PDA

View Full Version : Ski Lake, Private or Public?

BROUSSARD
11-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Ski Lake, Private or Public?

Why?

H20BOY
11-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Lake Ouachita - I can always find smooth water, beautiful scenery, life long friends.

Double D
11-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Public - Berlin Lake. Ski in Channel, which is part of the river feeding the lake. No private lake because I cant get access to any and most you cant wakeboard on. :(

H20skeefreek
11-17-2010, 01:45 AM
Private. The only way to go with my 'Craft. It breaks down every time I go on public water, so I end up calling it a MasterCrap. It obviously also prefers the pond.

JohnE
11-17-2010, 03:19 AM
I have no problem with the public water available to me. I have more of a problem making time to hit it.

jkski
11-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Both actually. Monday-Friday the boat sits on a private lake that is really only good for slalom course skiing. So, the weekends are barefoot time on the public lake at 6am and then time to people watch when the water gets rough.

Bouyhead
11-17-2010, 09:39 AM
I do both because i have no choice. Over 7 million people are packed on to Long Island. Private ski lake? yeah right. Our tidal salt water flat is pretty sweet but it can get ugly. That's when i schlep 65 miles north of NYC to ski a private site.

Gonzo
11-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Public, worlds best slalom boat .... pullin tubes for the kiddies :(

thatsmrmastercraft
11-17-2010, 09:55 AM
No shortage of good water in this part of the country. :cool:

ccelia
11-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Public, worlds best slalom boat .... pullin tubes for the kiddies :(

Its amazing how many wallys I see with 50k ski and wake boats pulling tubes on the weekends. I am on public water - Occoquan River and Lake Anna; not bad as long as your up by 6 am. We normally get the pleasure of dealing with angry fisherman at that time of morning.

03geetee
11-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Private lake (no renters allowed) but it does have a public launch for fishermen and boats. Get up early and at least 2-3 skiboats are running the channel slalom skiing until the 8am crowd wakes up and starts tubing. Then its jetski time, teach the kids to ski time, tube time whatever. Right after dinner or just before you can hit the lake again to get a quick run in about 730-800pm but the am is better.

JTR

Sodar
11-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Mostly private, up to a few years ago and now mostly public. A meager 250 mile trek to the water sucks!

thatsmrmastercraft
11-17-2010, 10:30 AM
I really feel fortunate to have a great lake for skiing and wakeboarding only 10 miles away. Never have a problem with too many boats or the water getting bad. Only time we have issues is when people ski by to check out the boat. :cool:

I have a small lake 2.76 miles from home but can get busy at times

h2oskifreak
11-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Count me as spoiled. Lake owners and myself, great people (speaking about the lake owners, not myself of course). Always quality water and 12 min. from my house and 5 min. from my office. I got out 48 times this summer!

aaron.
11-17-2010, 12:11 PM
i've never really understood the point of a private lake...there is always calm water for the man willing to shred public water early!

private lakes are kinda like getting a sweet xbox for xmas, and finding out a decade later you are still sitting bitter and lonely on the sofa, in your parents basement, hating life...

maybe when i get older and sick of meeting new people i'll understand.

captain planet
11-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Public - Berlin Lake. Ski in Channel, which is part of the river feeding the lake. No private lake because I cant get access to any and most you cant wakeboard on. :(

Public. Same lake as Double D. Although as long as I have been on that lake, 36+ years, it is basically MY lake and everybody else just uses it. :rolleyes:

Willski
11-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Private lake, and public river. 2 lakes, each with a slalom course in a club we belong too. Then we have the river where we can run about 80 miles between locks. Both have their up and down sides.

onejdgreen
11-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Public lake, there arent many private ones in Iowa anyway. Plus who can I show off my toys and moves to on a private lake? A bunch of old people that will be pissed because my stereo is blasting when I come screaming by at 47 mph at 6:30 in the morning barefooting.... On second thought, that does sound fun.....

rjracin240
11-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Private lake luckily in the back yard, about 3 miles to ramp for the creek that runs out to St.Johns River.

Great people on lake with couple of other MC's, need a pull just sit on the dock and someone will stop by and oblige!

Hammer
11-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Private club lake. Just joined but will hit the public from time to time to get tub runs in for the kids when people want to ski the course.

454Prostar190
11-19-2010, 01:49 AM
Sacramento River north of Knights Landing, CA. Great run up the river for 10 miles or better and there have been weekends that there were only 5 or 6 boats within those 10 miles!

Craig
11-19-2010, 12:00 PM
95% private.

The benefit to private water is control. If you get into competitive skiing it is easy to understand how desirable this is. You can control access, conditions are more repeatable, and water quality (smoothness) is typically much better. In our area it is fairly windy as well and our private pond that we use stays much calmer than the larger public lakes.

We also have a jump on our lake which you could never get on public water.

All of this comes at the cost of socialization. We have to bring our party to the lake with us and there is no doubt a public body of water can be great fun when you just want to relax and goof around.

Most of the time we are going to the lake to train so we go to the private pond. When we want to spend the weekend hanging out, goofing around and not focusing on skiing, head to the public water.

This probably sounds elitist, and it probably is, but I don't mean for it to be. I wish I could do more on public water because I hate thinking that skiing is dying due to lack of exposure.

Double D
11-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Public. Same lake as Double D. Although as long as I have been on that lake, 36+ years, it is basically MY lake and everybody else just uses it. :rolleyes:

CP, I think I can share that dubious position of ownership with you. :D My parents took me boating and camping on Berlin when I was around 6 years old, so that puts me about the same 36+ time frame. Heck, we could have known each other back then. I was the toe head with a orange "around the neck" life preserver scared to death as my dad drove the wood C***craft with the 50 HP Evinrude outboard through 3'+ waves...... :shocked::shocked:

jipster43
11-19-2010, 03:26 PM
I grew up on public water and loved it, but skiing the course on a private competition lake is a world unto its own. Only the most extreme weather stirs things up beyond glass, and there's no lack of good times and socializing. I split my time 50/50 on private and public water this summer and met far more people at the private lake and didn't have to wrestle fishermen for the boat launch or smooth water. This is the choppiest water I skied at River Bend and the wind was absolutely maching when the picture was shot.

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu45/jipster43/DSCN5032.jpg

JP :)

Skipper
11-19-2010, 09:02 PM
15 year old boat, never owned a ski newer than three years old, haven't lived in the same place more that 24 months in the last 14 years... I'll ski anyplace that is wet and will fit a boat.

skierdan
11-19-2010, 10:45 PM
I own a lakefront lot on a big body of public water. kind of a double edged sword really, big open water means my wife is more willing to give me a pull when she is not near other boats. downsaide is nice water is only early morn and late evenings.

we have very few private lakes in my neck of the woods. I dont see the purpose. public beaches mean more 'scenery"

CruisinGA
11-19-2010, 11:03 PM
We also have a jump on our lake which you could never get on public water.

Howabout relatively small public lake not near any big population centers?

We have a jump and a well maintained ski course on Lake Blue Ridge in north GA.

There is also almost always good water to be had unless it is Mem Day, the 4th, or Labor Day weekend, and even then you could foot until 10am and ski another couple hours on certain parts of the lake before it gets too bad, and start back up with 3 hours of daylight left.

h2oskifreak
11-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Not elitist, just tells me you are serious about your skiing and the year and power of your M.C. say even more. I feel the same way, not at the lake to party. I am there to ski and hone my skills. If I want to socialize I will bring who I want and don't have to put up with "somebody else's wally".

onejdgreen
11-22-2010, 09:16 AM
I own a lakefront lot on a big body of public water. kind of a double edged sword really, big open water means my wife is more willing to give me a pull when she is not near other boats. downsaide is nice water is only early morn and late evenings.

we have very few private lakes in my neck of the woods. I dont see the purpose. public beaches mean more 'scenery"

I could just hit "copy and paste" for me...