PDA

View Full Version : 2007 X2 Rear F/Glass platform

hbomb
11-25-2010, 09:07 PM
hello all...
have some conflicting views at present - perhaps some help

travelling approx distance of 65miles - would you leave platform on for the trip or take it off to avoid bracket strain??

I would also ask about short distances - say 5-6 miles - same thing would you leave platfrom on or take it off for road trip??
thanks in anticpation

makaveli2308
11-25-2010, 09:15 PM
if your asking i think you already know the answer !!!!

bturner2
11-26-2010, 08:03 AM
I never take my platform off but then again I have teak. If the platform can take a beating while it's in the water it should be able to handle the bumps rolling down the road.

JohnE
11-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Never took my platform off and I've done a bunch of 900 mile trips.

coz
11-26-2010, 09:36 AM
I never take my platform off but then again I have teak. If the platform can take a beating while it's in the water it should be able to handle the bumps rolling down the road.

Like he said, the brackets and platform are under more stress while underway or when someone's standing on it in the water than sitting on a trailer going down the road.

hbomb
11-28-2010, 04:33 AM
thanks guys

gates and 1
12-03-2010, 04:16 PM
I don't know the definitive answer to hbomb's question, but the views shared by bturner and coz are wrong, with regards to comparison of stresses while towing vs. water-time. If you think about it....where is the smoothest ride while underway? The back of the boat. Few bumps and virtually no vibration. Now, while towing, it's almost the polar opposite. Since the trailers' wheels are fitted toward the back of the trailer, the sharpest rise of the whole assembly, when encountering an uneven surface, is at the rear. When you couple this with the fact that there is a pivot point near the center of the trailer/ tow vehicle , the effect is even greater.
Try this experiment: set a small, half-full plastic bottle of water on the platform, and drive for ten miles. See if it's still there when you stop. Now repeat the same thing on the lake. If you've made no radical turns on the lake, the bottle will stay on all day.....no vibration to make it "walk".

qoute: Any sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic.

bturner2
12-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Have to disagree with you on that. Perhaps you haven't had your boat sitting in rough water and heard the platform slapping on the back end of passing wave. That platform can really take a beating from some sharp chop. If you've ever done any surfing you'll also notice the platform dragging a corner in the water. That's some serious stress.

Don't know what kind of road you're going down but it would have to be some seriously bad road to come close to matching the stress levels encountered when either of the above happens. Now consider that the only stress the platform would experience would be from it's own weight while rolling down the road. Vibration is one thing, the forces from actually using the platform in a real world environment are a completely different animal. No comparison what so ever.

Your experiment is correct when talking about vibration but does not take into consideration anything but smooth water conditions. Nor does it consider any forces the platform may encounter from beneath the platform. Anchor that bad boy out in a storm or hit some decent boat wake and see where that glass ends up.

10ptmust
12-03-2010, 10:43 PM
In either event, I don't think I'd be removing my platform for a road trip. Haven't done that on any of my previous boats and didn't have it done to transport my MC to Seattle from Sacramento. Granted, mine have all been teak, but I still don't think that I'd remove my platform for any road trip, much less the 65 miles being contemplated here.

Thrall
12-04-2010, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't even take it off at home if the stupid thing would fit in the garage with the platform on!
You're fine, it takes a lot more beating on the water than on the road.

hbomb
12-05-2010, 05:52 AM
majority seems to be to leave the platform on........and I am heading that way......
I guess I look at that the X2 carries a fair price tag to start with and if it was to cause a problem at the rear of the hull, one would question about the design of the thing (guess the tower bracesbeing needed are a good example of their engineering skills!!).........my other thing was that if i had to take it of to travel with, i have to "lift" it into the boat and then "lift" it out at the ramp and fit it up......... in a hell of a lot of trouble firstly trying to lift the thing into the boat with a punie wife to help........ and if I get to the ramp and am on my own........because the wife has boycotted the lift because the thing near on ways a ton...........
I would be sort of pi55ed off if the thing could not travel with the platform on.........
thanks fellas......