PDA

View Full Version : Star Gazer Upgrade for 07 X2

bturner2
11-16-2010, 07:39 AM
I think I've convinced the wife to buy us a Star Gazer upgrade for our 07 X2 this Christmas. Calibrating the PP for slalom has been a real pain as I switch props a couple times a summer depending on where we're boating and I don't want to deal with it anymore. I'm under the impression this will no longer need to be done with the Star Gazer.

Dose anyone have a picture of where the GPS antennae is mounted from the factory? I like to keep the boat as stock looking as possible when doing upgrades. Thanks.

ttu
11-16-2010, 11:01 AM
i installed stargazer on my 07 x2. had way to many problems with perfect pass. i just used double sided tape for the puck and installed it just in front of the windshield. it is a great upgrade.

Kyle
11-16-2010, 11:22 AM
If you stick the puck on the outside part if the dash, you probably will chafe the wires that are pinched in-between the dash piece and the top cap of the boat. In the instructions it gives you several ideas where to install the puck. It also says that you can install it under the dash piece behind the guage panel. This is where mine is located and I do not get interference with it mounted there. Yes my wires got pinched and chafed, but I could repair the wires and relocate the puck. I believe that way of mounting is in the instructions so don't choose that one. Use the 2sided tape and stick it behind the tach where all of the wires are in the panel.

east tx skier
11-16-2010, 02:35 PM
If changing props significantly changes your baselines, you will have to adjust them in the system. But it's not like what you're used to doing. If it's only a matter of 50 rpm or so, you're likely not going to notice the difference as the system adjust things on the fly in the course.

jwroblew
11-16-2010, 03:50 PM
I mounted mine in front of the windshield, stock location, loosen the bow seat back and drop the wires behind the seat, they'll end up just in front of the kick panel by your module. Before I switched to Zero Off, I still used classic mode because my first and second segment times were always off with Star Gazer, fast 1st slow 2nd or vs versa, at least with classic they were always the same amount off. If you can afford a little more I would upgrade to Zero Off, get it through your MC dealer not the Zero Off web site it will be cheaper.

Why are you switching props based on location?

macattack
11-16-2010, 03:50 PM
If you stick the puck on the outside part if the dash, you probably will chafe the wires that are pinched in-between the dash piece and the top cap of the boat. In the instructions it gives you several ideas where to install the puck. It also says that you can install it under the dash piece behind the guage panel. This is where mine is located and I do not get interference with it mounted there. Yes my wires got pinched and chafed, but I could repair the wires and relocate the puck. I believe that way of mounting is in the instructions so don't choose that one. Use the 2sided tape and stick it behind the tach where all of the wires are in the panel.

I installed mine in front of the dash and filed a slot in the dash where the pluck wire came through from underneath; the wire "floats" free...mac

Sodar
11-16-2010, 04:00 PM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_m3bPnaMHpYM/S6A4UyrmKvI/AAAAAAAADvo/1eJ4RFpF-7Q/s800/DSC03241.JPG

bturner2
11-17-2010, 07:34 AM
I mounted mine in front of the windshield, stock location, loosen the bow seat back and drop the wires behind the seat, they'll end up just in front of the kick panel by your module. Before I switched to Zero Off, I still used classic mode because my first and second segment times were always off with Star Gazer, fast 1st slow 2nd or vs versa, at least with classic they were always the same amount off. If you can afford a little more I would upgrade to Zero Off, get it through your MC dealer not the Zero Off web site it will be cheaper.

Why are you switching props based on location?

I run a 14" prop primarily for surfing and wakeboarding and really like the prop on the small lake we're on. When at home we'll use my brother in law's Malibu Response for slalom so there's no real down side to the 14" prop when at home.

When go out to my in laws place on Lake Erie or to West Twin lake in Northern Michigan for a couple weeks vacation in the summer. The 13" prop seems to do much better when called into service for slalom and we find it much better for cruising on a larger body of water where we'll make runs across the bay that are 15 - 20 miles each direction. It doesn't seem like it should matter that much but the extra 5 MPH on the top end and higher cruise speed do make a difference on a larger lake. Especially if a storm is coming in on Lake Erie.

bturner2
11-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the pictures. I'm ordering the upgrade today from Skier to Skier. I was quoted $459 shipped which seems to be the best price I could find. Anyone see the upgrade cheaper?

Sodar
11-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the pictures. I'm ordering the upgrade today from Skier to Skier. I was quoted $459 shipped which seems to be the best price I could find. Anyone see the upgrade cheaper?

That is a good deal. Back when Rodltg was selling Wakecrafts, he had an inside line and I think I picked up the upgrade through him for $325.

Make sure to ask if it has the reworked power lead. My original MasterModule was giving me problems with my stereo pulling a little too much juice and starving the PerfectPass. PerfectPass reworked it, so it was no longer an issue. Skier to Skier can probably get you an unit direct from Perfect Pass that has this rework already done, or you can send it to PerfectPass and they can do it for you after the fact.

Kyle
11-17-2010, 11:43 AM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_m3bPnaMHpYM/S6A4UyrmKvI/AAAAAAAADvo/1eJ4RFpF-7Q/s800/DSC03241.JPG

This is how mine got chafed. If you file like mentioned above then tou should be fine. Mine is under the black plastic dash piece. They will work the same either way.

bturner2
11-18-2010, 07:28 AM
I'd like to go as non intrusive as possible for starters then work my way up from there. Sounds like the first pass on the installation will be with the antenna under the dash. If I have any trouble I'll quickly move to the next location. Thanks for all the input. I'm looking forward to this upgrade.

Next will be another look into surf tabs. Still haven't seen a complete write up on an installation for a pre "big" boat. Still have all winter to see if that I'll be another project I'll want to tackle.

CantRepeat
01-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Has anyone moved over from MC cruise to a PP/Star Gazer?

I've got a plug in the back that is labeled ECM and Throttle (don't recall the labeling on all the wires).

http://www.mikesell.net/images/connector.jpg

Sorry for the hijack.