PDA

View Full Version : Where is TMC No.1's teak how to?

uncleboo
11-08-2010, 06:43 PM
It used to be on the FAQ's, but I don't see it anymore. It used to be located here: http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/show...7&postcount=28. Now you get this message from East TX Skier: "This post has been removed because hit has been deemed outdated." I have no idea what that means. Does anyone have a link to the how to? I wanted to send it to a buddy of mine. Thanks!

rgardjr1
11-08-2010, 06:54 PM
This should be what you're looking for.

JohnE
11-08-2010, 10:41 PM
I've used that method for a while now. Makes the teak look great but slippery as hell despite what the tutorial says. I have a friend from charlotte who almost ended up back in the hospital due to the process.

I'm letting it wear off and can't wait to go with another method.

uncleboo
11-08-2010, 11:21 PM
This should be what you're looking for.

Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for.

uncleboo
11-08-2010, 11:24 PM
I've used that method for a while now. Makes the teak look great but slippery as hell despite what the tutorial says. I have a friend from charlotte who almost ended up back in the hospital due to the process.

I'm letting it wear off and can't wait to go with another method.

I have done this method several times over the years. I just needed the file to give to another boater. I haven't experienced that problem. You could probably just go with a coarser grit sandpaper to reduce the slippage.

SkiDog
11-09-2010, 08:33 AM
It used to be on the FAQ's, but I don't see it anymore. It used to be located here: http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/show...7&postcount=28. Now you get this message from East TX Skier: "This post has been removed because hit has been deemed outdated." I have no idea what that means. Does anyone have a link to the how to? I wanted to send it to a buddy of mine. Thanks!

Hiding under the bus with Harold:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

Jim@BAWS
11-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Hiding under the bus with Harold:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

Is that the regular length school bus or that special shorter one???

SkiDog
11-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Is that the regular length school bus or that special shorter one???

Not quite sure. its the one that rolled over him.

TX.X-30 fan
11-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Classy.................62841

east tx skier
11-09-2010, 04:28 PM

The FAQ isn't mine. I originally set it up, host some of the articles on our club's website and I manage the links to make it more user friendly, but not much more.

The message you quoted was not meant to refer to the the old teak article. It didn't dawn on me that people were bookmarking this stuff. So that there is no confusion, it has since been replaced with a blank message. The old teak article was removed at one time or another and replaced with something else. The material that replaced it was later deemed out of date and removed.

That teak article is from an old edition of the now OOP "Star Magazine." If MC wants to host the article on its site, I'm sure it will. But the FAQ was no longer deemed a suitable place to host it. So it was removed. (let's just leave it at that).

JohnE
11-10-2010, 12:19 AM
I have done this method several times over the years. I just needed the file to give to another boater. I haven't experienced that problem. You could probably just go with a coarser grit sandpaper to reduce the slippage.

Umm, or I could just never allow anyone on the platform. I've ski'd behind that boat but had to use my own platform.

TXMC-06X2
11-19-2010, 06:43 PM
This may be a stupid question, but I am starting my teak restoration and on Harold Page's "How To", he says in the first step to keep the teak wet while sanding. Is this optional, or should it be wet sanded? The other steps do not tell you to keep the teak wet while sanding. Any opinions? Also, where is a good place to get Star Brite?

Thanks,

Jim

etduc
11-19-2010, 06:55 PM
This may be a stupid question, but I am starting my teak restoration and on Harold Page's "How To", he says in the first step to keep the teak wet while sanding. Is this optional, or should it be wet sanded? The other steps do not tell you to keep the teak wet while sanding. Any opinions? Also, where is a good place to get Star Brite?
Thanks,
Jim

Wet, always wet. Academy has it. Google it.

Hammer
11-19-2010, 07:15 PM
This is really all you need. No sanding required. I did the tmc meathod and have had several slips back there. I actually use my platform for what it was intended.

Here for Star Brite (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=21227)

Adam Wanichek
11-19-2010, 08:58 PM
+1 for easy maintenance, its a swim platform, not a piano

1 scotchbright pad, scuff up the platform
1 quart of Dalys Seafin teak oil
http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/18807--seafin-teak-oil-quart.html
1 old t-shirt/rag

apply once a year, maybe twice if really anal.....done, easy as that:)

TX.X-30 fan
11-19-2010, 11:21 PM
This is really all you need. No sanding required. I did the tmc meathod and have had several slips back there. I actually use my platform for what it was intended.

Here for Star Brite (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=21227)

+1 for easy maintenance, its a swim platform, not a piano

1 scotchbright pad, scuff up the platform
1 quart of Dalys Seafin teak oil
http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/18807--seafin-teak-oil-quart.html
1 old t-shirt/rag

apply once a year, maybe twice if really anal.....done, easy as that:)

Holy cow how right are these gentleman................

Not a piano........... LMAO

Gonzo
11-19-2010, 11:31 PM
No.1's boat is/was a show boat that got used from time to time... not a daily driver. I did a modified No1 method. Power washed the teak sanded it while wet, soaked it with teak oil, let it dry. took a finer grain sandpaper and re sanded, and soaked again. I don't use the ultra fine grain sandpaper 1 cause I am lazy and 2 so there is less slippage. I have used starbrite and seafin... seafin last year, gotta say starbrite is better but then I got like a gallon of seafin for a dollar so I will use it till it runs out.

east tx skier
11-20-2010, 10:53 AM
I have always used a modified approach as well. Never went too fine. Amazon teak oil works well, too. I use my platform as well and do this in the dead of winter when I'm bored. It looks nice enough. But function needs to remain intact.

mccobmd
11-20-2010, 12:18 PM
I have always used a modified approach as well. Never went too fine. Amazon teak oil works well, too. I use my platform as well and do this in the dead of winter when I'm bored. It looks nice enough. But function needs to remain intact.

Yeah, I'm a pragmitist as well, I got through 3 sandings and coats and got cold and bored. My teak shines and doesn't slip. I have the platform to use to get in and out of the water, not to admire and eat off of.

Jim@BAWS
11-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Not quite sure. its the one that rolled over him.

Classy.................62841

Well...it must be the shorter one, cause you did not get the JOKE!!:rolleyes:;):confused:

east tx skier
11-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I'm a pragmitist as well, I got through 3 sandings and coats and got cold and bored. My teak shines and doesn't slip. I have the platform to use to get in and out of the water, not to admire and eat off of.

About 3 or four sandings every 3 or four years is what I do. Typically, I give it a light sand in the spring and apply one layer. This lasts the season and looks good. The full strip down and reboot is not an annual event for me.

TX.X-30 fan
11-20-2010, 03:13 PM
I heard brake fluid makes the teak look good.

Gonzo
11-20-2010, 08:58 PM

Brown Kiwi Shoe polish and some spray clear coat!

TX.X-30 fan
11-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Brown Kiwi Shoe polish and some spray clear coat!

TXMC-06X2
11-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the responses. We use our swim platform alot also, so I will probably go with a modified approach as well.

supturb89
11-24-2010, 03:45 PM

I was told by my gelcoat guy who worked for Crownline boats since its inception that a 50/50 of diesel fuel and transmission fluid works great. I myself went with the Watco teak oil and have been satisfied with the looks....haven't tested the function yet.

JohnE
11-25-2010, 03:14 AM
I was told by The Great One that if you never use the platform then it will never wear out. I can not confirm that for certain though. Gimme 21 years and I'll report back.

JLeuck64
11-25-2010, 12:48 PM

Ya ya ya!
And transmission fluid will make your trailer tires look brand new!