PDA

View Full Version : X14V Questions

BIGBADBLUE
11-16-2010, 08:45 PM
About to take the plunge and upgrade (if the price is right from dealer) from my '94 PS205 to an 6.0L IlmorX14V. I have a couple questions:.

- I am thinking of opting for the analog gauges with a Zero-off instead of VDig. Good idea?

- What are everyone's thoughts about a heater. Mama wants it but man it just seems like another thing to winterize and break. We live in TN .. only used in spring and fall

- I am thinking of ordering with standard radio and then upgrading to Wetsound for the towers. Is there any resale issues with this?

Thanks everyone!!!

John

vision
11-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Get the heater. Simply put a garden hose disconnect in one of the lines to the heater and it takes 2 minutes at most to winterize.

More importantly, with a heater your wife will more likely be willing to go along and drive or observe which means more time behind the boat for you.

Maristar210
11-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Get the heater. Simply put a garden hose disconnect in one of the lines to the heater and it takes 2 minutes at most to winterize.

More importantly, with a heater your wife will more likely be willing to go along and drive or observe which means more time behind the boat for you.

I agree.

I agree with that as well - I dont like the Vdig. If it chokes, and it does, your f'ed

congrats...!!

2RLAKE
11-16-2010, 09:28 PM
i would never give up my heater ... or heated seats ... love them on a chilly morning or evening

I have one of the original X14 VDIG .. really like it and (knock on wood) have not had a problem

cdstukey
11-16-2010, 09:51 PM
We ended up using our heated seats way more than we use the heater, but its nice to kick them both on for the really chilly mornings.
I don't remember exactly, but I seem to remember some compatibility issue if you wanted to add a speed control other than the stock MC to the analog only gauges. Might want to ask about that one.

H20BOY
11-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Let me quote my wife, "I don't care what else we get on the boat, but it will have a heater." If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy.

east tx skier
11-16-2010, 10:26 PM
I think the analog with vdig is a good option set. I'd go with heated seats over a heater thought. They're great, but they will fail. Just a matter of time before the core rusts out and soaks your feet.

JohnE
11-17-2010, 02:07 AM
I agree that I love both the heated seats and the heater in my X14. Seats more than heater but both none the less.

But I was under the impression that VDig was standard in the X series. I know that I did not have an option in either 08 or 09 to go without the vdig or else I would have.

FWIW I haven't had a problem with it in either boat.

BIGBADBLUE
11-17-2010, 08:01 AM
There is some confusion right now if I can get the analog gauges with Zero Off. Dealer is going to work it out in next couple days and let me know.

Thanks for everyone's input ... I think I will go with the heater.

mccobmd
11-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Does anyone know if the X14V has tracking fins? You can see them on DAB for the X14 and the prostar 214 but not on the X14V. They have the same hulls I figured they would all have them and they were left off the DAB picture of the X14V.

ShawnB
11-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Based on pictures here I'd say yes to tracking fins: http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=820719

Good luck with the new boat!

Thrall
11-17-2010, 10:05 AM
No resale issues with the stereo system, anyone who wants a good system re-works the OEM stuff anyway. If anything it helps resale and if you're a careful shopper you could probably build what you want cheaper than the upcharge from MC for similar setup.

Heater is a must, IMO. If you're mech inclined, I'd install it yourself, or at least know where you want the vents and core. I think the OEM installs could be much better. Appears they get put in the easist way to install without enough regard for vent locations or amount of fiberglass cut. I was able to put a 3 port heater in my X2 with vents in the most preferred places (for me) without putting any holes in the tub. I aspire to have heated seats, winter project, as we use the heater probably 50% of the time.

My preference would be analog guages as well.

That'll be a sweet boat, X14 with a 6.0!!

gts-20
11-17-2010, 11:56 AM
There is some confusion right now if I can get the analog gauges with Zero Off. Dealer is going to work it out in next couple days and let me know.

Thanks for everyone's input ... I think I will go with the heater.

I ran into my local dealer (Houston MasterCarft) demoing a new Canadian blue flake/white 2011 X14V on Lake Conroe last weekend. It was equiped with analog gauges, no VDIG, Zero Off, and the Ilmor 6.0. Very nice rig! It made my '08 PS214 look bad when he tied up with us.

BIGBADBLUE
11-17-2010, 12:09 PM
I ran into my local dealer (Houston MasterCarft) demoing a new Canadian blue flake/white 2011 X14V on Lake Conroe last weekend. It was equiped with analog gauges, no VDIG, Star Gazer, and the Ilmor 6.0. Very nice rig! It made my '08 PS214 look bad when he tied up with us.

I am trying to get the family to go flake, take off the decals and do a retro stars and stripes look ... no takers. My wife's comment was we can do that when the kids get older and we get a 190. At least I have that to look forward to.

mramerman@gmail.com
11-17-2010, 12:30 PM
I bought a new 2010 X14v in July of this year. I have had terrible issues with the Vdig, having had the full unit replaced twice. It would shut off Perfect Pass mid-set, ruining the pull for whoever was behind the boat. I would go analog in a hear beat if I could do it over again. The overly "technified boat" seems to loose some of the great experience of driving by feel.

We did not get heated seats; however, we do have the heating system and love it.

Be sure to post photos of your new boat!

gts-20
11-17-2010, 12:33 PM
I am trying to get the family to go flake, take off the decals and do a retro stars and stripes look ... no takers. My wife's comment was we can do that when the kids get older and we get a 190. At least I have that to look forward to.

The flake looked amazing in the sun. They had ordered it with the X graphics in orange, a white stripe accent, and the ProStar masterCraft logo added to the side. It also had the BTS windshield. I have some pics of it that I'll try to post this evening.

vision
11-17-2010, 01:17 PM
I bought a new 2010 X14v in July of this year. I have had terrible issues with the Vdig, having had the full unit replaced twice. It would shut off Perfect Pass mid-set, ruining the pull for whoever was behind the boat. I would go analog in a hear beat if I could do it over again. The overly "technified boat" seems to loose some of the great experience of driving by feel.

We did not get heated seats; however, we do have the heating system and love it.

Be sure to post photos of your new boat!

You probably did this, but I would replace both batteries. This can solve the VDIG quitting or acting strangely. My 2008 had similar problems for a year, replaced VDIG twice, no improvement. I noticed the POS Optima batteries that came with my X-star would never hold a charge for long. The volt meter said I had 13 to 14 volts when the boat was running and even with the batteries fully charged, the VDIG mis-behaved so I had no reasons to suspect the batteries. But I finally gave up on always having to charge the Optimas traded them in for 2 new Dekas. All VDIG issues immediately resolved and for the past 2 years we have had no problems with our VDIG.

mramerman@gmail.com
11-17-2010, 06:46 PM
You probably did this, but I would replace both batteries. This can solve the VDIG quitting or acting strangely. My 2008 had similar problems for a year, replaced VDIG twice, no improvement. I noticed the POS Optima batteries that came with my X-star would never hold a charge for long. The volt meter said I had 13 to 14 volts when the boat was running and even with the batteries fully charged, the VDIG mis-behaved so I had no reasons to suspect the batteries. But I finally gave up on always having to charge the Optimas traded them in for 2 new Dekas. All VDIG issues immediately resolved and for the past 2 years we have had no problems with our VDIG.

I have not changed the battery...and now that you mention it, I believe my volt meter is reading 13 / 14 even when the boat is running. Unfortunately the boat is fully winterized and tucked away; however, I am going to check this when she comes out of storage for the '11 season. Thanks for the insight!

sully
11-17-2010, 10:10 PM

Canadian blue rocks!!
Heater is a must for us, really easy to winterize, I take both hose ends off the motor and blow air thru until the water stops coming out. We have add no issues with the VDIG. I did have to make some adjustments to the factory perfect pass settings, all good now. We have the heated seats also.

BIGBADBLUE
11-18-2010, 12:43 PM
That flake is cool.

What are everyone's thought on the 6.0l. Dealer says it is a hog on gas and thinks I should stay with 5.7 Imor. Thoughts?

vision
11-18-2010, 01:09 PM
That flake is cool.

What are everyone's thought on the 6.0l. Dealer says it is a hog on gas and thinks I should stay with 5.7 Imor. Thoughts?

Will you mostly board or mostly ski? When you board, how much weight/how big a wake do you want?

I do not have an X14V, but I would expect the MCX with the proper prop should be fine in an X14V unless you are regularly placing 3000 lbs of ballast in your boat. I run an MCX in an X-star and get 5.5 to 6 GPH and no problems unless we get to about 3000lbs or more of ballast, then the MCX gets unhappy.

mramerman@gmail.com
11-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Will you mostly board or mostly ski? When you board, how much weight/how big a wake do you want?

I do not have an X14V, but I would expect the MCX with the proper prop should be fine in an X14V unless you are regularly placing 3000 lbs of ballast in your boat. I run an MCX in an X-star and get 5.5 to 6 GPH and no problems unless we get to about 3000lbs or more of ballast, then the MCX gets unhappy.

My X14v maintains a 6 GPH average over a long weekend of ski, board and surf. I have been happy with it.

Finnsdad
11-18-2010, 06:55 PM
How much more fuel could it really use? Say the mcx gets 5 gph and the 6.0 gets 2 gph. If you use the boat 100 hours per year, thats only $120 (30 gallons @ $4/gal). On a $60000 boat, it is a non issue.

BIGBADBLUE
11-18-2010, 07:09 PM
My X14v maintains a 6 GPH average over a long weekend of ski, board and surf. I have been happy with it.

What engine do you have?

I wonder if there is any fuel burn data on the new Ilmor's yet? Anyone ever see any?

FourFourty
11-18-2010, 07:50 PM
How much more fuel could it really use? Say the mcx gets 5 gph and the 6.0 gets 2 gph. If you use the boat 100 hours per year, thats only $120 (30 gallons @ $4/gal). On a $60000 boat, it is a non issue.

I am confused with your above calculation....

If MCX burns 5gph.... The 6.0 would burn more than that. So lets say 7.5gph. So if you burn 2.5 more gallons per hour with the 6.0 and use the boat 100 hrs per year, thats 250 more gallons of fuel used.

250 gallons @ $4.00 per gallon=$1000.00 per season in added fuel cost. That is a substantial difference, even for a 60k boat. I would hope it wouldnt use that much more fuel, but it doesnt take much to make a BIG difference.

Finnsdad
11-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Oh yeah, that makes more sense, my bad.

JohnE
11-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Unless you plan to do a lot of footing, you would be better served going with the mcx. When I ordered my '08 X14 I asked my dealer if I should go LY6. MYMC from here. His reply was that 'the LY6 is too strong of a pull for slalom. Gives the boat too much of an advantage over the skier'. Since I'm a hack skier, I just took his word for it and saved a few grand in the process. Take it for what it is worth.

JohnE
11-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Wish someone could say for certain whether the X series is available without VDig. It definitely was not in '08. I seriously considered going 214 vs. X14 to avoid the thing. But fortunately I've had no problems with it yet.

cdstukey
11-19-2010, 03:30 AM
Wish someone could say for certain whether the X series is available without VDig. It definitely was not in '08. I seriously considered going 214 vs. X14 to avoid the thing. But fortunately I've had no problems with it yet.

2011 X-14v dash without Vdig

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/cdstukey/x14dash.jpg

I have also seen the same set up in a 2011 X2.

Plave
11-19-2010, 05:08 AM
As far as I remember the new "pro package" includes VDIG, ZFT3 tower and other stuff that I've forgotten so without pro package you won't get VDIG.

JohnE
11-19-2010, 07:57 AM
2011 X-14v dash without Vdig

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/cdstukey/x14dash.jpg

I have also seen the same set up in a 2011 X2.

I guess they now allow it. I never did understand why I 'had' to have vdig with my x14

gts-20
11-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Here is a pic of the '11 x14v Houston MasterCraft had out for a demo. No VDIG, had Zero Off and the Ilmor motor upgrade. Also had a custom Boatmate trailer with landing lights.

captain planet
11-19-2010, 11:02 AM

Dude, hang on to her. Any wife that says she wants a 190 over a v-drive is one in a million. Congrats!

corey
11-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Pretty cool video of pro skiers behind a 197 and an X-14V! http://www.vimeo.com/12515119

BIGBADBLUE
11-19-2010, 03:25 PM
I just confirmed with my dealer that I can get the analog gauges with the zero-off. Cool stuff.

BIGBADBLUE
11-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Man - this is tough when you order a boat. Lots of stuff to decide on ...

- Still struggling with 5.7 vs 6.0. Dealer really pushing 5.7

- Stereo question. Right now I am just getting the stereo with 4 speakers and was going to do everything after market ... wet sounds. What does everyone think of this one? Just scared to give my new boat over to an installer and have them cut holes in it. Would it better to order with a sum and amp and the retro fit it?

My head hurts. It was easier when I bought the 94 205 new. Lots less to decide.

mramerman@gmail.com
11-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Man - this is tough when you order a boat. Lots of stuff to decide on ...

- Still struggling with 5.7 vs 6.0. Dealer really pushing 5.7

- Stereo question. Right now I am just getting the stereo with 4 speakers and was going to do everything after market ... wet sounds. What does everyone think of this one? Just scared to give my new boat over to an installer and have them cut holes in it. Would it better to order with a sum and amp and the retro fit it?

My head hurts. It was easier when I bought the 94 205 new. Lots less to decide.

We went with the full premium system: amps, tower speakers, bass speaker etc. in our X14v. It sounds amazing! We are VERY happy.