PDA

View Full Version : ratchet style covers

Kyle
11-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a ratchet style cover for a 91-94 190 or if it is even made. I like how they look and how easy they are to put on and take off.

I would like a new cover so that when I travel the boat will not get dusty or rained on during the night. I would not trailer with the cover on unless I have some kind of underwear cover like sodar has. I also dont want the draw string style with the trailer straps on the side.

How do they hold up during a rain storm? If they leak and everything gets wet then I should just keep using the old cover that I have, as my boat is indoor under a fan when not in use.

ttu
11-19-2010, 09:55 AM
here you go. in my opinion simply the best cover made! this cover blows away my mc cover. not cheap but worth every penny.

http://evolutioncovers.com/

east tx skier
11-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Yes, I think evolution is the place to go for MC covers. The way it shook out was that Cory from Evolution and Brent from Coversports both worked at Rankin. At some point, they struck out on their own. Brent does the Nautique covers and Cory does the Malibu Covers and presumably will do MC covers as well. When I called evolution and spoke to Cory in 07, he referred me to Brent.

Confused yet?

These ratchet covers are amazing. Both Cory and Brent are making pretty much the same cover.

Example of how well they fit. :)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_1gl9obJSimU/St_WPM0JWkI/AAAAAAAACfQ/BZ81INwsrDw/Cover%201.JPG

Kyle
11-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Thank you sir

mccobmd
11-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Hey Eastie, that's a nice "Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG" used as a model for a great cover. Not my style, but been behind one and it's nice. We ski that and wakeboard my X1

east tx skier
11-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks! Diff'rent strokes. :)

dfd22120
11-20-2010, 10:46 PM
What are we talking when you say they are "not cheap?" Are they vented in any way? I don't see a vent in the few pictures that are on the website.

Kyle
11-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Does anyone know why the evolution covers don't cover the entire back of the boat? Seems like there are straps on the back instead of the covers coming down to the rub rail. Guess I don't get the concept of the design.

ttu
11-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Does anyone know why the evolution covers don't cover the entire back of the boat? Seems like there are straps on the back instead of the covers coming down to the rub rail. Guess I don't get the concept of the design.

kyle, i don't think they make one that covers the platform. they are designed to tow and store the boat. no center poles. they are water tight. they use a "hook" type design that goes under the rub rail. i had one when i used to own a 05 supra ssv 22. bet i towed with the cover on 2000 miles and that cover was awesome.

when my factory mc cover for my 07 mc goes to crap i will order another one for sure.

Kyle
11-21-2010, 08:40 PM
I am not looking to cover the platform. Just cover the back all the way down to the rub rail. The back of easties nauti girl and the bu on their website both show what I am talking about. The cover stops about a foot short from the rubrail on the transom. Why that style of design?

east tx skier
11-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Those straps on the back are how you get the cover to draw tight across the top. Then, there's the ratchet under the rubrail to cinch up the draw string. There's really not much that's not being covered. If you do want to cover the platform, they'll make you an attachment.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_1gl9obJSimU/St_WPJ6HR6I/AAAAAAAACfU/WRuHzS5vJfM/Cover2.JPG

Kyle
11-21-2010, 10:31 PM
I see now that it keeps the top from sagging. What if the left the straps in the same locations but had the cover go to the rail then you could have the best of both worlds. Eastie what are we looking at in $$$$. Thanks for the pic. Exactly what I was talking about.

east tx skier
11-21-2010, 11:00 PM
There's really no advantage to having the cover go over the rail unless you want to go full out and cover the swim platform, at which point you can spring for the attachment that velcros in place. I think they will do waterline skirts, too.

For a closed bow no tower in early 2008, I got mine for $725 delivered. That was after the $50 upcharge for red. Not sure how evolution's pricing compares.

Shooter McKevin
11-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi Kyle,

I talked to Cory at Evolution Covers about a cover for my 2000 PS190 last February. He quoted $815 plus delivery (with tower cut-outs). I would buy one in a second but the closest pattern he has is for a '94 PS190 (you're in luck).

I think they are in Mill Creek, WA. If anyone near there with a 98-00 PS190 would let him measure your boat I'd owe you one big time!!.

Kevin

Kyle
11-23-2010, 04:58 PM
I have a buddy with 03 209. Is the evolution cover better than the factoy Mastercraft cover? My buddy is looking at purchasing a cover and wants the better cover.

epnault
11-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Guys,
I have a 02 209 and got a new MC rachet style cover and love it. MC teamed up with a great manufacturer for covers that stand behind their work. They tow great and work great at the lake.

Shooter McKevin
11-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Hi epnault,

Does your cover use rubrail clips or trailer straps?

I checked with my MC dealer last year and they had zero cover options for me. They just said to try a local canvas shop. (I talked to 2 shops and neither could make what I wanted). I wonder if this has changed and the new MC cover manufacturer is making them for the earlier models? I guess I should call them (cringe... they are sooo terrible to deal with). Any dealers on here know if you can order one for a 2000 PS190?

Thanks

epnault
11-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Hello Shooter,
I worked with my dealer on it but I know the sewing company very well as we use them for our OE sleds, ATVs, motorcycles, and SxS's. I think you have to go through a dealer if you want one. If you don't like your dealer give Corey a call at Midwest Mastercraft in Minneapolis.

E - corey@waterskis.com
P - 800.625.9666

Essentially the cover uses 3 poles internally and rachet strap around the entire rub rail. I have a tower on mine so there are 4 clips underneath each pole on the rub rail.

There are 2 safety straps in the back that attach to the lift hooks and 2 safety straps that attach to the trailer fender. These safety straps are not essential to the cover staying on like you would see on those cheap arse covers-you don't have to use them. They are small and they don't rub against the boat while trailering so I use them. It is a great cover.

Shooter McKevin
02-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Hey Kyle, Did you end up getting a new boat cover?

I'm still having a hell of a time. My dealer was useless as expected. I think I'll fire Midwest Mastercraft an email right now, or maybe Washington Watersports they are a lot closer.

I just emailed these guys but it's kind of a shot in the dark.
http://www.commercialsewing.com/vacuhold.html
Looks like this cover trailers really nice though.

TayMC197
02-02-2011, 07:33 PM
I am not looking to cover the platform. Just cover the back all the way down to the rub rail. The back of easties nauti girl and the bu on their website both show what I am talking about. The cover stops about a foot short from the rubrail on the transom. Why that style of design?

Maybe they do that to allow fumes to vent? Just a guess...

Kyle
02-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Hey Kyle, Did you end up getting a new boat cover?

I'm still having a hell of a time. My dealer was useless as expected. I think I'll fire Midwest Mastercraft an email right now, or maybe Washington Watersports they are a lot closer.

I just emailed these guys but it's kind of a shot in the dark.
http://www.commercialsewing.com/vacuhold.html
Looks like this cover trailers really nice though.

Nice cover. Would be nice if they made covers for our old boats.

Shooter McKevin
02-02-2011, 07:51 PM
I guess that means you didn't order an Evolution Cover?

Kyle
02-02-2011, 08:11 PM
I guess that means you didn't order an Evolution Cover?

Nope. I want the back covered like the Mastercraft covers. His cover is open in the back. I don't see spending $800 for a design that I don't like. If the back was covered then he probably would have sold a cover.

My cover is the factory 93 cover and it has some wear n tear on it. Minor snags and some small holes like a moth ate through it when it was folded up in some places. As far as my usage, the boat is in a dry storage under a celing fan at all times when not traveling to or from the lake. I can deal with tiny holes less than a cigarette burn on my cover as it's for indoor use only. It keeps bugs and dust out while in my storage-shop.

I will get what I want if I am spending 1k. Just sayin

bturner2
02-02-2011, 09:25 PM
The commercial sewing covers are nice but they're not that water proof (at least after a year or two) and mine leaves black marks anywhere it touches the vinyl. I've also had to have the seams sewn in several places. The cover is on it's fourth season and to be fair I didn't own it for the first two seasons so I don't know how it was used during this period.

I was thinking about replacing mine with one from skiboatcovers.com. I had one from them on my 95 MariStar 200 for 8 years and it still was in decent shape and didn't leak. Just trying to decide if I want to struggle one more year with the stock MasterCraft cover or spend the money and get one I know will perform better.

east tx skier
02-02-2011, 09:45 PM
The commercial sewing covers are nice but they're not that water proof (at least after a year or two) and mine leaves black marks anywhere it touches the vinyl. I've also had to have the seams sewn in several places. The cover is on it's fourth season and to be fair I didn't own it for the first two seasons so I don't know how it was used during this period.

I was thinking about replacing mine with one from skiboatcovers.com. I had one from them on my 95 MariStar 200 for 8 years and it still was in decent shape and didn't leak. Just trying to decide if I want to struggle one more year with the stock MasterCraft cover or spend the money and get one I know will perform better.

If they're sunbrella, you have to retreat them for them to remain water resistant. Can't help with the black stains.

SWeaver
02-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Are the skiboatcovers.com ones ratchet style? I was looking at the topgun and sunbrella ones. Neither seemed to indicate either way. There is an option for 12 quick release things, but that doesn't sound like the ratchet style. I saw easiest cover, but mine stays out in the sun, and it sounds like sunbrella holds up longer, but I can't find a ratchet with sunbrella.

bturner2
02-03-2011, 07:50 AM
The stock MasterCraft cover is more of a nylon, definitely not Sunbrella. I've used the 303 waterproofing on it both years I've had it but it just seems to let water in real bad. Not sure how much is coming in from the material and what's coming in from the holes from the tower legs. I love the fit of this cover and have towed with it as the company says you can but that's when I started having the seams come apart.

The cover I had from skiboatcovers.com didn't have a ratchet as such although if that's what you want I'm sure they could do that for you. The one I had used plastic clips like the ones on the MasterCraft cover in basically the same places just no ratchet on the back.

JohnE
02-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Nope. I want the back covered like the Mastercraft covers. His cover is open in the back. I don't see spending $800 for a design that I don't like. If the back was covered then he probably would have sold a cover.

It seems like they do that design in order to allow the cover to be as tight as possible. I can see how that would be a better design for my x14. The factory cover has 3 straps to cinch it tight but straps are on top of the fabric of the cover. You won't be able to get the factory cover to cinch as tight as the evolution from what I'm seeing. I like the evolution design better and would just have them add a piece to cover the transom.

east tx skier
02-03-2011, 10:49 AM
It seems like they do that design in order to allow the cover to be as tight as possible. I can see how that would be a better design for my x14. The factory cover has 3 straps to cinch it tight but straps are on top of the fabric of the cover. You won't be able to get the factory cover to cinch as tight as the evolution from what I'm seeing. I like the evolution design better and would just have them add a piece to cover the transom.

The nice things about these companies is that they will make additions like that to cover platforms, transoms, or skirts to cover the sides of the boat if you want them to. You hit the nail on the head though. The exposed transom is about function. For me, I don't care if that part of the boat gets wet.

Shooter McKevin
02-03-2011, 12:25 PM

Good info about Commercial Sewing. I didn't realize they made OEM MC covers. (obvious from the website they did Supra/Bu/SN). Anyone know what years they did MC? I feel like I've read that MasterCraft has had different (better?) covers for the last year or two?

Everyone talks highly of skiboatcovers.com but I've been avoiding them because don't want support poles and trailer straps. I really should just get a quote from them so I know if they even have the pattern for my boat.

Shooter McKevin
02-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Eastie and JohnE need to stop making evolution covers look and sound so nice... I'm going to end up planning a road trip to Seattle this summer just to get a cover made. Heck, it's only 700 mi.

east tx skier
02-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Eastie and JohnE need to stop making evolution covers look and sound so nice... I'm going to end up planning a road trip to Seattle this summer just to get a cover made. Heck, it's only 700 mi.

For the record, mine is Coversports. You can visit them while you're in WA State though! :)

AZx30OD
02-03-2011, 06:59 PM
So all this being said, if I want a cover for my 07 X30 to keep it clean in my garage, and for occasional towing on a dusty road, etc. Would y'all recommend the MC OEM product, or Evolution. Also taking into account ease of installation etc.

jakethebt
02-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Nice looking cover Eastie...

SWeaver
02-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Does anybody make a sunbrella with ratchet that wouldn't be special order?

bturner2
02-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Good info about Commercial Sewing. I didn't realize they made OEM MC covers. (obvious from the website they did Supra/Bu/SN). Anyone know what years they did MC? I feel like I've read that MasterCraft has had different (better?) covers for the last year or two?

Everyone talks highly of skiboatcovers.com but I've been avoiding them because don't want support poles and trailer straps. I really should just get a quote from them so I know if they even have the pattern for my boat.

If you don't want poles or straps then the stock MasterCraft cover from Commercial Covers which was the OEM cover from MC last year is not for you. This has been one of the complaints not so much from me but from my daughter who helps me the most with getting the boat ready and putting it away. The stock cover uses a pair of poles with web strapping that attaches to the front and rear cleats to form a structure to keep the cover tight. Without this structure the cover pools water real bad and water will pour in. Performance with the polls/strapping is much better but as stated in a previous note I still seem to get a lot of water coming in. Putting the polls/strapping up can be a real pain if you've put in a full day and are not in the mood for playing games or you're trying to get the cover on quick before a storm.

Putting the cover on involves attaching the from straps to the front cleats, centering the front poll then pulling the strap over the windshield. You next attach the rear straps to the rear cleats and center the rear poll. Not so bad so far but now you have to take a rather large cover and install it over the boat with this framework in place. If you're on a trailer with two people , clam winds and sunny skies it's really not that bad. Now try to do it with high winds a storm coming and on a shore station. Not so good.

I really hate complaining about this cover because it looks good, it's light weight and when I needed a replacement set of polls (PO didn't provide them with the boat) and called the company they sent me a set for free. Hard to complain about a company that treats customers this way. At this point though with the way I've had to modify the cover so it doesn't mark the seats and the two times I've had to have the seams sewn I'd have a hard time buying another. This tread has me pumped up to replace my cover with a sunbrella cover (most likely from skiboatcovers) and be done with.

Thanks everyone helping me send yet another $900 :D

east tx skier
02-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Nice looking cover Eastie...

Thanks. It's been great. Towing with any cover is dicey in my opinion. They all move some and no matter what, they will last longer the less you tow with them. That said, these ratchet covers will tow without marring the gelcoat.

Putting it on takes only a few minutes on dry land; add a few minutes if you're on the water.

Roll the cover front to back and attach center transom strap to the grab rail. Next, attach the side hooks (4 per side) under the rub rail. Then, attach and cinch the four transom hooks. Finally, cinch the draw string by tightening the ratchet turnbuckle and secure the webbing in the pouch. Done.

east tx skier
02-04-2011, 10:22 AM

I'm not aware of any.

Sodar
02-04-2011, 10:29 AM

When my OEM Sur-last coves bites it, I plan to make some modifications to it and have it remade in Sunbrella black. The Surlast fabric sucks.

Shooter McKevin
02-04-2011, 03:13 PM
bturner2,

Thanks for all of the info. I know now that Commercial Sewing is off the list. (They haven't got back to me yet but I highly doubt they would make me one anyways).

What would make you choose skiboatcovers over evolution?

bturner2
02-04-2011, 03:44 PM
I really don't know anything about evolution other than they get high ratings on this site and we're all a bunch of really picky guys when it comes to our boats.

The cover I had on my 200VRS Maristar was from skiboatcovers.com (locally know as the Canvas Shoppe, they're located in Flint Michigan). It was Sunbrella and was 8 seasons old when I sold the boat and still had at least 2 seasons left in it. I never had to have it repaired and it was very water tight (at least in comparison to the one I have now). The only thing I did to maintain it was wash it and treat it with 303 water proof every other year. Probably the best cover I've owned so far.

bturner2
02-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Well this thread finally made me decide to go ahead and pull the trigger. Went to the in store boat show at Action Water Sports here in Michigan and saw one of the covers from skiboatcovers. Pushed me over the edge and ordered the new cover. It'll be a couple months before I'm able to use it but at least I won't be complaining about the black marks the sure last cover leaves on my cushions or the water that seem to just pour into the boat every time it rains.

SWeaver
02-18-2011, 10:54 PM
I ordered a sunbrella cover from them. 10 days from the order, it arrived. I checked it out, and it looks fantastic. Well made and great customer service.
Thanks for all the info guys!