PDA

View Full Version : Warranty between countries??

Viktimize
11-15-2010, 01:05 AM
If I purchase a new MC in the USA, and bring it to Canada, will my warranty still be good here?? I know this was a big problem when importing some cars, as the manufacturer would not honor the warranty. But I would think with MC there shouldn't be a problem, since all boats are built in the same factory wether they're sold in the US or Canada.

sand2snow22
11-15-2010, 01:10 AM
IIRC, that's against MC territory rules. Unless it's an older new MC, say 2009 or 2008 then it's free game. Not sure......

Viktimize
11-15-2010, 02:08 AM
IIRC, that's against MC territory rules. Unless it's an older new MC, say 2009 or 2008 then it's free game. Not sure......

So it is fine as long as it is a used boat with a few hours on it??

Muttley
11-15-2010, 02:01 PM
That's the price of saving money.

A dealer in Canada has to deal with brokerage, export fees, PST, GST, exchange (sometimes), extra transportation, duty, etc., that has to be built into the price of the boat. They feel you are taking the bread out of their mouths so their only leverage to get you to buy up here is the warranty.

G-Star
11-15-2010, 04:05 PM
That's the price of saving money.

A dealer in Canada has to deal with brokerage, export fees, PST, GST, exchange (sometimes), extra transportation, duty, etc., that has to be built into the price of the boat. They feel you are taking the bread out of their mouths so their only leverage to get you to buy up here is the warranty.

There is no duty on boats built in the USA because of NAFTA.
The customer pays the GST + PST (or HST) on the boat, not the dealer.
Extra freight cost is understandable, but this is realistically only a few hundred bucks.
Most of the Canadian dealerships I've talked to recently sell boats in US dollars, so there is no currency exchange risk to the dealership.
Brokerage is pretty much negligible.

Bottom line - they're just trying to make excuses for screwing us on the price of new boats, as well as cars and trucks.

The threat of zero warranty on your new boat is about all they've got to hang on to, and they wield it like a weapon.

Jim@BAWS
11-15-2010, 05:17 PM
If I purchase a new MC in the USA, and bring it to Canada, will my warranty still be good here?? I know this was a big problem when importing some cars, as the manufacturer would not honor the warranty. But I would think with MC there shouldn't be a problem, since all boats are built in the same factory wether they're sold in the US or Canada.

NEW BOAT UN REGISTRAED (sp) FULL WARRANTY Covered anywhere!!
USED BOAT $450 warranty transfer fee for balance left on drive train.

Jim@BAWS

Jim@BAWS
11-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Bottom line - they're just trying to make excuses for screwing us on the price of new boats, as well as cars and trucks.

Who is screwin ya???

G-Star
11-15-2010, 07:09 PM
NEW BOAT UN REGISTRAED (sp) FULL WARRANTY Covered anywhere!!
USED BOAT $450 warranty transfer fee for balance left on drive train.

Jim@BAWS

Then I guess they're just using that threat as a scare tactic. I'm sure warranty claims wouldn't be a lot of fun to deal with if they ever came up, though.

Now that I think about it, it was the Malibu dealer specifically saying the warranty wasn't valid cross-border.

G-Star
11-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Who is screwin ya???

Who isn't? Have you seen the difference in price for the exact same car/truck up here?

JohnE
11-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Then I guess they're just using that threat as a scare tactic. I'm sure warranty claims wouldn't be a lot of fun to deal with if they ever came up, though.

Now that I think about it, it was the Malibu dealer specifically saying the warranty wasn't valid cross-border.

Every MC dealer must service a boat brought in to them under warranty in a timely manner per their dealer agreement. There would be repurcussions if they actually refused and mc were made aware.

With that said, it is usually not worth buying a boat out of territory. There are some exceptions. I bought 2 out of territory but had a history with my dealer. But naturally you will not get the red carpet treatment when you bring it in for service.

I don't doubt that a dealer might use the warranty as a scare tactic.

Viktimize
11-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Who is screwin ya???

The dealers who want an extra 20k for a boat, when they pay the same price as a dealer in the US. I would have no problem paying the extra $1000 transportation costs that they might incur to have the boat shipped to Canada. But I see no reason why they should make an extra 20k profit on a boat.

Viktimize
11-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Every MC dealer must service a boat brought in to them under warranty in a timely manner per their dealer agreement. There would be repurcussions if they actually refused and mc were made aware.

With that said, it is usually not worth buying a boat out of territory. There are some exceptions. I bought 2 out of territory but had a history with my dealer. But naturally you will not get the red carpet treatment when you bring it in for service.

I don't doubt that a dealer might use the warranty as a scare tactic.

In my case though, I live in Alberta, and would most likely buy the boat here if I purchase in Canada. But the boat will spend it's entire life in British Columbia, so naturally that is where I would have it serviced. So either way, I would be dealing with an out of territory dealer.

Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like I might chance the purchase in the states.

JohnE
11-16-2010, 01:03 AM
In my case though, I live in Alberta, and would most likely buy the boat here if I purchase in Canada. But the boat will spend it's entire life in British Columbia, so naturally that is where I would have it serviced. So either way, I would be dealing with an out of territory dealer.

Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like I might chance the purchase in the states.

You are not purchasing 'out of territory' by mc definition if you purchase near your home and choose to have it serviced near your lake.

I can't believe that there is a $20K difference, but I have heard of that in the past in the heyday from the now defunct CA dealer.

Good luck with your shopping.

G-Star
11-16-2010, 02:17 AM

Where abouts in BC will the boat live?

Viktimize
11-16-2010, 03:51 AM
Where abouts in BC will the boat live?

Sicamous............... Don't suppose you got a line on a dealer out that way that will give me a great deal on a new X-25??

hbomb
11-16-2010, 06:52 AM
Australia is of interest as it is currently being flooded with imports due to near parity on the US and Aust dollar.......

lets leave the name of the "surfboard" out of it but this type is flooding Australia at the moment so much so that the local factory has put in writing on their web site that it will not warrant ANY imported boats (should not be an issue as the bulk appear to be old schoolers so warranty long gone) but the other interesting aspect is that local dealers are refusing to sell spare parts to any owner of an imported boat. Appears they are asking serial numbers of the hull in question to ascertain whether an import or not.............these are the same dealers who are servicing them but will not sell spare parts!!
interesting to say the least if you can work that and I guess it will only be amtter of time before some smart legal eagle gets a hold of this activity and maybe lodges a restrictive trade action....
last time I checked we have a free trade agreement between the countries.........

reading the Mastercraft warranty, it does not say anything about their warranty not being worldwide.........if I am not wrong

Muttley
11-16-2010, 01:20 PM

The threat of zero warranty on your new boat is about all they've got to hang on to, and they wield it like a weapon.

Hey, I didn't say it was right. I totally agree with you. No doubt we are getting ripped off.

When I brought my used 15 yo boat up from WA, it was $650 export fee, PST, GST, 5% (at the time) exchange. It added about $1800 to the price of the boat, but I still saved about $3,000.

xbot50000
11-16-2010, 01:38 PM
I bought a used MC in the US a couple of months ago. Pretty easy process and saves a lot of $$$. You just need a little bit of time and a truck. As far as warranties go, I wouldn't sweat it too much. A 1 or 2 year warranty goes pretty quickly when the season in 4 - 5 months long.

G-Star
11-17-2010, 03:35 AM
Sicamous............... Don't suppose you got a line on a dealer out that way that will give me a great deal on a new X-25??

I'm afraid not. The local dealer for me is Rayburn's (Kelowna), but I've never heard of them being mentioned in the same sentence as "great deal" before.

medicmoose
11-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Who isn't? Have you seen the difference in price for the exact same car/truck up here?

Times are a changin'! I just bought my new Dodge Ram for cheaper than what I could have by going to the U.S. I think our dealers had to finally acknowledge that they've been bending us over for years so they have introduced "rebates" to try to get the business to stay local.

wheelerd
11-20-2010, 03:42 AM
Bought both my former and my current MC used in the US. Saved $$$ and there was no hassle importing. (Well, except for the border agent who insisted I should have a title even when the boat/trailer came from a non-title state.) We made a family holiday trip out of it each time.