PDA

View Full Version : exhaust tips for noise reduction

chippy1971
11-15-2010, 04:58 AM
Hey guys,

Malibu have exhaust tips that you can put on boat to make it quitter.

Has anyone put these on their boat and has it made a big difference in making it quitter.

Prostar19
11-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Mc used those for a couple of years a few years ago. TO my understanding they were not as quiet as the in line mufflers

aaron.
11-15-2010, 09:48 AM
noise reduction?? blasphemy!

Ole Miss Rebels
11-15-2010, 11:57 AM
i just upgraded my muffler system for the second time. i have an 2008 xstar with the L18. originally, it came with straight pipes with tips with internals (cheese grater looking things inside the tips). omg was it loud and high pitched. so i retrofitted it to the 2008 1/2 year model silent master option that wasn't available when i had my boat built. that included changing out the tips to ones with no internals (straight through) and adding the two "in-line" mufflers. this helped somewhat but it was still loud. the high pitch was knocked down from an alto to a tenor pitch. still loud though, way loud in the boat and behind the boat, but "better". now, within the past two weeks i changed the straight-through in-line mufflers to the two horizontally mounted mufflers. same straight tips. this increased the back-pressure a little but it did knock down the decibels a couple of points and reduced the pitch again from a tenor to a barritone pitch. so, after two retro-fits using MC supplied instruction and parts i now have a boat that is significantly quieter than it was when it was new. still, it is significantly loud but i guess the L18 pushes a lot of air and water. unless i wanted to run the risk of creating too much back-pressure i am going to leave well-enough alone and be thankful that i can now hear the stereo and a fellow pasenger as long as they are willing to scream to be heard.