PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Clarion Units

CantRepeat
11-08-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm looking at putting a newer Clarion (so I can keep the wire remotes that are already installed) and was wondering about the iPod USB connection.

On my 2006 it has the round accessory plug in the glove box and I'm wondering if the newer boats that have the USB connector, is it routed into the glove box as well.

Is this the unit that comes from the factory in 2010s?

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2010/marine/source_units/CMD6/us-en-product-pf_1259392721025.html

Sodar
11-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Depending on what Stereo you have, you can install an iPod interface. It connects into the Cnet port and has a brain that converts the USB signal. It works well and can save you a lot versus replacing the whole stereo system.

I am selling my whole Clarion system (remotes, interface and cables)...

http://www.mastercraft.com/market/showproduct.php?product=3815&cat=500

CantRepeat
11-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Depending on what Stereo you have, you can install an iPod interface. It connects into the Cnet port and has a brain that converts the USB signal. It works well and can save you a lot versus replacing the whole stereo system.

I am selling my whole Clarion system (remotes, interface and cables)...

http://www.mastercraft.com/market/showproduct.php?product=3815&cat=500

Then I have to ask, what route will you be going with your new gear?

Sodar
11-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Then I have to ask, what route will you be going with your new gear?

I have really not decided.

I have not been able to mess with a CMD6, yet. I like the Alpine interface the best, but am not sure if the remotes and headunit will fit the existing holes.

Time will tell, if/when I sell my existing setup.

CantRepeat
11-08-2010, 12:27 PM
I have really not decided.

I have not been able to mess with a CMD6, yet. I like the Alpine interface the best, but am not sure if the remotes and headunit will fit the existing holes.

Time will tell, if/when I sell my existing setup.

I've always like Alpines stuff, but the wireless RF remotes aren't my favorites but they do work.

Sodar
11-08-2010, 12:33 PM
I've always like Alpines stuff, but the wireless RF remotes aren't my favorites but they do work.

Yeah, the CDA-118M is on the short list.

CantRepeat
11-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Yeah, the CDA-118M is on the short list.

If you end up going that route, I have an MC10 remote install on here. It has measurements and what not. I loved the radio and the RFs work pretty well.

rgardjr1
11-08-2010, 01:11 PM
I like the Alpine interface the best, but am not sure if the remotes and headunit will fit the existing holes.

I looked at the Alpine remote and it was much larger when compared to the wired Clarion remotes. The Alpine remote would not fit where my transom remote is currently located. I think the Alpine remote would work in the drivers location, but after looking at my transom I didn't really take a serious look at the drivers remote. Alpine does have a multi-zone marine head unit that would work great for adjusting cabin vs tower volumes-I bit the bullet and bought a Wet Sounds EQ to handle this. I'll probably just upgrade to a new Clarion eventually to save the hassle of having a bunch of dead remotes in the boat.

CantRepeat
11-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I looked at the Alpine remote and it was much larger when compared to the wired Clarion remotes. The Alpine remote would not fit where my transom remote is currently located. I think the Alpine remote would work in the drivers location, but after looking at my transom I didn't really take a serious look at the drivers remote. Alpine does have a multi-zone marine head unit that would work great for adjusting cabin vs tower volumes-I bit the bullet and bought a Wet Sounds EQ to handle this. I'll probably just upgrade to a new Clarion eventually to save the hassle of having a bunch of dead remotes in the boat.

Did you lose functionality of your wired remotes when going to a wetsound 420(?).

My plan is to get a new head unit and a wetsound 420.

I may, after seeing the added speakers in someone's X45 go with another set of speakers and then just add an amp for the tower. If that's the case I'm also thinking about some new tower speakers.

But, really I only want better tower speakers for those times when people pull up to the sandbar / anchor out and just blast some crappy club beat that no one else wants to hear. :mad:

bturner2
11-08-2010, 01:45 PM
I have the CMD6 and used it all last summer, absolutely loved it. Don't carry any more CDs or DVDs. Use memory keys, iPODs or my phone. The iPOD interface is much better than the last version but still not perfect.

I upgraded from a CMD4 that came standard with my 07 X2. I had to replace the remote and the cable. I also purchased the USB cable and mounted it in the glove box in the same location as the new boats. It's been bullet proof so far and I would recommend to anyone looking to replace their stock system. Be aware that the remote is larger than the old style that was in my 03 X2 but it also does far more and easier to read. They do offer the smaller remote but it does not have a display on it.

rgardjr1
11-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Did you lose functionality of your wired remotes when going to a wetsound 420(?).

No the wired remotes still worked great-I've got 3. The WS 420 makes it much easier to manage the tower volume once I hung the two WS 485s. Those things can get obnoxious in a hurry and being able to adjust them on the fly from the drivers seat with the 420 is great.

CantRepeat
11-08-2010, 03:24 PM
I can see this snowballing on pertty quickly, much like anything I try to keep simple.

CantRepeat
11-08-2010, 04:58 PM
I can see this snowballing on pertty quickly, much like anything I try to keep simple.

And, if I have to change remotes to move to a newer Clarion then I'm sure I'll just move over to Alpine and get the remote in the back filled in so I can put Alpine remotes in the boat. The good news about the front remote is I'm pretty good with metal so I can just make my own adapter for that area.

If that is the case I guess my build looks something like this.

Alpine CDA-118M
Alpine MC-20
Alpine MC-1
Wetsound 420
Wetsound X(something tower speackers 485s, maybe)
Another set of AL speakers for seating area
Alpine PDX-4.100M for the tower speakers

Snowball stereo system go! :D

rgardjr1
11-08-2010, 05:25 PM
And, if I have to change remotes to move to a newer Clarion then I'm sure I'll just move over to Alpine and get the remote in the back filled in so I can put Alpine remotes in the boat.

Depending on the remotes some of the older Clarion remotes will work with the newer head units like the CMD6. You'll need an adapter cable, but they will work.

http://clarion.com/ca/en/products/2010/marine/remotes/CCUMRA1/ca-en-product-pf_1259404168827.html

TX.X-30 fan
11-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Alpine is so much better stuff than the clarion crapola.

pq2
11-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Im getting a clarion CMS1 for the boat, no need of remotes. Will let you know how it works.

CantRepeat
01-10-2011, 08:00 AM
And, if I have to change remotes to move to a newer Clarion then I'm sure I'll just move over to Alpine and get the remote in the back filled in so I can put Alpine remotes in the boat. The good news about the front remote is I'm pretty good with metal so I can just make my own adapter for that area.

If that is the case I guess my build looks something like this.

Alpine CDA-118M
Alpine MC-20
Alpine MC-1
Wetsound 420
Wetsound X(something tower speakers 485s, maybe)
Another set of AL speakers for seating area
Alpine PDX-4.100M for the tower speakers

Snowball stereo system go! :D

I forgot about this thread, should have used it instead of creating a new one.

So far I pick up:

Alpine CDA-118M - installed, had to make a stainless steel backing plate because they over cut the hole at the factory for the Clarion. The 118m has dual zone volume control so it filled the need for the Wetsound 420 saving me $300 bucks!

Alpine MC20 - I had to cut the hole for the transom remote a little hire up and glass in the lower part of the old hole. The Clarion remote was egg shaped and the Alpine was round so the hole had to be moved up so the Alpine remote would not hang over the body line. Looks great.

Alpine MC2 - This is the same as the 20 just doesn't come with the RF receiver. It has the same hole size as the old Clarion but once again the Clarion is egg shaped and the Alpine is round. I'm making an egg shaped 3/8 thick piece of aluminum that I'll ether pain black of have powder coated to fill in under the remote.

Alpine PDX-4.100M - I'm moving the tower speakers onto this amp. Still tossing around the idea of adding 2 more cabin speakers in the rear area. If I do this I might have to move my battery switch.

I'm probably going to run some new power wire and add a capacitor and maybe a relay.

bturner2
01-10-2011, 08:19 AM
So where's the pictures?

CantRepeat
01-10-2011, 08:32 AM
So where's the pictures?

I know this will sound weak to someone in MI, but it snowed last night so no photos just yet! I'll get some in the next day or so.

CantRepeat
01-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Oh, I also pick up a nice little waterproof remote. The Alpine RUE-M1EX. It works wit the MC20 RF receiver up to 30 feet. I D ring it to my vest and be able to change tunes, volume and what not while surfing!

gatorguy
01-10-2011, 06:14 PM
. I D ring it to my vest and be able to change tunes, volume and what not while surfing!

Now there's a guy who can't live without his music. Me on the otherhand, I'm just glad the boat has a radio that works, and I get a decent signal on the lake. I don't even turn it on half the time.

CantRepeat
01-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Now there's a guy who can't live without his music. Me on the otherhand, I'm just glad the boat has a radio that works, and I get a decent signal on the lake. I don't even turn it on half the time.

You need an iPod with your tunes on it. Then you wont need a signal and you'll want to listen. :D

gatorguy
01-10-2011, 07:57 PM
You need an iPod with your tunes on it. Then you wont need a signal and you'll want to listen. :D

Problem is I don't even listen enough to know who anyone is to even buy the music. I listen to XM radio, and it does me fine. My kids and wife remind me all the time about what a music dork I am. That's usually about the time I turn on NPR. Lets see ya get into a good rhythm behind the boat while listening to NPR. J/K.

Actually I would like to upgrade the radio, but for now the one I have does fine. In a few years I'll get a brand new boat, and then I'll but in all the cool stuff you guys are talking about. I think the main thing I would like is the transom remote. The kids really like to swim while we are stopped, so we are in the water and on the back deck a lot.

CantRepeat
01-12-2011, 10:32 AM
OK, I've got all of the components except some new power wire, fuses, and the capacitor.

Can one of you stereo gurus take a look at this? The 6450m might be 75 watts, I need to download the manual on that amp.

http://www.mikesell.net/stereo.jpg

CantRepeat
01-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Do I really need a capacitor at all?

BNIROOSTER
01-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Do I really need a capacitor at all?

If you are powering your system from a dedicated deep cycle battery bank it would be a good idea to use a cap. The cap will discharge power to your amps faster than the deep cycles will. However your set up is not overly demanding for power, but for another 50 bucks why not?