PDA

View Full Version : How much should I be paying to get my X15 winterized?

BigWilson
11-09-2010, 05:59 PM
I was quoted $675 for oil change, drain, flush wi/anti-freeze, ballast tanks flushed too. What should I be paying??? I almost had a heart attack when the dealer told me this!

CruisinGA
11-09-2010, 06:04 PM
That is absurd. Did they mention fogging the engine?

I can't help on the price point. I do my X9 myself for about $30 and a few hours.

coz
11-09-2010, 06:35 PM
I almost had a heart attack when the dealer told me this!

That's not a dealer.....that's a robber.

TX.X-30 fan
11-09-2010, 06:55 PM
:popcorn:......

Miss Rita
11-09-2010, 07:27 PM
I spent $12 for five quarts of Rotella, $5 for a filter, and two hours to winterize mine.

TallRedRider
11-09-2010, 07:29 PM
I will jump in. I am usually the first to call them stealerships, but I will say this much:

I think that there is a lot more to it. They are supposed (SUPPOSED) to do the yearly maintenance, IIUC. Things that most of us never do, but are supposed to, like check the engine alignment, grease the starter, etc.

If all that they are doing is what you quoted above, then yes, that is robbery. If they do all that other minutae listed in the owner's manual, then that is only a little more than par for most dealers.

Maristar210
11-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Does that include any detailing and or storage???

Normal winterizing and oil change should be about 300-350

east tx skier
11-09-2010, 08:48 PM
With antifreeze, transmission fluid, Valvoline VR-1, and an oil filter, I spent $50 this year.

Yellow X9
11-09-2010, 09:15 PM
That is absurd. Did they mention fogging the engine?

I can't help on the price point. I do my X9 myself for about $30 and a few hours.

I'll 2nd that, I do my own winterizing aswell on my X9-45 bucks, but hey, thats what the dealerships are there for-folks that don't know how.$$$$$

Yellow X9
11-09-2010, 09:18 PM
I was quoted $675 for oil change, drain, flush wi/anti-freeze, ballast tanks flushed too. What should I be paying??? I almost had a heart attack when the dealer told me this!

Do u atleast get a reach around after you hand them your wallet......
Bring it over, i'll do it for 1/3 the price and a 12pk

TX.X-30 fan
11-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Do u atleast get a reach around after you hand them your wallet......
Bring it over, i'll do it for 1/3 the price and a 12pk

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This thread just veered into HB territory.................;)

BigWilson
11-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Well, I guess I should try to do myself! I don't think it was much more than what I described above. Highway robbery!

ORX-1
11-10-2010, 11:00 AM
I think the original question is being missed.... He wants to know how much he should expect to pay to get it done, not how much it cost to DIY. I really wish I knew how to do it myself but I don't and there are a lot of people that don't either so he's just asking how much he should expect to pay.

I think you are looking at around $300-350. Sometimes they take it all apart and then you have to go back in the spring to "de-winterize", I have them put it back together on the spot to save that second trip. There are places here in Portland that do it for $99, but thats just to drain the block and fog it, no oil change or anything else.

Thrall
11-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Well, I guess I should try to do myself! I don't think it was much more than what I described above. Highway robbery!

Yeah, at $675 for what you described, it's robbery!
Just read up on the winterization threads, it's not very difficult to do. No need to use antifreeze in anything but the heater and ballasts. You can antifreeze the engine if you're too lazy to open up 10 or so hoses and plugs to drain everything completely that's associated with the drivetrain. You won't even spend $100 in materials unless you change the trans filter and fuel filter too.
When you winterize it, add greasing the rudder and steering cable and changing out the oil in the gear box. 2gal of 15W40 (engine and gearbox), oil filter, grease and a few gallons of RV antifreeze is about all you need.
Hook everything back up after you drain and you'll be ready to go in the spring.

broncotw
11-10-2010, 12:46 PM
I spent $125.00 at my local MasterCraft dealership for winterization.... I though the price was very fair....

Lars
11-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Was there shrinkwrapping included? Usually that's 9-10 dollars a foot.

gocougs
11-10-2010, 01:17 PM
I had my x-15 winterized by the dealer and they charged $116 for all but the oil change because I just had that done after my 20 hour break-in service. I think you should check around. Someday I will start doing it on my own but like the idea of a service tech doing it right now.

bobx1
11-10-2010, 01:33 PM
....They are supposed (SUPPOSED).....

That is what scared me into doing most of my own stuff. My last dealer (not my present one) charged me close to $180 to winterize (drain the water, stabilize fuel, and fog ONLY). So I go back to let them do the de-winterization and wanted to watch them change the impellor - guess what? A lot of water came out when they pulled the hoses. Then when he cranked it up, nothing smoked - like it had not been fogged (my Jet Skis and another boat likes to belt a little smoke on the first crank in the spring - due to fogging oil).

Per the initial question. Rates around here are:

$160-$200 - drain, stabilize, fog

$425 - $500 - same as above but change oil, impellor, and CHECK trans fluids - bring it back and they will put all the plugs and hoses back together and crank it for you.

$580 - $600 - same as above but also wrap

Some go up to $750 but they do all the above and store it outdoors in their boat yard. Most of the guys that do this do not have a space at home as they keep it on a lift during the summer.

bturner2
11-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Our rates are pretty much the same as BOBX1 describes. If they do the job right, any way you look at it it's going to take a couple hours. Add in the trans fluid change, impeller and actually fogging the cylinders by removing the plugs and your easily at $350 to $400.

The problem I find when talking to service departments is that they sometimes don't detail exactly what they're doing and just roll the entire process into a general statement. As has been commented above it's good to ask questions to ensure you're getting what you pay for. My dealer up here is very good at communicating their services and even sends out a menu that is priced with both bundled services and individual service items. That way you can do what you're comfortable with and have them do the items your not.