PDA

View Full Version : ballast questions 2007 X2

g-mantrix
11-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Hi all, just purchased my first MC, and put into the water yesterday. The ballast set up I have on this is as follows, pic of switch panel attached
ballast port side
ballast starboard
ballast KGB
is this set up std from factory?
I notice a black box 'KGB' located on the port side towards rear of boat, not quite in the rear locker, I guess it controls the ballast fill/empty, but how does this work?
Can the ballast be filled and emptied on the move, or whilst stationary?
Also, when emptying ballast, I could not see where the water was emptying from??

sorry for all questions, but your replies will be appreciated
cheers

ShawnB
11-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Congrats on the boat. Take more pictures!

That is the factory ballast. KGB is the center ballast below the walkway and port and stbd are in the rear. The ballasts empty below the waterline but if it overflows on fill you will see it come out the side vents.

The 'black box' is the ballast control box which is basically the brains of the operation. The switches at the helm talk to this box which controls the pumps and automatically turns them off after a certain amount of time (to keep them from burning out).

ShawnB
11-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Also, not sure about filling/emptying while moving. We do this on our 2004 X2 but that is a totally different setup than the newer boats. I'm curious what others have to say about this...

TallRedRider
11-20-2010, 11:27 PM
When you hit the empty switch, you don't see any water coming out is what I think you are saying for one of your questions, right?

If that is the case, it is plumbed so that it goes out the intake on the bottom of the boat. A peek under the boat will show that you have 2 intakes under there, one for the engine and the other for ballast. You can fill on the fly if the ballast intake is on the bottom of the boat.

bturner2
11-21-2010, 08:38 AM
If you do some searches on this site there's been quite a few posts about the ballast system you have. While not a bad ballast system I've found it far from perfect. I've been through 3 sets of impellers trying to get the system to fill and empty correctly and have already had one of the pumps fail due to the position it was mounted from the factory. Those gauges are pretty much useless other than for a general indicator as to what's going on with the system. I recalibrated mine once which seemed to help for about half the season. They then slowly fell back out of calibration. (I noticed in your picture that your gauges are showing various tank levels while out of the water on the trailer. I would hope that the tanks were empty when it was put on the trailer.)

Personally I find that idling along while filling the tanks works best. When draining the tanks I'll try to get about half empty before putting the boat up on plane. My boat seems to empty the tanks best while it's running at a good clip (20 mph - 25 mph).

vision
11-21-2010, 10:54 AM
as bturner2 indicated, for boats that fill and empty through the same port on the bottom of the boat such as your 07 X2, they fill faster when you are not moving or only moving slowly. It is hard for the pumps to suck up water when you are going 20 mph. Also, increase the engine rpms to about 1500 to max the current available to the pumps.

For emptying, they empty much faster at speed as the vacuum effect of water rushing by the through hull on the bottom sucks out the water.

Make sure you have green impellers in the pumps.

Prostar19
11-21-2010, 11:09 AM
It is best to empty while moving. THis gets the nose of the boat up and pushes the water towards the back of the tank where the drain hole is. It will empty faster and get all of the water out if you empty while under med speed.

hbomb
03-21-2011, 09:42 PM
a follow up question..... the mental block question....... on the same boat - 2007 X2
"if" the impellors or pump where to go toes up whilst the tanks where full......
how would you empty them without pumps??
apologies for the stupid question........

Thrall
03-22-2011, 01:01 PM
a follow up question..... the mental block question....... on the same boat - 2007 X2
"if" the impellors or pump where to go toes up whilst the tanks where full......
how would you empty them without pumps??
apologies for the stupid question........

Good question. On my 06 it doesn't appear that you can empty the tanks without the pumps because the pumps discharge "uphill" out the side of the boat. Even the 07s that empty underneath, still have the inoperable pump impeller in the way and the tanks aer sitting at water level.
Good news is, the total factory ballast on the X2's is less than 1000lbs, so just load it on the trailer full of water. Besides it's unlikely that all 3 would crap out at the same time so you could unload most of the water.
I'm not aware of a manual drain valve either where you could just get it up on the ramp and dump the water by gravity.

MattsCraft
03-22-2011, 01:35 PM
X2 2007 until 2011 is only 550 total, 2 rears at 125 each and KGB is 300 if I remember correctly. I think this was increased in 2011, not sure. '07 up fill and empty from the bottom of the boat, mine (í09) has 2 through hulls, not sure how they are exactly configured, but I think one is for the KGB and the other for the 2 rears. All vent/overflow just below the rub rail. í06 below do not have timers, í07 and I think í08 have 6 minute timers and I believe voltage sensors. í09 up for sure have 20 minute timers and voltage sensors. The sensors time out the pump if they are under too much load. I donít know of anyway to drain if the pump craps out, I guess you could pull the overflow outlet or float and use a Tsunami pump rigged with a flex hose down into the tank to drain it. Fairly easy access on the rears, much tougher for the KGB.

As far as fill and empty, here is what has worked for 200 + hours on the boat, for me. I added X2 specific Fly High Sacs via overflow to my rears. Use an additional 350 fly high down the center, filled via Tsunami pump when needed. (Light crew, with the rears slammed) This has worked well for me, no issues, filling or draining following this method. Not needed if you have 2 or 3 adults up front. We will also use the 350 on the port side seat to surf with a light crew.

Green Impellers, Timers set to about 12 minutes or so. Fill standing still, engine in neutral and running at 1500 RPMís. Drain in motion, plowing at 1500 RPMís. Keeping the voltage up to the pumpís is key along with minimizing the pressure against them, my 2 cents.

ttu
03-22-2011, 01:37 PM
matt, my problem is getting the timers programed. i bought the longer timers but have yet to get the stupid things to their max.

MattsCraft
03-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Strange proccess and a bit of a pain but followed step by step this works. This states max 6 minutes, but this was from the 6 minute timers. Same process for the 20 minute, I think I went to about 12 minutes or so to fill the rear sacs. I lost track exactly when flipping the switchs.

hbomb
03-22-2011, 09:19 PM
thanks Thrall and MattsCraft.......
my main concern was getting the thing out of the water onto the trailer...... the added weight but being a standard X2 2007 system, that it appears is not an issue..... then as said, I would pull the hoses and empty into the bilge when on the trailer...... thats good news....
impellors...... currently replacing the three pumps with the green ones......
we have also been looking at the upgrade ballast kit from wakemakers....seems a great system and the guys there are very helpful..... a project for the not too distant future
thanks again guys for the invaluable advice

ttu
03-22-2011, 09:42 PM
matt, i installed the 20 min timers. i "thought" out of the box they would be programmed already to that.

tried the instructions you showed but never got it to set right. will do again when i put the battery back in the boat in the next few weeks.

g-mantrix
03-24-2011, 07:03 AM
I did the install of extra ballast to the rear only. I have the 455lb sacs in each rear locker fed from the tank overflow, and the overflow from the bags into the outlet out the side. Whilst I did this, I fitted the green impellors, also turned the 2 rear pumps upside down, and switched the pump head 180deg. All working well, just timing out before ballast bags are full. I just couldnt see to spend another $100 for each timer, so right now I fill to top up manually.
Has anyone got a pic of the timers so I can see what they look like...I have on the rear port side 3 black boxes, they have a "20" in small white print on each of the black boxes...are these the timers? and can I assume I have 20min timers, in which case I will reprogram.

When I need extra weight at the front, I am manually filling fat sacs 300lb ea, have run 2 in the front
wake pretty sweet

pics of these timer thingys would be appreciated :)

Thumbs
03-24-2011, 03:20 PM
My '07 Maristar did not have any factory ballast so installed a bunch. My overflow/empty are both just below the rub rail- I put them at that level to see the water flow without having to visually inspect the bags. After using the system for a while I would prefer to have the drainage go back through the inlet (if that is faster). My question- which way does the intake scupper (sp?) face? I installed mine so that the opening faces the front of the boat. Reading that the factory system drains through the same opening and that it drains better at speed has me thinking that I should reverse the mounting of mine so that the opening is to the rear and the leading edge is solid.

Can anyone confirm the factory orientation?

Thanks,
Randy

MattsCraft
03-24-2011, 04:08 PM
They are basically flat grids about 1.5" diameter, not like the raw water intake.

MattsCraft
03-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Also FYI, just checked according to the article specs from Transworld Wakeboarding, 2011 stock ballast for the X2 is now 890# and 805# on the X25.

jason@wakemakers.com
03-24-2011, 07:15 PM
My '07 Maristar did not have any factory ballast so installed a bunch. My overflow/empty are both just below the rub rail- I put them at that level to see the water flow without having to visually inspect the bags. After using the system for a while I would prefer to have the drainage go back through the inlet (if that is faster). My question- which way does the intake scupper (sp?) face? I installed mine so that the opening faces the front of the boat. Reading that the factory system drains through the same opening and that it drains better at speed has me thinking that I should reverse the mounting of mine so that the opening is to the rear and the leading edge is solid.

Can anyone confirm the factory orientation?

Thanks,
Randy
Do not reverse your scupper intake, you need to replace it with a Mushroom intake (http://www.wakemakers.com/wakeboard-ballast-parts?cat=22) of the appropriate size in order to be able to fill or drain at speed.

Did you use a flexible vane impeller pump (like a Jabsco or Johnson) for your system?