PDA

View Full Version : Upholstry removal questions

MC240
11-27-2010, 01:13 PM
I am restoring gelcoat this fall and would like to know if anyone on here has any experience removing permanent cushions on front seating area on a 91" Maristar 240? I can feel a pushpin style connector(similar to car door panels) where my seat turns 90 degrees, but I didn't want to start trying to remove in fear of damaging them. Also, I would love to remove SS rails but I can only reach the front one. There is no room to get arm behind on a few much less a wrench. I don't think there is opening in fiberglass behind cushions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rholmes
11-28-2010, 12:15 AM
They are "christmas tree" type upholstery or trim pops/rivets. Gently pry and they will pop out. It is best to get the trim removal tool from somewhere like Harbor Freight. They sell a kit with all the different types for like less than $10 and they are plastic so they won't crack, dent, etc the fiberglass. Which grab rails are you refering to, the ones in front or back?

MC240
11-28-2010, 12:24 PM
in front. They are L-shaped. Can reach the front one, but middle ones cannot be reached unless there is an opening behind cushion.

supturb89
11-28-2010, 08:11 PM
There should be openings behind the front seats to get to the rails...at least there are on my 96 205.

rholmes
11-29-2010, 09:08 AM
The center triangular cushion in the very front does not have a hole behind it. I had to cut one with a dremel on mine to replace the front lift ring. I can't remember if the side cushions have a hole behind them, I am inclined to say no.

It takes some bravery, but I got the router attachment for my dremel and cut a hole large enough to fit my arm in there (for the center small cushion). It did not effect the mounting and was still solid after my cutting.

atlfootr
12-05-2010, 11:19 PM