PDA

View Full Version : 2007 X2 Tandem Trailer - Brakes

hbomb
11-10-2010, 08:34 PM
perhaps this will be the "stupid' question of the day......

have just purchased a 2007 X2 MCX sitting on a Mastercraft Tandem Trailer - 7 wire blade connector
the trailer has surge brakes and I understand the principal of how they work but the "question".....

once the plug is disconnected from the car, do the brakes on the trailer "lock" if not that is OK but if they do lock, how do you unlock them.....
I do understand the safety cables and break away cable for brake operation
the boat is going to Australia and to comply with our road laws, the lights have to be changed on the trailer etc etc as does the plug to an australian fitting

Thrall
11-10-2010, 08:44 PM
No the brakes do not lock when unplugged from the vehicle.
They only lock or apply brake pressure when the acutator is compressed. The brakes do however have an electronic lockout feature that automatically locks out the brakes when your tow rig is in reverse. This is so they don't lock up backing the trailer up a hill. For this to work, the trailer needs to see a 12V signal from the vehicle on the correct pin when it's in reverse.

hbomb
11-10-2010, 08:52 PM
thanks for that Thrall.....
next dumbo question..... if no power is there something you can do manually to override when reversing?

Eagle
11-10-2010, 09:26 PM
The trailer tongue can slide backwards. When it does, such as when you're backing up, it actuates the brakes. You can put a plug in the tongue (or tape a nickle, etc) so that it doesn't slide backwards and thus keeps the brakes free. I found it very frustrating to back the trailer, even with the right electrical plug, because this was happening until I learned about locking out the tongue from sliding back.

G-Star
11-10-2010, 09:27 PM
There's always the option of a fancy mechanical lockout... :D

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x203/DocHoliday1964/1999%20Maristar/DSC01062.jpg

kevkan
11-10-2010, 09:39 PM
My '08 single axle X-1 trailer has a hole you can but a 1/4" bolt thru to lock off the brakes. I'm going to have to look at my trailer to see if the nickel trick would work as well.

My electric brake turner offer has been sporatic. I've got power to the plug on the back of my rig, but the back-up lights on trailer don't always come on, nor do the brakes disengage. FYI: You can't back my trailer with the brakes engaged, unless it is down hill, like a boat ramp.

hbomb
11-10-2010, 09:39 PM
well done thanks fellas.......appreciate that
fangled inventions!!
out towing hitches have a "flip over" lever which stops the hitch from pushing back when reversing....
my main concern was that brakes where not locked on
when we pick it up from the wharf when it is cleared by customs we need to tow it home and not being able to use the plug, was worried about the brakes
again thanks
lastly.
would like to post a pic of the boat here - advice?

hbomb
11-10-2010, 09:40 PM
actually...... with kevkan's post....starting to recall owner said something about pushing pin in when reversing??mmmm have to wait till she arrives

hbomb
11-10-2010, 10:12 PM
here it is

2007 MCX - only Mastercraft option it does not have is the binding blaster - photos do not do it justice - it is a true credit to the guy we got it off - it is immaculate

hbomb
11-10-2010, 10:13 PM
and to the astute ones, since the photo was taken, the tower braces have been fitted

G-Star
11-10-2010, 10:17 PM
NICE BOAT!! Congrats.

here it is

2007 MCX - only Mastercraft option it does not have is the binding blaster - photos do not do it justice - it is a true credit to the guy we got it off - it is immaculate

hbomb
11-10-2010, 10:29 PM
yeah GStar, we are absolutely stocked - son did most of the hard work in sourcing the X2 - gee they are a hard boat to get a hold of....... our market here is being 'flooded" with the "other" brand of boat and Mastercrafts being a high end boat in Australia, there are not many around, well not many X2's.
Owner got it in July 2007 and has absolutely babyed the thing - reg service, "shoes" of when you get in it would you believe........ 160 hours and kept in a heated garage

as i said, the only option it does not have is the binding blaster

we sighted the thing back in around late July when we first started talking and the greatest hurdle was thw owner trusting us being from Australia in that we where going to be honest and upfront and it has worked out
it arrives in Australia 18 November and all being good with customs we should ahave it around the 20th......

trailer mods are changing real lights to Aust standard (we have yellow indicators not red and separate tail/brake lights), new plug and if all goes well, width wise, max our trailer scan be is 2500mm - this one just makes it I think......if not, a minor change to the fibreglass guards and it is done.... hence change of plug and my concern about the brakes etc
yep - cant wait to get her on the water - our summer coming up...
at first when my son suggested an X2 - I told him the thing looked like Batmans Boat - ugly....... but it really has now grown on me and they are one fine looking boat!

g-mantrix
11-11-2010, 04:26 AM
hey Hbomb, def a sweet X2, where in Aus you located? The trailer is very similar to the X2 in Perth, that I will see next Wednesday, but its all been compliant, ie brakes and all, so I just need to re register in Vic...cant wait

hbomb
11-11-2010, 04:54 AM
thanks mate........
we are in moama............. so will see you on the river over xmas
do agree - saw your photo - trailer is exactly the same
what did they do to your trailer for compliance?