PDA

View Full Version : Warranty Expires Soon

JFresh
11-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Hello,

I just bought a used private party 2008 Mastercraft X-45. The warranty expires in march of 2011.

Does anybody know of any companies that sell an extended warranty?

I am planning on transferring the original Mastercraft warranty so I continue to have the 10 year structural defect.

Thank you.

Ole Miss Rebels
11-16-2010, 05:28 PM
FPC Premium Marine Protection 1-800-328-8690 ask for Don. tell him stephen who has had two XStars in mississippi referred you. he is really pleasant and easy to work with.

bcampbe7
11-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Put that money into a money market and only use it for repairs. Odds are better.

http://www.fivecentnickel.com/2009/09/28/create-your-own-extended-warranty-fund/

Cobra Rob
11-16-2010, 06:23 PM
I thought when I looked in the book of the 07 X-45 I bought a few months ago it only had a 1 year warrenty?

I have also paid for quite a few things to get fixed since then.. Last one was an ECU replacement on a motor with only 68 hours :(

Ole Miss Rebels
11-16-2010, 06:27 PM
be sure and get the addendum pac which includes all instrumentation, tower, racks, electronics, guages, etc. it isn't that expensive. one ecu will eat up the cost of that warranty and it is good for 6 years from in-service date.

Cobra Rob
11-16-2010, 06:29 PM
be sure and get the addendum pac which includes all instrumentation, tower, racks, electronics, guages, etc. it isn't that expensive. one ecu will eat up the cost of that warranty and it is good for 6 years from in-service date.

I dealer ECU replacement = $444.54 Just paid that.

More info please.... I did not realize this was an option.. I have already paid about 1500 in various repairs at dealer and it would have been nice to get some warranty work..

Ole Miss Rebels
11-16-2010, 06:35 PM
cobra rob, refer to my post above with the phone number and call don. he is in minnesota i think (one of them yankee states- i get them all mixed up).

JohnE
11-17-2010, 03:18 AM
I don't know the deails, but I keep getting Mastercraft 3+3 offers in the mail... I know it is a 3rd party warranty that is accepted by MC dealers plus many other dealers. Notsure how one applies i to a used bote though.

Ole Miss Rebels
11-17-2010, 06:19 PM
they go back to the original "in-service" date. i suppose you have to be able to prove that or either they have access from MC or Indmar's records. they are gonna need the engine number and the hull ID number and maybe the trailer number. have them ready. know which engine you have because it makes a difference and if you say you have an rtp and you have an L18 they probably will void your contract and not refund your money later. my lawyer told me to never try to trick you insurance company because when you need them for a claim they look really hard at whether you misrepresented something on the application.

ORX-1
11-17-2010, 07:29 PM
I don't know the deails, but I keep getting Mastercraft 3+3 offers in the mail... I know it is a 3rd party warranty that is accepted by MC dealers plus many other dealers. Notsure how one applies i to a used bote though.

I was going to suggest the same thing, I get this in the mail every other month.

TallRedRider
11-17-2010, 09:46 PM
FPC Premium Marine Protection 1-800-328-8690 ask for Don. tell him stephen who has had two XStars in mississippi referred you. he is really pleasant and easy to work with.

FPC is the group that the dealership I bought my boat from gave me a chance to buy extended coverage from.

Seems like I was going to be able to get 3 years of complete coverage for something like $3,000.

My simple mind works like this: Companies that provide this sort of thing like FPC would not be in business if they did not take in more money than they put out in repairs. So, in the aggregate, we pay more than we get back. Just depends in my mind how much a big repair would devastate you financially.

The best argument for it is on resale. I would be more likely to buy a boat with warranty from a private seller.

D3skier
11-18-2010, 12:02 AM
I dealer ECU replacement = $444.54 Just paid that.

More info please.... I did not realize this was an option.. I have already paid about 1500 in various repairs at dealer and it would have been nice to get some warranty work..

feel fortunate it was only 444.54 for that ECU... my last boat I had to replace the ECU and cost me $1200 big ones....

Ole Miss Rebels
11-18-2010, 12:41 PM
when you consider that my 08 xstar had a factory warranty of 1-3 years it was a simple choice for me. one year on instrumentation and electronics and accessories like tower and racks, etc. the 3-3 warranty takes even the one year factory warranteed items out to six years. that's pretty significant to me. also, you can always negotiate ANYTHING including insurance policies.

TallRedRider
11-18-2010, 04:10 PM
also, you can always negotiate ANYTHING including insurance policies.

I probably should have thought of doing that...but I just said no. The numbers I quoted were off the top of my head, a ballpark figure.

Ole Miss Rebels
11-18-2010, 04:37 PM
I probably should have thought of doing that...but I just said no. The numbers I quoted were off the top of my head, a ballpark figure.

my second policy was half the price of my first one and i now have the L18 vs the mcx on my first xstar. call em back and negotiate nicely. seems they would rather make a little than nothing.

MCwake
11-19-2010, 04:49 PM
When looking at warranties, first thing to do is read the Exclusions page. 3rd party warranty companies make all of their profit from NOT paying warranty claims. The Exclusions page will give you a good idea of the common things not covered.

MCwake
11-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Heck, if you're in the market for a 2011 Mastercraft, you get 5 years of factory direct engine warranty from Indmar included in the insurance policy from Boaters Insurance Agency. $2,500 factory warranty thrown into the insurance policy. Sweet deal.

Ole Miss Rebels
11-19-2010, 04:58 PM
When looking at warranties, first thing to do is read the Exclusions page. 3rd party warranty companies make all of their profit from NOT paying warranty claims. The Exclusions page will give you a good idea of the common things not covered.

Very true, MCwake. my policy excludes two very broad categories. 1) any heat related damage and 2) andy water in the engine related damage UNLESS the heat or water was the result of the faliure of a covered part. even with that patial exclusion i thought it was a good deal because i negotiated a great price. it's all about price vs risk. my price made the risk that i would never use it acceptable. negotiate a good deal if you can.