PDA

View Full Version : Can water get in the foam?

Profwiz
11-26-2010, 10:07 PM
92- 205 ProSport - Is there any way water can get in and soak the foam under the floor? If this boat had not been well cared for, could there be water in the hull? Still trying to make final decision on purchasing "project boat".
Thanks again

Jerseydave
11-26-2010, 10:24 PM
I am no expert, but I think it could happen. Weigh the boat and compare it to specs.

Skipper
11-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Yes, it is possible to get water in the foam. Accounts for ton of extra weight. There has to be some damage or abuse that has allowed water beneath the floor. Examples are screw holes from mounting equipment inside and thru-hull, neglected boat left uncovered in freeze/thaw conditions, and damage to the hull that allowed water under the floor. The recommendation to weigh the boat is a good one, provided that you have a good "known" weight to work from and you accurately weigh the boat (don't forget the trailer weight). Also some detective work can identify the neglect, damage, and misuse that might lead to water in the foam. I actually completely rebuilt a boat that had a damaged floor and water soaked foam. rebuild project (http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks/)