PDA

View Full Version : X-Star Engine Questions

stewvette
11-18-2010, 06:49 PM
I just sold my 2002 X-9 with MCX. Now Iím looking to buy an X-Star. I was trying to get some opinions on motor choices. Most of the used X-stars have the MCX. It seems hard to find them with the 6.0L. I have talked to a few people that have said only get one with the 6.0L they say that the MCX is under powered and with additional ballast I will not be happy. I was thinking that the MCX must not be that bad or there would not be so many of them. What do you guys think? Those of you that own X-stars with the MCX are you happy with them or do you wish you had more power?

corey
11-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Prior to 2007 most of the X-Stars ran the MCX including the Pro Wakeboard Tour. Propped right this boat drives pretty well even with over ballast. Pre 2007 the 6.0 Liter did not have variable valve timing, ran a partial closed cooling system and was rated at 385 horsepower the cost to benefit just wasn't there.

After 2007 the 6.0 Liter became a lot more popular, I've driven both engine and the LY6 is def more fun to drive especially when weighted. That being said if you see a killer deal on an MCX equipped one invest in a new prop and you're set.

vision
11-18-2010, 08:12 PM
I have an 08 X-star with an MCX. Good gas efficiency and we can throw a big wake that works for everyone one with about 2500 lbs of ballast. We did prop it down some to help out.

If you want the wake you see Parks Bonifay riding, the MCX will struggle as they have a massive amount of weight in the boat.

I have not driven a weighted X-star with the 6.0.

Whether I would select the MCX again or go to the 6.0L if I purchased another X-star would depend on initial cost and fuel efficiency. The MCX works and is reliable. But more torque is never bad. If I could squeeze a few more ft lbs out of the MCX with a mild forced air system, that would be the perfect solution for me.

Jerseydave
11-18-2010, 08:18 PM
My '05 has the MCX. I run about 2100# total ballast with 5-7 people in the boat. Power is fine with a 14.75 X 15.5 prop but keep in mind I am running at sea level. Higher elevations would demand the 6.0 LY6 (and sometimes I crave more power too)

I rode behind and in Andrew Akinson's boat last year which I think has the LY6. Holeshot was much better than mine, but it was loud! (in all fairness maybe the exhaust was not stock but I'm not sure)

My opinion, only look for the 6.0 if you're at higher elevations or you want to run 3000+ lbs of ballast. Otherwise the MCX is fine.

CantRepeat
11-18-2010, 08:24 PM
I need to change my sig to...

[I was not njskier on here]

seth045
11-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Stwevette, Do you happen to know the hole patter size from the 09 X-star trailer wheel? 5 lug, 4.5?
Dave, I'm running a stock prop. I want a smaller prop. Which should I get? 14.75 X 15.5? What size is the stock prop? You know where I'm riding.
Vision, The mild forced air system....how much are they? Is it like a mild turbo charger?
Thanks

Ole Miss Rebels
11-19-2010, 12:33 AM
for xstar with mcx i was told by eric at oj to get te 14.25 X 14.0. it was remarkable. now tht i have an xstar with L18 i have the 14.75 X 15.5 which is a bit upderpropped but i abbsolutely love that combination. at 225 lb. rider is out of the water at 4.8 mph.

bcboy
11-19-2010, 01:14 AM
My 08 X- star has the 6 litre and performs great at all levels of activities...I have always believed it is better to have it....than to need it...I also had the MCX in my X1 and it is a great engine,but think it may not be able to perform as well in the bigger X-star.Good luck finding your boat because I sure LOVE mine!

vision
11-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Stwevette, Do you happen to know the hole patter size from the 09 X-star trailer wheel? 5 lug, 4.5?
Dave, I'm running a stock prop. I want a smaller prop. Which should I get? 14.75 X 15.5? What size is the stock prop? You know where I'm riding.
Vision, The mild forced air system....how much are they? Is it like a mild turbo charger?
Thanks

As for the FA kits, I do not know as I can not find anyone who has done it. There are many supercharger kits available for the 5.7 GM block. But, I assume you would need a different ECM, especially since my engine has a catalytic converter.

I agree with Ole Miss Rebel regarding the prop. Just give Eric at OJ props a call.

seth045
11-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks fellas. Does anyone know the lug pattern on the 5 lug trailer wheel. Is 4.5 right?

Holman J.B.F
11-19-2010, 12:30 PM
mine has the LY6 and my buddy has a MCX,both loaded with a fly high set,i run a 14.75x15.5 he has a 14.25x14.although i strongly believe the 14.75X15.5 will do fine on a mcx.i honestly can,t feel much of a difference between the boats,other than sound.
We have a extra 80kg up front in the bow and ride with only 2 or 3 in the boat.
It helps to have some wieght up front for faster holeshot ,so if you can find a good deal on a mcx x-star go for it,both engines will do the job just fine up to a ""total load"" incl people etc of aprox..3500lbs.
good luck.

stewvette
11-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the help with making the decision guys. I have found a god deal on a x-star with MCX but I was on the fence about the motor. I think I might get it and buy a prop.