PDA

View Full Version : Want to add a eye for towing on the stern....

03geetee
11-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Guys had a few questions. I want to do this in order to pull some of my little guys behind the boat with rear passengers so they can watch without being decapitated. Rear eye mount seems easy enough to solve the problem.

1. Anything serious as far as mounting goes or is what they send sufficient?

2. I have the interior stripped right now and removing the gas tank isnt a problem if that is needed.

3. Any better brands or designs out there that I should know about?

4. Seems like drill two well marked holes and mount it but any other considerations?

Sorry for the questions but I dont like putting holes in my classic boat without making sure first.

Thank you.

JTR

Sodar
11-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Go with a large backing plate at each hole to distribute the force over a larger area.

thatsmrmastercraft
11-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Been considering the same for my boat. Thinking about using a combination grab handle/tow point from a newer boat for the convenience of getting on the swim platform.

Sodar
11-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Here is a little step by step that MacAttack did on his 2005 197... not the same boat, but might give you some ideas.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=26812

Jim@BAWS
11-17-2010, 10:21 AM
USE a Outboard V Strap and attach to the stern lifting eyes

Problem solved

Jim@BAWS

1redTA
11-17-2010, 11:05 AM

Problem solved

Jim@BAWS

I've done this for pulling a plethora of tubers. After towing people there, I need to put backing plates on the eyelets

03geetee
11-17-2010, 03:16 PM

Problem solved

Jim@BAWS

Thought of that but I didnt know if the platform would interfere with that setup. I also found it to look kinda cheesy on a ski boat with an inboard but oh well if it works right?

JTR

FrankSchwab
11-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Be careful drilling the holes - otherwise you'll end up with spider cracks starting at the hole and growing outwards.

The GelCoat is extraordinarily brittle. As a result, you can't just drill through it - it'll chip and crack. Also, you don't want the bolt to touch the edge of the gelcoat - it'll cause a crack eventually. Assuming that you need to drill a 1/4" hole, I'd recommend:
1. Start with a 3/32" to 1/8" drill bit. Run it in reverse until you're through the gelcoat (it'll burn and melt the gelcoat rather than cutting, leaving a smooth edge), then run it forward and drill through the fiberglass. You'll probably be able to manage the 4 or so holes you'll have to drill, then throw it away.
2. Use a 5/16" or 9/32" drill bit, and run it in reverse until you're through the gelcoat. This will create a nice smooth edge on the gelcoat, and make the hole through the gelcoat bigger than you need.
3. Use a 1/4" drill bit, and drill through the fiberglass.
You should end up with a "stepped" hole - slightly larger through the gelcoat, then slightly smaller for the bolt. Any sideways forces on the bolt will be taken up by the fiberglass, and won't create a stress point (and crack) in the gelcoat.
4. If you're really anal, use a bit of sandpaper around the edge of the hole to make sure you have a smooth edge on the gelcoat.

If you're not precisely sure about hole location, then use a 3/8" drill in reverse to go through the gelcoat, and a 5/16" drill to go through the fiberglass.

I've had really good luck with step drills (http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-91616.html). You just go forward slowly, it creates clean holes in the gelcoat, and it's easy to create that step between the gelcoat and the fiberglass.

/frank

Jim@BAWS
11-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Thought of that but I didnt know if the platform would interfere with that setup. I also found it to look kinda cheesy on a ski boat with an inboard but oh well if it works right?

JTR

If you are pulling a single tubee with 2 kids no big deal. How about a photo or 2 of the stern

You can always add some backing plates

Jim@BAWS