Knock on wood no issues.

JTR