PDA

View Full Version : Additional tower speakers

chippy1971
11-14-2010, 03:42 AM
Hi,

on my x15 I have 2 tower speakers with lights. I want to add 2 additional speakers to the tower but I want to know if I am going to need an additional amp or will they run on the same amp as the current ones.

The reason for the upgrade is the kids are saying that they cannot hear the music when they are wake boarding or skiing. so I figure more speakers more noise.

Suggestions are welcome.

medicmoose
11-14-2010, 05:46 AM
I guess it kind of depends on what you have already and what you plan on running. You will get all kinds of opinions here on what speakers to go with etc, etc. The one constant comment will be, "don't rob your speakers of power".

I went with Westsounds Pro 80's and MB 8's for the tower and I run a Hertz amp just for those speakers. The sound is amazing and definitely easily heard by the person being towed.

Remember to match your equipment...if you get speakers that require/can handle lots of power...make sure you have an amplifier that can deliver. There is no sense in buying great speakers and "cheaping out" on the power source...you will not be happy with the sound quality!

My 2 cents.

Thrall
11-14-2010, 11:35 AM
If it's the orig amp, it's probably only big enough to push one speaker! Not sure why MC comes with quality speakers and half the amplifier wattage to push them?? Oh well, an amp is easy to add. As far as adding speakers, getting 2 more matching ones is the obvious answer. They're too expensive to buy new, but can be had used.

TallRedRider
11-14-2010, 03:50 PM
It is easy to make suggestions, but need to know your budget. Sound costs money.

Many guys only want to have MC authentic stuff on their boats...so another pair of tower speakers is going to run some big dollars if you buy them new ($1800, IIUC). Used ones can often be had on Ebay or even here in the market if you keep your eyes open.

If I were to do it in baby steps, I would first get proper power to the 2 speakers you have, with an amp that can be adequate for 4 speakers, and adequate for 4 high end tower speakers like Wetsounds. You will find your 2 speakers are capable of more than MC has given them...might be able to hear music when riding, but it will only sound like noise unless you know the song. Then once you realize that sucks, you will upgrade without having to get another amp.

chippy1971
11-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Ok my fault I should have told you what is in the boat. The head unit is Clarion, and the speakers are all JL audio as well as the amps.

If anyone a 4 speaker tower system that they got from the factor can you please talk a photo of the amps driving the system.

My boat is a x15 2009. So the same as the currant systems going around.

rgardjr1
11-14-2010, 08:50 PM
If anyone a 4 speaker tower system that they got from the factor can you please talk a photo of the amps driving the system.

About the only knock against the 4 JL Audio tower speakers is that they come under powered with the amp that Mastercraft includes with the factory install. There is at least one thread around where Dave from Earmark Marine gives some ideas about what amps will improve this short coming.

I think this was the thread or at least it will give you some reading material:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=34447

TallRedRider
11-14-2010, 10:47 PM
I would first get proper power to the 2 speakers you have,

...they come under powered with the amp that Mastercraft includes with the factory install.

X2 on what they said.

Thrall
11-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Here's what I installed, not what came with the boat.
JL M6600 amp driving the cockpit spkrs, 75W/ch to the 2 front spkrs, bridged 4 ch to 2 ch for 150W/ch to the 2 rear speakers.
4-JL tower speakers running in series of 2 off of a 450Wx2 channel Boston amp.
Sub, 12" Boston run off a JL e1800dm class D amp.

Good rule of thumb for the JL 7.7" speakers is to give them 150W rms per channel to see their potential.

aaron.
11-15-2010, 09:45 AM
I went with Westsounds Pro 80's and MB 8's for the tower and I run a Hertz amp just for those speakers. The sound is amazing and definitely easily heard by the person being towed.

My 2 cents.

Wetsounds are badass (expensive but worth the money!)! good choice dude! I've never been that impressed with the factory audio from mastercraft.

TXMC-06X2
11-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Wetsounds are badass (expensive but worth the money!)! good choice dude! I've never been that impressed with the factory audio from mastercraft.

Yes, I agree. Wetsounds are the only way to go.

EarmarkMarine
11-15-2010, 06:49 PM
There are a few issues with the JL Audio speakers and the factory pods.
First, the JL 7.7s are a great sound quality speaker at close range. However, they require twice the power that factory gives them which will also be the case if you elect to convert to HLCDs. Even when you correctly power the JL 7.7s and double them up they are not going to project over distance like an HLCD will. Its like taking a refined home hi fi speaker and using it at an outdoor concert. Its going to be great in the front row but it won't cut it at 80 feet.
So if powerful and articulate sound is the main objective at 80 feet then you really should convert to an HLCD.
The easiest conversion is with a pair of Bullet HollowPoint 770 HLCDs as they will fit the factory pod, give you tons more output and distance plus you will maintain the tight hang height that you presently have. A second pair can be added with another set of factory pods which shouldn't be too much of a challenge to obtain these days.
If you are using the factory pods containing the halogen lamps then these particular pods are not sealed around the lamps which is going to be a major issue with any speaker in this pod. We have aluminum kits that will seal the pods and still allow access for servicing the halogen lamps. This is not an problem with the non-lamp pods as they are sealed.
Another option is to replace the factory pods with complete pod/HLCD speaker packages from Exile (6.5-inch), Bullet HollowPoint (7.7-inch) or WetSounds (8-inch). Each of these companies has a MasterCraft direct fit product that mounts to the factory tower pads without collars and without exposed wiring.

David
Earmark Marine

Thrall
11-16-2010, 09:51 AM
That sums it up! David, you're always spot on.

JulioX2
11-16-2010, 10:00 AM
There are a few issues with the JL Audio speakers and the factory pods.
First, the JL 7.7s are a great sound quality speaker at close range. However, they require twice the power that factory gives them which will also be the case if you elect to convert to HLCDs. Even when you correctly power the JL 7.7s and double them up they are not going to project over distance like an HLCD will. Its like taking a refined home hi fi speaker and using it at an outdoor concert. Its going to be great in the front row but it won't cut it at 80 feet.
So if powerful and articulate sound is the main objective at 80 feet then you really should convert to an HLCD.
The easiest conversion is with a pair of Bullet HollowPoint 770 HLCDs as they will fit the factory pod, give you tons more output and distance plus you will maintain the tight hang height that you presently have. A second pair can be added with another set of factory pods which shouldn't be too much of a challenge to obtain these days.
If you are using the factory pods containing the halogen lamps then these particular pods are not sealed around the lamps which is going to be a major issue with any speaker in this pod. We have aluminum kits that will seal the pods and still allow access for servicing the halogen lamps. This is not an problem with the non-lamp pods as they are sealed.
Another option is to replace the factory pods with complete pod/HLCD speaker packages from Exile (6.5-inch), Bullet HollowPoint (7.7-inch) or WetSounds (8-inch). Each of these companies has a MasterCraft direct fit product that mounts to the factory tower pads without collars and without exposed wiring.

David
Earmark Marine

David

Do you have a website for the speakers you are talking about?

Thanks

EarmarkMarine
11-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Julio,
www.earmarkmarine.com
David