PDA

View Full Version : Need to Vent

ps205
11-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Sorry guys I just need to vent some frustration. Please understand that I like my dealer very much but I just went to pick up my boat from winterization and the bill was 415.00??? Are you kidding me? Oil change, winterization, and new impeller(of which I did not ask them to change) is worth 415? This is out of line. I want to do all of this myself but don't really have a big enough garage to do it but I am going to find a way....

Anyway sorry but I needed to get that off my chest....

Thrall
11-20-2010, 11:10 AM
So you didn't get a quote for the work to be done before turning thm loose on it? :confused:

mzito
11-20-2010, 11:12 AM
What area is the dealer in?

mccobmd
11-20-2010, 11:12 AM
My annual winterizing with my dealer is usually $275 which is worth it to me. I had a new fuel filter and all the impellars in my ballast pumps changed along with adjusment of my throttle which was sticking in reverse and the total was around $500. I feel your pain but I am paying for peace of mind and time spent.

1redTA
11-20-2010, 11:23 AM
shouldn't new impellers be installed as part of the de-winterization? As far as space to do the work, I do it in the driveway :-)

LaRue
11-20-2010, 11:42 AM
I am considering my own winterization next year however i pay $190 which includes engine oil and filter, transmission oil and filter (did not change this year and they knocked $25 off price), drain engine, fogging, fuel stabilizer and overall inspection.

Kevin&Annie
11-20-2010, 12:00 PM
shouldn't new impellers be installed as part of the de-winterization? As far as space to do the work, I do it in the driveway :-)

I'm with 1redTA on this one. Winterization is easy and cheap to do yourself. You could do it anywhere.

Jim@BAWS
11-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Ok... I appreciate your wanting to vent. What items where done during winterization?

a) Impellar change $129.95??
b) Oil change $69.95 + disposal
c) 3-5 gallons on environmental antifreeze
d) open and drain the block, exhaust manifolds, rear drains
e) Change transmission fluid?

What do you feel this is worth? $250??? $350??? $450???

Did the dealer have his prices advertized???

Did you get a quote in advance???

Winterization is not a big deal on a Direct drive inboard. Now a boat w/ ballast and all the extra
goodies take time...

I dont think you expect the dealer to do it for free!!! What do you expect?

It is obvious that I am playing the devils advocate!!!

Jim@BAWS

Bouyhead
11-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Sorry guys I just need to vent some frustration. Please understand that I like my dealer very much but I just went to pick up my boat from winterization and the bill was 415.00??? Are you kidding me? Oil change, winterization, and new impeller(of which I did not ask them to change) is worth 415? This is out of line. I want to do all of this myself but don't really have a big enough garage to do it but I am going to find a way....

Expensive yes, out of line? not really. Although I do all my own work my marina charges $310 to winterize an inboard engine. Includes oil,filter,fog and up to 5 gallons of non-tox antifreeze.

east tx skier
11-20-2010, 02:08 PM
I think this is ridiculously expensive. But it seems within the range I have seen for winterization packages.

Not getting the quote in advance was the mistake.

$50 and a few hours to do it myself. Learned how to do it the first year I had my 93 Pro Star.

TX.X-30 fan
11-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Do yo drain the windshield washer fluid??

ps205
11-20-2010, 02:34 PM
No Jim I assumed the dealer would do it for free... really you have to add that remark?

Anyway, I am very confused now that I got to looking at my bill.

First off Impeller change was 1/2 hour labor @ 125.00 hour.
Next, Oil change 1 hour @ 65.00 hour.
Finally, Winterization 1 hour @ 155.00 hour.

Why the different hourly rates? Is this normal? Also I pulled last years bill and the winterization was 1 hour @ 185.00 hour?

What is that all about?????

Kevin&Annie
11-20-2010, 02:45 PM
I don't understand why the winterization would take more than an hour TOTAL. That includes an oil change. I've done it too many times. Now, ballast...that may add some time. I have never done a wakeboat. But a 190?(or 205 in this case)..I have that down pat.

Yellow X9
11-20-2010, 04:20 PM
UHMMMM, I do my own...

Drain Engine / Exhaust Manifolds
3.5 Gallons of Anti-freeze $ 40.00 take me 4 gallons at $10 bucks a gallon Engine and Ballast are winterized
Stabil for the gas $ 9.00
Silicone spray the Hoses $ 6.00
6-Pack $ 7.00 give or take a buck
Foging the Engine-I'll pass
Total cleaning of the Interior

For $ 62 bucks, i'll do it myself

it takes me 20mins start to finish to Winterize the engine
Drain/ and refill with Antifreeze. Take longer to pull the Engine cover
than the Engine winterizing.

I have a Direct Drive-so everything is easily gotten to.

Total time spent 1.5hrs for all the above

Dealership service depts are there for folks that either don't have the time or the knowledge to service there boats / Vehicles, they all have hourly rates, this should come as no supprize to anyone. There not there to work for free....Wanna Play yo gonna pay.

The8Ball
11-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Need to stay away from the dealer.

Doing it yourself... or hiring someone local - who you can trust... that does good work has the following benefits:

1.) You learn the in's and out's of your boat, in intimate detail.
2.) Costs way less than the dealer.

TX.X-30 fan
11-20-2010, 05:37 PM
If done properly 300/400 is not outrageous for the work. I always love when the attorney who bills 400 an hour will b!tch to high heaven how the electrician charged him 85 an hour.......

Everyone thinks what they get paid for their labor is reasonable but nobody else has a right to make a fair profit. The pharmaceutical salesman that makes 175,000 a year for delivering donuts and kalaches can't imagine paying 800 for a new garage door.............:rolleyes:

vision
11-20-2010, 06:15 PM
While I winterize my boat myself, we have a local Indmar certified mechanic who comes to our lake that winterizes inboards for $150.

Now, keep in mind he is 90% winterizing, not annual maintenance, for this cost. He does change the engine oil and filter, but he is not doing the other annual maintenance issues, just making sure your boat will be safe through the winter and ready to go in the Spring.

I think one of the reasons for large variability in winterization costs is that some shops just winterize, and some also perform annual maintenance. It is logical to do the maintenance at the time of winterization since the boat is in the shop. But, it is not required. Heck, I do my annual maintenance items in July when it is warm. But the annual maintenance list recommended by MC is long.

Bottom line, $400 for winterize is damn high. $400 for winterization and all the annual maintenance items recommended by MC, sounds about right.

east tx skier
11-20-2010, 07:34 PM
No Jim I assumed the dealer would do it for free... really you have to add that remark?

Why the different hourly rates? Is this normal? Also I pulled last years bill and the winterization was 1 hour @ 185.00 hour?

They may not have charged you the high rate for the time they were waiting for the oil to drain with a pump. You're basically getting charged for taking up space during the oil change from the looks of it. Nice of them.

east tx skier
11-20-2010, 07:36 PM
If done properly 300/400 is not outrageous for the work. I always love when the attorney who bills 400 an hour will b!tch to high heaven how the electrician charged him 85 an hour.......

I'll biatch about the electrician rates all I want, thank you. ;)

To be honest, I don't know too many attorneys that charge 300/400 per hour. If you want to pay for big firm letterhead, you deserve to get charged big firm rates and have a first year, sleep deprived associate do all the work. Otherwise, you can get excellent representation for just a bit more than your MC dealer charges you per hour to change the impeller and have the lawyer you hired do the work. Don't get me wrong, lawyers are damned expensive. Glad to be comped on that one.

Personally, I could probably make more money changing impellers.

TX.X-30 fan
11-20-2010, 08:49 PM
I try not to miss your posts always entertaining compadre. I think JohnE is 125 an hour and you have to lock the liquor cabinet......:(

Skipper
11-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Some scientists recently conducted a study to determine how different people would solve a simple math problem. They gathered a 1st grader, high school kid, engineer, and a lawyer. They brought the 1st grader into the room and asked him "what is 2 + 2?" The kid counted on his fingers and proudly announced "4". Then the high school kid came in. Same question. He whipped out his cell phone and used the calculator app to come up with "4". The engineer was next. He brought in several computers and a printer. After about ten minutes worth of calculations and about six feet of paper out of the printer he firmly announced "4". Finally, the lawyer came into the room. The scientists asked "what is 2 + 2?" The lawyer looked around the room, closed the door, and asked "What do you want it to be?"

mccobmd
11-21-2010, 12:38 AM
UHMMMM, I do my own...

Dealership service depts are there for folks that either don't have the time or the knowledge to service there boats / Vehicles, they all have hourly rates, this should come as no supprize to anyone. There not there to work for free....Wanna Play yo gonna pay.

Now that almost perfectly describes me on both counts. My dealer will always give me a quote ahead of time but I don't wait for it. After 4 years and some upgrade almost each year they do a pretty good job. For what I put that includes the ballast system. It's good for me, good for them. I admire those of you who DIY but I drop the boat off and go do some demo's at Guitar Center. BLUF- Sticker shock is less if you check the sticker before you get stuck.-

skierdan
11-21-2010, 02:56 AM
you would be amazed what i would do for 400 dollars an hour..........

skierdan
11-21-2010, 02:57 AM
but i winterize my boat for free.... was a condition of the sale. previous owner had to show me everything. i took notes and pictures. an hour of my time showed me everything I would ever need to do on my own.

mbpd312
11-21-2010, 07:38 AM

Everyone thinks what they get paid for their labor is reasonable but nobody else has a right to make a fair profit. The pharmaceutical salesman that makes 175,000 a year for delivering donuts and kalaches can't imagine paying 800 for a new garage door.............:rolleyes:

TX.X-30,
We dont even have the budgets for a box of donuts anymore!! This does not make the overweight staff very happy!!

east tx skier
11-21-2010, 10:29 AM
I try not to miss your posts always entertaining compadre. I think JohnE is 125 an hour and you have to lock the liquor cabinet......:(

Isn't that sad. :)

east tx skier
11-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Some scientists recently conducted a study to determine how different people would solve a simple math problem. They gathered a 1st grader, high school kid, engineer, and a lawyer. They brought the 1st grader into the room and asked him "what is 2 + 2?" The kid counted on his fingers and proudly announced "4". Then the high school kid came in. Same question. He whipped out his cell phone and used the calculator app to come up with "4". The engineer was next. He brought in several computers and a printer. After about ten minutes worth of calculations and about six feet of paper out of the printer he firmly announced "4". Finally, the lawyer came into the room. The scientists asked "what is 2 + 2?" The lawyer looked around the room, closed the door, and asked "What do you want it to be?"

My favorite lawyer joke! :D

JimN
11-21-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm with 1redTA on this one. Winterization is easy and cheap to do yourself. You could do it anywhere.

Cheap? WRT to materials, yes. Easy? Not if you do EVERYTHING that should be done in the geographical areas where extreme cold, salt water and corrosion are a problem. Does this include servicing the trailer if it's not left on the water? Does it include running it up to normal operating temperature with fuel stabilizer before draining the oil and fogging?

I'm not disagreeing that most people can do it but many winterize their own boats as a reaction to being gouged and don't know everything that needs to be done.

JimN
11-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Need to stay away from the dealer.

Doing it yourself... or hiring someone local - who you can trust... that does good work has the following benefits:

1.) You learn the in's and out's of your boat, in intimate detail.
2.) Costs way less than the dealer.

OK, so in the event that something goes wrong and the block, manifolds or heater core crack, who's stuck paying for the freeze damage? I'm not saying the bill was fair but insurance, overhead and prevailing rates has a lot to do with how much someone charges. That said, I'd like to see this dealer detail exactly what was done. I saw that they didn't use a pump- that tells me that they're too cheap to do oil changes efficiently.

JohnE
11-22-2010, 08:50 AM

I'm usually too hung over to think about raiding the liquor cabinets of my customers.:D

But I do charge a lot less than my attorney does.:(

scott023
11-22-2010, 09:38 AM

I had to learn that the hard way....

Hollywood
11-22-2010, 01:23 PM

This is just wrong. They are triple dipping you on the labor, unless of course the technician is sitting there for 45 minutes watching the oil drain and not working on something else. When I got in a little trouble with the county and was on probation for breaking the law, I got in trouble again. My original probation had to run out before they started the next one, they were not run simultaneously. This is not how vehicle service is run. There is a word to describe how the time has to expire before the next one starts, but I cannot think of it right now.

This is right. Clearly you are getting ripped off, last year's bill is proof of this. If they try to tell you that's how long they actually worked on your boat, they are EXTREMELY slow at what they are doing and you need to find another shop.

It wouldn't take much to learn how to do all of that yourself either. Find someone on here in your area who can show you the ropes in an afternoon.

east tx skier
11-22-2010, 03:28 PM
This is just wrong. They are triple dipping you on the labor, unless of course the technician is sitting there for 45 minutes watching the oil drain and not working on something else. When I got in a little trouble with the county and was on probation for breaking the law, I got in trouble again. My original probation had to run out before they started the next one, they were not run simultaneously. This is not how vehicle service is run. There is a word to describe how the time has to expire before the next one starts, but I cannot think of it right now.

Consecutive or stacked sentencing comes to mind ... versus concurrent sentences.

Archimedes
11-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Toyota dealer tried to charge me for 9 hours of labor to fix my Land Cruiser once - except the truck was only in the shop for 6.5 hours from the time I dropped it off in the morning until I picked it up in the afternoon. When I laughed and asked them how they bent the space time continuum, they told me they bill whatever the 'job' states it should take, not the actual hours they worked. I told them I was then going to be paying them the amount I thought I should be paying them then, not the actual amount they were asking me to pay for it. Paid for 6 hours of labor and never went back.

scott023
11-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Toyota dealer tried to charge me for 9 hours of labor to fix my Land Cruiser once - except the truck was only in the shop for 6.5 hours from the time I dropped it off in the morning until I picked it up in the afternoon. When I laughed and asked them how they bent the space time continuum, they told me they bill whatever the 'job' states it should take, not the actual hours they worked. I told them I was then going to be paying them the amount I thought I should be paying them then, not the actual amount they were asking me to pay for it. Paid for 6 hours of labor and never went back.

That's freaking classic. :D

Hollywood
11-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Consecutive or stacked sentencing comes to mind ... versus concurrent sentences.

Perfect, thank you.

Kevin&Annie
11-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Cheap? WRT to materials, yes. Easy? Not if you do EVERYTHING that should be done in the geographical areas where extreme cold, salt water and corrosion are a problem. Does this include servicing the trailer if it's not left on the water? Does it include running it up to normal operating temperature with fuel stabilizer before draining the oil and fogging?

I'm not disagreeing that most people can do it but many winterize their own boats as a reaction to being gouged and don't know everything that needs to be done.

JimN, Yes to all but the trailer. Is the trailer the hard part? I just back it in the garage and grease the bearings in the spring. What else is there really?

TX.X-30 fan
11-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Was there coffee and donuts in the waiting room?

2004-X30
12-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Winterize my X-30 at Performance Marina TN. fall 2009 cost $440 ( Oil & filter and new impellers motor & ballast) Fall 2010 new Mastercraft dealership winterize,new impellers,tranmission fluid,tune up,and switch for ballast $1,015 It was hard to believe that a tune up (new dis.cap)and switch for the ballast is $575. I will not be back to that dealership and is something that Mastercraft needs to look into!

milkmania
12-18-2010, 02:11 PM
you would be amazed what i would do for 400 dollars an hour..........

http://www.therideinstyle.com/rimshot.gif

milkmania
12-18-2010, 02:16 PM

where you located?

JimN
12-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Winterize my X-30 at Performance Marina TN. fall 2009 cost $440 ( Oil & filter and new impellers motor & ballast) Fall 2010 new Mastercraft dealership winterize,new impellers,tranmission fluid,tune up,and switch for ballast $1,015 It was hard to believe that a tune up (new dis.cap)and switch for the ballast is $575. I will not be back to that dealership and is something that Mastercraft needs to look into!

Don't take this the wrong way, but....

Did you ask for an itemized list of the costs BEFORE you let them start? That's SOP at a lot of dealers. It's also being a smart consumer. Look into the cost of the parts and tell them that you don't want them to gouge you on the prices. I use the Borg Warner Gold series cap & rotor on my truck and it's the same one you have. It comes with a lifetime warranty and I got it at O'Reilley's Auto Parts. I doubt I paid more than $30 for both. I replaced both in August and it only cost me a little time, even though it was 90 degrees and humid.

BTW- a "tune-up" is more than a new distributor cap. If you paid for a tune-up and didn't ask for documentation and verbal information about what would be done, you need to learn more about your boat and motor.

Anyone with a car, truck or boat who tells someone "just do it" when they take that vehicle in for service is either unaware that they're gonna get reamed or has more money than brains. Doing a little research would have saved you a lot of money.

ShamrockIV
12-18-2010, 05:04 PM
stand on your head working on a vdrive for awhile and you will see why they charge what they do. plus what if your block freezes? doesnt that 500 buy you some insurance??

TX.X-30 fan
12-18-2010, 05:21 PM
stand on your head working on a vdrive for awhile and you will see why they charge what they do. plus what if your block freezes? doesnt that 500 buy you some insurance??

Good point for sure, I guess they did plugs too and 6 are easy and 2 are a big bear to remove.

Jerseydave
12-18-2010, 05:34 PM

Sorry to hear, maybe there was more work done than you say?
They should have changed your trans filter also (not easy) and fuel filter in the tank (time consuming) and checked your engine alignment (pita)? These 3 items alone take some extra time. did they change your plugs wires along with the cap and rotor? 7 years on wires would be long enough to replace them IMHO.

JimN
12-18-2010, 07:20 PM

If, by 'insurance', you mean the customer gets to blame the dealership in the event that the job isn't done correctly, yes.

IMO, anyone who works on a boat with a V-drive and doesn't come up with a way to keep the cover open farther than just using the ram isn't very creative. I used a section of ski rope with a snap hook on one end and a loop on the other. The snap hook clipped onto the bracket at the under-side of the lid and the loop went around the short ski pylon. It would hang open by quite a bit past 90 degrees open and it was really easy to get in and out of the storage compartments. I'm a big guy and I didn't mind working back there, at all.

Viktimize
12-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Sounds to me like you got a decent deal. I would've expected to pay double that where I'm from.

helton333
12-18-2010, 09:53 PM
I pay $230 for exactly the same service - every year.

flya750
12-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Dealer Service rate $125 per hour.. that is ludicrous!!! I am a 21 year IT veteran and I don't charge that much per hour... And what is the $155 per hour s!@#!!T???

tex
12-19-2010, 11:25 AM

To be honest, I don't know too many attorneys that charge 300/400 per hour. If you want to pay for big firm letterhead, you deserve to get charged big firm rates and have a first year, sleep deprived associate do all the work. Otherwise, you can get excellent representation for just a bit more than your MC dealer charges you per hour to change the impeller and have the lawyer you hired do the work. Don't get me wrong, lawyers are damned expensive. Glad to be comped on that one.

I had a friend want to charge my wife $340 for 1 hours work to send out a simple letter! New lawyer and new friend was found quickly!

JimN
12-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Dealer Service rate $125 per hour.. that is ludicrous!!! I am a 21 year IT veteran and I don't charge that much per hour... And what is the $155 per hour s!@#!!T???

I know an interior designer who charges $400/hour- what's your point? They charge what the market will bear, just like any other method of pricing. Now, getting them to justify their existence is another story. Some dealers raise their labor rates for the sole reason that the guy down the street did it, so they want to get the same. The flaw in this thinking is that a high shop labor rate doesn't equal better service, although many people think it does.

Before I pay anyone that much, for anything, I want to see their successes. I want certifications for the guy who's working on my stuff. I want to hear people's glowing accounts of this place and I don't want to hear that they cut corners, used cheap parts and charged the usual price, I don't want to hear people arguing when I go to these places and I don't want new faces every time I go there.

Maybe you need to charge more, or maybe your area won't support higher rates the way larger cities will.

jdl xstar
03-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Was just charged over $100/hr for some tune up issues and thought it was rather high. Bill came to $675 and $450 of it was labor.... Wasn't thrilled about it obviously. Just proves that not a single aspect of owning a boat is cheap.

aaron.
03-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Before I pay anyone that much, for anything, I want to see their successes. I want certifications for the guy who's working on my stuff. I want to hear people's glowing accounts of this place and I don't want to hear that they cut corners, used cheap parts and charged the usual price, I don't want to hear people arguing when I go to these places and I don't want new faces every time I go there.

Maybe you need to charge more, or maybe your area won't support higher rates the way larger cities will.

and i don't want BLACK GREASY HAND/FINGER PRINTS all over my boat. Damn guys charging $150/hr can afford to wash their hands and check their feet before jumping into my boat!!! :mad:

craig3972
03-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Sounds to me like you got a decent deal. I would've expected to pay double that where I'm from.

Yeah I thought Martin Equipt. was around $650 including ballast tanks.
I do like the fact that if thay do it and the block breaks - its on them and not me. That being said, Ive always done all my own winterizing. I like to have a look around in thier with a more sympathetic eye than a guy who has 50 boats to winterize.

CantRepeat
03-18-2011, 12:55 PM
I hear ya. But as someone has said, standing on your head to change an impeller or ballast impellers isn't all that fun. I would bet they are charging your by the hour and it's a couple of hours work easy. I think the going rate at my dealer for labor is $89 per hour. So you are already a couple hundred into them for just that. Toss in some parts, and maybe 4 hours of labor billed and you are on track.

So, this thread lends it's self to being able to either do or learn to do the work yourself. Safety always being the overriding factor. If you can't safely do the job then you should probably pay a pro to do it.

j4rowell
03-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Sounds like you learned a valuable lesson; Ask for costs up front.

j4rowell
03-18-2011, 01:15 PM

I would love to have you change mine. That way when my buddies come over and ask "Who's the guy working on your boat?" I can tell them that's my attorney... why? Yours doesn't do this for you?

JimN
03-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Was just charged over $100/hr for some tune up issues and thought it was rather high. Bill came to $675 and $450 of it was labor.... Wasn't thrilled about it obviously. Just proves that not a single aspect of owning a boat is cheap.

You need to show what they did. Saying that you think $100 is too much without specifying what was done is just like talking to a wall.

I don't remember anyone ever saying that boat ownership is a bargain. That's why comments like "BOAT stands for 'Break Out Another Thousand'" began. At the risk of sounding like I think they all do things correctly (I absolutely DO NOT think this), try running a boat dealership. Some parts of the country don't have a drastic drop off when the "season" ends because people can, and do, use their boats all year. In colder places, it's feast or famine because the end of the season means there's more time to do things than things to do, in some cases. If the dealership markets and positions their operation well, they'll have plenty to do all winter but in more sparsely populated areas, this doesn't happen and this means that most of the staff is laid off. It also means that they run the risk of losing people because of this and every year, it's like starting over. If certified mechanics leave and none stay, the dealer loses the ability to service boats efficiently, correctly and any warranty claims will be paid at a lower rate.

This, and the fact that too many dealerships are owned by people with more money than knowledge of the marine industry, makes it a very bumpy landscape for the dealers and, unfortunately, boat owners.

Q- How do you make a small fortune in the marine industry?
A- You start with a large one.

ahhudgins
03-18-2011, 01:31 PM
With age comes wisdom:
Either learn to do something or pay someone else to do it.
Always get an estimate before any work is done and ask to be notified of any changes.
Never pay a contractor in full up front.

CantRepeat
03-18-2011, 01:52 PM
I would love to have you change mine. That way when my buddies come over and ask "Who's the guy working on your boat?" I can tell them that's my attorney... why? Yours doesn't do this for you?

NICE!! :D:D

And he does all the boat work Pro Bono!

josepcedwards
03-18-2011, 02:44 PM
My local dealer wanted to charge me $175 for an oil change!!!!! Yes JUST an oil change!

muskingumriverdocks
03-18-2011, 04:07 PM

I do several of the boats at my dock and charge $350.00. Change engine oil ,lower unit gear grease,drain block and manifolds,run anti-freeze fog engine and remove battery(if asked) this includes cleaning the bottom as most are left in all season. but I don't have the overhead like a dealer does.

Cmpdman
03-18-2011, 04:18 PM
I generally pay about $350-$450 for full summerization. I have them go through everything, including trailer, brakes, test pumps, etc. I usually show the shop what I paid last year and what was done. I keep a copy of the maintenance records in the boat. In the past I've paid $150 for summerization but it did not include ballast, test pumps, trailer brakes, etc.

ddanenberger
03-18-2011, 04:24 PM
flat rate for winterization at the shop we use is 399.99. I assume the rates indicated as hourly were fixed rates not billing rates. Our invoice although it shows hours is all at fixed rates.

east tx skier
03-18-2011, 05:59 PM

I take cash. :)

UofU2727
03-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Let's see here. Okay, it's fine to vent. However, put it into perspective. My father owned a shop and between overhead and everything, it isn't cheap to stay in buisness. On the other side I had the advantage of learning how to work on engines. My total coast last year to winterize the boat $50 bucks. If I were to do it for someone I'd charge nothing less than $200 just to run anti-freeze through the engine. It's my time you see and my time isn't cheap. Add a few of those titantic X55 MC with ballast, even more it's gonna cost ya, not to mention he put in an impeller. So $400 seems about right.

jdl xstar
03-21-2011, 10:33 AM
You need to show what they did. Saying that you think $100 is too much without specifying what was done is just like talking to a wall.

I'm "OK" with paying it, but the sticker shock still gets me every time.

the labor was for 4+ hrs and the following was done:

Change impellor
Add snaps to new carpet
Clear out clogged transcooler
Install water intake filter
Replace speaker light bulb
Oil change

Finnsdad
03-21-2011, 10:41 AM
I go to a local boat repair shop. Last fall my bill was $60 labor, I supplied the parts. That includes oil change, drain block and fill with antifreeze, change impeller, fog engine. How's that for a deal?