PDA

View Full Version : Tune-up Advice

chasmo
11-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Gentleman (and I use the term loosely) - your input has been invaluable to my specific questions and my lurking and reading threads has provided me with some great insight into the care and feeding of my 1991 Tristar. I do love the boat and it has not been until this year that I experienced any issues what so ever as the second owner for the past 6.

I posted earlier about a holeshot problem and it has been determined that I have an accelerator pump issue on my Holley carb. I am going to get that rectified by the dealer's mechanic this winter since it is stored with them indoors.

While he is in there, I am going to have him perform what I term a 100,000 mile tuneup. Boat has 540 hours on the 351.

By this I mean complete fluids change, carb overhaul if deemed necessary(?), plugs and new alt cap, check tranny etc. (we already changed the rotor and timed it, cleaned fuel filter but that is about it)

That being said - two questions:

1. Is there anything else you can advise I have them do/look at?
2. What should a ball park cost be? Number of hours would be fine and I can calculate costs.

Given I have zero mechanical abilities I do not want to undertake this myself. What should take X hours would take me x+y hours and too much hassle.

Insight and advice is much appreciated as always.

Chasmo

east tx skier
11-23-2010, 02:46 PM
In addition to what you listed, I'd suggest replacing the PCV valve and fuel filter(s). Fluid changes should be more of an annual even at the least for what it's worth.

Spark Plugs - Autolite 24 x 8 = around $12.
Plug Wires - About $50. When I did mine on my Indmar Ford, I used this set of PCM 8mm wires. Lenths were perfect and came with right angle boots. Link (http://www.nautiqueparts.com/plugwireset8mmfordandgm.aspx). Skidim has it for the same price.

Distributor cap can run you up to $25.

NAPA has nearly everything you will need.

PCV valve - a couple of bucks.

I know you are planning to have the dealer do this, but everything you have listed apart from the carb work is no more difficult than turning a wrench or a screwdriver. Seriously, give it a shot and save some money. You could do all of this in the matter of an hour (add an hour if you do the fluid changes yourself).

If you check out the FAQ, you can find part #s for the 351W.

Luv2Ski
11-23-2010, 06:09 PM
In theory you should also grease the starter bendix, though few people probably do that. If you have valve noise, this is a good time to check the tolerances. Also check accessory drive belts and replace as needed. Otherwise, agree completely with tx recommendations and his suggestion that you try it yourself if you have any interest.

JMann
11-23-2010, 06:15 PM
I would do the starter but it's such a pain to get to inside bolts. I have a 91 prostar so the set up is probably the same. I looked at it last weekend and couldn't even see all the bolts. Is it 3 or 4?

east tx skier
11-23-2010, 08:13 PM
I never messed with the starter, although, ideally, I suppose you ought to do it. The belts Te definitely a good thing to keep an eye on and replace as necessary.