PDA

View Full Version : No spark, can't winterise properly

skilton12345
11-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Hi,
I was going to winterize my 1980 stars and stripes at the weekend but it wouldn't fire up. I am getting 12v at coil but only a spark at one point? I havent checked a spark plug as i assumed if there is no spark at distributer no spark at plug? Is this a condenser problem? Should I replace points and condenser?
Also since I can't start the engine I can't flush antifreeze through it. I have taken the plugs out the manifold and plan to use a ceramic heater in the engine compartment to try to stop any freezing. Any other tips would be appreciated?

Thanks

beef
11-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Might be obvious, but did you check the kill switch lanyard?

If you can't get 'er fired up, there are some threads on here on winterizing by draining and then pouring a/f into the block. I've never winterized this way, but it is reliable way of getting it done...

1redTA
11-25-2010, 03:11 PM
On my 81 there is no safety lanyard.

I drained the block and poured antifreeze in thru the hoses around the thermostat. When I would see antifreeze coming out of one of the drains I would shut it and keep pouring. I used three gallons of rv antifreeze total

east tx skier
11-25-2010, 05:52 PM
On a PCM motor, you can pour antifreeze into the hose leading to the thermostat housing. No need to warm it up although it would be better to circulate fresh oil.

airdrew99
11-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Skilton,
There are a few things it might be. Make sure all the plug wires, including the coil wire, are fully seated. I've never seen it happen, but check the rotor bug inside the distributor. Make sure it hasn't broke, or the tab hasn't snapped off. Also, grab the rotor bug and gently try to turn it clockwise or counterclockwise. You should get it to move a little bit, but probably not more than 10 degrees rotation. If this can rotate pretty much freely, you most likely had the shear/roll pin on the distributor gear shear/break. I've seen this happen twice, both on pickup trucks. You should also check to see if the points are opening and closing as the engine turns over. Also, you might need to file and clean the points, make sure they are fully closing. If no luck here, condensers are usually pretty cheap. I can't think of anything else to tell you to check right now. If I think of something else, I will let you know.

Drew

JimN
11-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Hi,
I was going to winterize my 1980 stars and stripes at the weekend but it wouldn't fire up. I am getting 12v at coil but only a spark at one point? I havent checked a spark plug as i assumed if there is no spark at distributer no spark at plug? Is this a condenser problem? Should I replace points and condenser?
Also since I can't start the engine I can't flush antifreeze through it. I have taken the plugs out the manifold and plan to use a ceramic heater in the engine compartment to try to stop any freezing. Any other tips would be appreciated?

Thanks

Check the coil wire. Replace it with any kind of wire just to test it- the boat's electronics won't have a problem with it but I would disconnect the stereo's power wire. If it runs or you hear it trying to start, replace it with a new one.

Gravy
11-27-2010, 10:47 PM
if there is power at the coil it sounds like a disributor issue, points may need to be adjusted/replaced. may just be some condensation in there messing with things also...

my 2pennies

Drew g

skilton12345
11-29-2010, 02:16 AM
Thanks very much for your input. I drained the block and manually filled with anti-freeze so hopefully that should be ok for over the winter. It's already snowing here so I don't know when il get a chance to look at coil/distributer but thanks again