PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a 06 GM OEM Bose Stereo?

jkski
11-22-2010, 08:51 AM
I have a 2006 GMC truck with the OEM Bose 6 disc system. The other day I was driving along with 5 CD's loaded in and one of them was playing when all of the sudden the stereo stopped and the screen read "Initializing" then after a few seconds the CD started playing again however the screen only showed as having 2 CD's in. I was able to eject the 2 but I know there are 3 others still in there......any ideas. I have not tried to load any CD's in for fear they will be lost in the abyss.

A guy on another site suggested that I would have to remove the headunit and disassemble it to recover the CD's and that this happens frequently. I have had the truck for 3 years and this is the first time it has happened, so is it something I should expect more often now that it has occurred?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

JimN
11-22-2010, 09:20 AM
I have a 2006 GMC truck with the OEM Bose 6 disc system. The other day I was driving along with 5 CD's loaded in and one of them was playing when all of the sudden the stereo stopped and the screen read "Initializing" then after a few seconds the CD started playing again however the screen only showed as having 2 CD's in. I was able to eject the 2 but I know there are 3 others still in there......any ideas. I have not tried to load any CD's in for fear they will be lost in the abyss.

A guy on another site suggested that I would have to remove the head unit and disassemble it to recover the CD's and that this happens frequently. I have had the truck for 3 years and this is the first time it has happened, so is it something I should expect more often now that it has occurred?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Make sure the battery cable clamps are clean and tight. If you hit a large bump in the road when this happened, it could be the cables or the head unit may have an internal loose connection. Disconnect th4e battery negative, wait a few minutes and reconnect it, but make sure you won't need to enter a security code before you start.

btmachone
11-22-2010, 11:47 AM
I have not tried to load any CD's in for fear they will be lost in the abyss.

You could try a blank CD to avoid losing something. Otherwise maybe disconnecting the battery to try to 'reset' the stereo. Good luck.

jkski
11-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks guys, especially Jim N., the battery disconnect did the trick. I disconnected both negative terminals (it's a diesel with 2 batteries), waited about 20-30 seconds and reconnected and the display showed that CD's were indeed inside. They were all able to eject and it accepted CD's as well, so at least now I know how to get them out if this ever happens again.

That being said, all of the terminals seemed clean and tight, so any idea why this happened in the first place?

Thanks again.