PDA

View Full Version : Surf Tab Retro Fit 09 X2

09X2
11-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Hi,
Wondering if any one on here has Retro fitted Surf ( trim ) tabs to there MC's, and if so any sugestions on the process.

Ive got a set ready to go on to my 09 X2 when I get a spare moment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

CantRepeat
11-10-2010, 08:18 AM
I believe at this point, I've only seen a retro to the center tab. At least on this site anyway.

09X2
11-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Yeah have searched a bit but no joy.

ttu
11-10-2010, 10:05 AM
prostar19 said he added them to his old 06 x2. go thru this thread and you will see a pic. i tried to get more info from him:rolleyes:

great looking wake

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38042

CantRepeat
11-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I've been all over that thread for a while now. He never post any more info, which tabs, wiring, switches.

He's got what we are looking for but didn't post it.

Prostar19
11-10-2010, 10:47 AM
sorry I must have forgotten to post..... I used the Lenco kit that was for a MasterCraft X80. I got it as a kit it had all the wiring, two 12 x 14 tabs and a switch. It is trial and error on mounting the tabs as you need them as close to the bottom of the boat as possible without them touching the water when you have them all the way up. I think MC has since stopped selling the kits because they are concerned about the tabs not being speed limited as they are with their electronic dash. Send me a PM and I will give you any info I can on how I mounted them

09X2
11-11-2010, 02:58 AM
I just bought the lenco kit from mc dealer, $1300 all up. So they must be selling them still.
Main concern was how close to mount them to bottom of boat and wether or not to re-enforce with a backing plate.

bturner2
11-11-2010, 09:31 AM
I'd like to see pictures of the installation if you have them. Still considering them for my 05 X2 but I'll most likely have to do them on the sly as the dealer said MC will not sell a kit for the older boats due to the speed issue.

09X2
11-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Intresting, can still buy em here in oz.
Def want to see some retro fits

Thrall
11-11-2010, 10:36 AM
I'd like to see pictures of the installation if you have them. Still considering them for my 05 X2 but I'll most likely have to do them on the sly as the dealer said MC will not sell a kit for the older boats due to the speed issue.

What's the speed issue? I don't see a surf tab flipping the boat if it's dropped down a speed. Have a couple buddies with outboard trim tabs on their boat and when one gets out of whack with the other at speed, it barely changes the attitude of the boat.

Prostar19
11-11-2010, 12:13 PM
What's the speed issue? I don't see a surf tab flipping the boat if it's dropped down a speed. Have a couple buddies with outboard trim tabs on their boat and when one gets out of whack with the other at speed, it barely changes the attitude of the boat.

I think the main issue is a lot of people in inboard/vdrives do not know how to use a trim tab as well as I/O boaters. I think MC is worried someone will deploy one tab at full speed and cause a issue...just a guess...

Prostar19
11-11-2010, 12:16 PM
I did not use a backing plate as the tab is pushing against the hull not trying to pull away from it. I predrilled the holes, applied 4200 sealer, ten screwed them in. The distance from the bottom of the hull will vary on each model. I put mine as close as I could get without it being in the water while in the up position. You cany vary that by where you mount the acuator as well. I do not have that boat anymore but can post the few pictures I have of it if needed again.

CantRepeat
11-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Hey Prostar19,

Do you have a photo of the switches installed in the boat?

Prostar19
11-11-2010, 02:57 PM
no but i will see if i can get one

CantRepeat
11-11-2010, 03:56 PM
no but i will see if i can get one

Thank you.

bturner2
11-11-2010, 06:12 PM

My dealer told me that they (MC) had to pretty much make it brainless so that anyone could drive the boat without doing something stupid. Hence the speed saftey on the tabs with BIG installed. Apparently when the boat is fully loaded with ballast and people and one tab down at full speed the boat can get out of shape pretty bad. As with most things today the fear is a law suit from some moron driving 45 mph at night with full ballast and one tab down somehow flipping the boat then suing MC for an unsafe product. It wouldn't be the first time someone sued and won for being stupid.

Prostar19
11-11-2010, 10:18 PM
My dealer told me that they (MC) had to pretty much make it brainless so that anyone could drive the boat without doing something stupid. Hence the speed saftey on the tabs with BIG installed. Apparently when the boat is fully loaded with ballast and people and one tab down at full speed the boat can get out of shape pretty bad. As with most things today the fear is a law suit from some moron driving 45 mph at night with full ballast and one tab down somehow flipping the boat then suing MC for an unsafe product. It wouldn't be the first time someone sued and won for being stupid.

I must say YOU NAILED IT!!!!!!:D

Thrall
11-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah, it seems sensless.
By the looks of that X2 wave, the tabs look like they make up for alot of extra weight.

Prostar19
11-12-2010, 04:48 PM
They really do not make the wake bigger, they just help shape and move it. I was using factory ballast and on extra 300 pound bag on that surf side then a 100 pound bag under the bow filler.

CantRepeat
11-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Well more reading done and it seems the 2010s came with the 12in wide 14in long standard Lenco tabs.

http://media.channelblade.com/boat_graphics/dealers/22646/digi40066384_l.jpg

And looking at the accuators they seem to be the 101 XDNS and not the 101 NS type.

Here is a photo of all the accuators.

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/images2//d_727.jpg

It doesn't look like Lenco offers a kit that has the XDS accuators on a 14x12 tab.

09X2
12-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Rigged up the Tabs on my O9, Running the following set up_

STB Tab deployed 100%( Set them to the second position on the tab so they deploy deep )
All other Tabs Up.
Port Hard Tank and fly high full.
Stb Fly high bag full but relocated to the port seat ( tied down )
KGB and Front Fly High Full.
6 peeps in the boat scattered around.

Nice surf wake, deep pocket. post pics this weekend.

09X2
12-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Well more reading done and it seems the 2010s came with the 12in wide 14in long standard Lenco tabs.

http://media.channelblade.com/boat_graphics/dealers/22646/digi40066384_l.jpg

And looking at the accuators they seem to be the 101 XDNS and not the 101 NS type.

Here is a photo of all the accuators.

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/images2//d_727.jpg

It doesn't look like Lenco offers a kit that has the XDS accuators on a 14x12 tab.

Where have the Laser cut MC logos gone from the exhaust flaps ? gone for 2010 ? and no centre tab, thought they would be stock on all 2010 boats

CantRepeat
12-10-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm not sure where I got that photo or which model it is.