PDA

View Full Version : I need HELP!!! What is the dealer responsible for....

msf23
11-11-2010, 09:47 PM
End of last season I ask my dealer to investigate why the auto bildge was running so much. Basically got to the point where the pump failed...
The report was that the prop shaft must not have been totally threaded from the factory thus not allowing the nut at the top to properly tighten. This in theory resulted in the shaft being able to move (along its axis) and this then ate up the seal (or bushing) in the hull and led to the leaking....(someone please let me know if this is a legit story)

Flash forward to mid summer and the darn auto bildge is again kicking on every 30 minutes or so that we are out boarding...

At this point I thought it was the rudder bushing because when the boat was on the lift I could shake (cause it was loose or had play) and water would come from the inside of the hull and leak down the rudder.... (not to mention the dealer had fixed what it considered the leak before).
Back to the dealer 1 week before the Labor Day Holiday to have this repaired....($400 + for the bushing to be changed). I was told this is a wear item (how often should I expect to replace this?)
Picked it up before the Holiday weekend and what do you know it still leaked...

Dropped it at the dealer 3 weeks ago to be winterized and have the leak investigated...

Had to call the dealer 3 times today to be able to talk to the right person (2 times the "forgot" to call me back).

I was told the boat was winterized and the shaft seal had "melted" to the point where they had to "repolish" the prop shaft because the rubber had fused to it...
This I am then told is $400 + and I have to pay for it....Is this how every MasterCraft dealer works? The dealer never even called me to tell me what the problem was before doing $400 of work to my boat without even seaking my approval????
Not to mention where it their accountabililty for the work they did when the shaft was fixed at the end of last season....This boat is at a vacation home and maybe gets 30 hours a season...

Anyone have comments....please.....Thanks in Advance!
Mike

Maristar210
11-11-2010, 09:51 PM
MSF23 -

That is not right. I have never heard of such things before. Where are you? Which dealer? What year and model of boat do you have?

msf23
11-11-2010, 09:59 PM
I live in Cincinnati but the boat lives at Norris Lake in TN....I have been dealing with American Boat Center in Knoxville....

The boat is a 2007 X-30 with maybe 130 hours....

This is killing me...any ideas on if the stories they have been giving me the whole time are even legit?

Thanks for the response

The8Ball
11-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Never had much luck with Mastercraft dealers... (I have an older boat, 98 ProStar 205).

I was shopping around to have the strut bushings replaced (upgrade to the new plastic ones)...

Mastercraft dealer: We cannot replace the bushings, but can replace the ENTIRE STRUT (which will come with new bushings). Their reason: can't guarantee proper alignment if you re-use the old strut.

They would have to re-pack the stuffing box, new strut, and align. $700+.

That seemed like a horse load to me.

Ordered the new bushings from skidim.com, $60/pair. Bought a feeler gauge set from Sears for like $8 (to get alignment to within .002"). Did it myself. Could not believe how easy it was. You don't need a new strut! I knew better.

Bottom line... I actually try to avoid the Mastercraft dealers. Better off either doing it yourself... OR finding a good, solid boat mechanic that you can trust, that won't rip you off.

DISCLAIMER: I'm sure there are good Mastercraft dealers/service out there. Haven't really found one yet though...

msf23
11-11-2010, 10:20 PM
I would also be interested in any good references for a MC mechanic in the Knoxville area.
Thanks in advance!

The8Ball
11-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Forget what they say.

Get out on the water, and visually inspect everything in the bilge that could leak:

Shaft seal/stuffing box
Mufflers
Raw water pickup
Rudder
Speed-o
Raw water pump
Hoses, clamps

Basically... any hole through the hull... and engine hoses. Take up the floor panels, open the engine box.

...regarding their story... about the shaft seal... if you don't have a PSS, I would get it - if that really is the problem. If you feel like you are getting the run-around... go somewhere else!

...just my .02.

msf23
11-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Cool.....Problem is they replaced the shaft seal without even asking and now want $400...it is like blackmail.

I did do a fair bit of investigation on my own but didnt go to the extent you mentioned...next time I will.

End of the day though I dont always have time and is it totally crazy to expect to be able to pay someone to fix things and for them to be honest?

Thanks for listing the potential areas to check!

The8Ball
11-11-2010, 10:32 PM
...forgot to mention...

Put your hand down into the bilge water. If its 'warm' - then you probably have a leak somewhere coming from the engine (e.g. exhaust, mufflers). If it's 'cool' - it's probably coming through from a hull penetration (or the seal on your raw water pump, shaft, rudder, etc.). At least, that is what I have read on here!

Good luck!

Alan
11-11-2010, 11:10 PM
You can check with BBB in TN, it might be the dealer needs a signed work order before proceeding with the work. In many situations, repair facilities (auto, boat, etc.) have you sign such a work order when you drop the boat off for repair.

If you didn't sign anything, you've got a great argument they didn't have the right to do the work and therefore not are responsible for paying the work they completed. May boil down to how much you want to fight it out.

msf23
11-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Good call on the temp of the water in the bilge...will check that in the future.

Bummer is that the thing is now winterized and I wont be able to check until next season.

Still interested to know if anyone has experience the same problems....if what I have described is even something that could/would happen....and best place around Knoxville to get a MC worked on besides a dealer (perhaps an individual with lower overhead).

Thanks again!

bturner2
11-12-2010, 06:48 AM
The shaft bearing shouldn't be worn in a 130 hours unless something is out of line. I've never replaced a shaft bearing on any of my boats and have had close to 600 hours on two of them. On an 07 I would expect to see a PSS, at least my X2 came standard with it. If this is true then there is no stuffing box to re-pack.

Something sounds fishy here. I be looking for another dealer if what you're saying is true or at least talking to the owner to express your concerns. Most dealers are businessmen and as such have a vested interest in keeping their customers happy. Go to the top and have a non heated discussion regarding your concerns. I'd be surprised if things didn't get better quickly.

JimN
11-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Good call on the temp of the water in the bilge...will check that in the future.

Bummer is that the thing is now winterized and I wont be able to check until next season.

Still interested to know if anyone has experience the same problems....if what I have described is even something that could/would happen....and best place around Knoxville to get a MC worked on besides a dealer (perhaps an individual with lower overhead).

Thanks again!

I wouldn't accept the repair as having been "completed" without being able to take the boat out. They should offer a service warranty and if you can't take it out now, the warranty would expire before Spring, which means they aren't giving any assurance that their repair was done correctly.

The original strut bushings on that boat are bronze and plastic and can definitely be replaced without alignment problems unless the person doing it is pounding them into position. There's a special tool for removing and replacing them and this should be used.

I would call the dealership owner if the service manager can't/won't handle this without reaming you.

jasonba1
11-12-2010, 07:28 AM
Im really shocked to hear that Ryan and Steve at American Boat Center have always been great to me their service has been great. I would call and talke to Steve if that doesnt work call and talk to Ryan. Sorry for your problems that stinks but they are a great dealer and Im sure they will make it right with you if there is anything I can do to help please let me know

msf23
11-12-2010, 09:17 AM
The shaft bearing shouldn't be worn in a 130 hours unless something is out of line. I've never replaced a shaft bearing on any of my boats and have had close to 600 hours on two of them. On an 07 I would expect to see a PSS, at least my X2 came standard with it. If this is true then there is no stuffing box to re-pack.

Something sounds fishy here. I be looking for another dealer if what you're saying is true or at least talking to the owner to express your concerns. Most dealers are businessmen and as such have a vested interest in keeping their customers happy. Go to the top and have a non heated discussion regarding your concerns. I'd be surprised if things didn't get better quickly.

When you say the shaft bearing is it part of the seal where the shaft goes through the hull?
If that is the case the yes this was bad around 130 or so hours....cant remember exactly how many are on the boat...not many though.
The reason I was told this happened was due to the fact the prop shaft was never tightened enought due to the fact the shaft was not threaded properly when it was manufactured....this is what I was told...

At the end of the day i understand the boat is not under warranty anymore but the shaft was replaced around 1 year ago and the boat didnt get many hours this summer.....so why wont the dealer stand behind its work....
Am I supposed to then pay for this every year in hopes they do it right at some point...maybe to some people $400 + isnt that much but it is the principal of the matter!

Final issue is I have been dealing with the owner....and since this boat had pleanty of warranty work done he feels like he has done me enough favors....not that in my opinion him going to bat for me when it comes to warranty work is a favor..this is his job!

msf23
11-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Im really shocked to hear that Ryan and Steve at American Boat Center have always been great to me their service has been great. I would call and talke to Steve if that doesnt work call and talk to Ryan. Sorry for your problems that stinks but they are a great dealer and Im sure they will make it right with you if there is anything I can do to help please let me know

So I have pretty much been dealing with Steve.....who is Ryan and what is his title? I thought Steve was the owner...

In general they have been good....I just didnt expect to pay for this when it feels like something wasnt done right the first time and that is why this happened again so quickly...
I would assume Steve at all people would want to stand behind his work and could identify that when a part fails quickly there must be something else not right...

Also, per my past experience with him, I would get a call with some sort of diagnosis and options (with cost) to fix. He just did the work.....not that I wouldnt of had it done....but I would for sure have had discussions with him about why the work his dealer did on the same part hasnt lasted a year....maybe if he was going to act like he is now I would have taken it to a different place.....why should I believe it is going to last over a year again if his place fixed it the same way they did last time.

willyt
11-12-2010, 10:08 AM
MSF,
I live in cincinnati too, I know your boat is down in norris but the guys at cincy mc are legit, they completed a huge repair on my 05 X2 this year. I'd give them a call. I'm actually friends with their mech brent, he won't steer you wrong.
Talk to Bill or Jason

msf23
11-12-2010, 10:30 AM
MSF,
I live in cincinnati too, I know your boat is down in norris but the guys at cincy mc are legit, they completed a huge repair on my 05 X2 this year. I'd give them a call. I'm actually friends with their mech brent, he won't steer you wrong.
Talk to Bill or Jason

WillyT....

Thanks for the heads up....I will give those guys a call...I heard the Cincinnati MC shop had changed from Hern Marine.....good to know to took care of you and are stand up guys...

If you dont mind me asking what type of huge repair work did they do?

Thanks,
Mike

BNIROOSTER
11-12-2010, 11:16 AM
So I have pretty much been dealing with Steve.....who is Ryan and what is his title? I thought Steve was the owner...

In general they have been good....I just didnt expect to pay for this when it feels like something wasnt done right the first time and that is why this happened again so quickly...
I would assume Steve at all people would want to stand behind his work and could identify that when a part fails quickly there must be something else not right...

Also, per my past experience with him, I would get a call with some sort of diagnosis and options (with cost) to fix. He just did the work.....not that I wouldnt of had it done....but I would for sure have had discussions with him about why the work his dealer did on the same part hasnt lasted a year....maybe if he was going to act like he is now I would have taken it to a different place.....why should I believe it is going to last over a year again if his place fixed it the same way they did last time.

I feel your pain! I have had similar interactions with ABC, for some reason their attitude is that if you can afford to buy a Mastercraft, then you should be able to fix it at whatever the cost. I wouldn't go as far as saying you got swindled, if they say the work needed done then it most likely did. I will not be using them again unless I absolutely have to. Travis Marine is the previous Mastercraft dealer and from the interactions that I have had with them they seem to be very respectable. Shadrack Watersports is a Supra dealer and I have done alot of business with them in the past and they are really good to work with.... hope it helps.

msf23
11-12-2010, 01:17 PM
BNIROOSTER,

Thanks for the info and the heads up on the other shops to work with.
I have heard of Travis Marine and will check them out.

You comment about ABC's attitude is spot on...they need to stand behind the work they already did....i shouldnt have to pay for something they didnt do right...

Thanks for the info again.
Mike

NatesGr8
11-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Tell them you didn't authorize the repair and that you're not going to pay for it. Also tell them they fixed it last time so you shouldn't have to pay for their mistake.

TallRedRider
11-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Tell them you didn't authorize the repair and that you're not going to pay for it. Also tell them they fixed it last time so you shouldn't have to pay for their mistake.

X2. I do not think it is unreasonable to expect this to last more than 1 year.

msf23
11-12-2010, 02:34 PM
X2. I do not think it is unreasonable to expect this to last more than 1 year.

I agree....I did tell them I didnt authorize it and I am not paying for it....

The dealerships response is that I cant have my boat back till I pay for it...

Should I take some chain cutters and go get it or if I engage MC home office can I get help?

NatesGr8
11-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Yes you should, or call the BBB they've helped me out with issues like this. Car related...

msf23
11-12-2010, 03:31 PM
This is why I bought a MasterCraft....

About 30 minutes ago I contacted Bill Gattis (MasterCraft Customer Relations) and shared my story...

10-15 minutes after I talked with him he called me back to say they would take care of the repair.

THANKS BILL!

I ancourage anyone who has problems with a boat under warranty or with a dealer to get a hold of him....great guy.

Also THANKS to everyone on the forum who read my plea.... I realize I am the noobie to the forum but that didnt stop people from wanting to help....that awsome!

Eagle Lake Rebel
11-12-2010, 07:32 PM
I have an '07 X-30 with 130-140 hrs and the bilge pump NEVER turns on. At the end of the day I might have a large cup full of water that drains out. You may have a hose leak or leaking muffler (if you have any- I don't) that's dumping that kind of water in the boat. Parts that have been replaced on your boat should be "worn out" when you crack 500-600 hr range. Glad to hear MC stepped up to the plate..... they always have for me in the past. There are lots of good MC dealers out there and a few that give them all a black eye so don't paint them all with the same brush. I've got a great x- MC dealer 200 mi away that's always provided excellent service the other dealer 100mi from me I couldn't recommend.