PDA

View Full Version : Drain plugs Indmar Predator 310

Gamble
11-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Guys, I have a 2001 model Predator 310 HP marinized by Indmar. I'm trying to drain the block/manifolds. Does anyone have a picture of where these drains are located? I already put the boat up and am trying to go to the stall and do it to avoid taking it home, and I'd like to have a picture of what I'm gonna be looking for. Thanks in advance!

JimN
11-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Guys, I have a 2001 model Predator 310 HP marinized by Indmar. I'm trying to drain the block/manifolds. Does anyone have a picture of where these drains are located? I already put the boat up and am trying to go to the stall and do it to avoid taking it home, and I'd like to have a picture of what I'm gonna be looking for. Thanks in advance!

You should have a black hose with yellow plastic fittings at the rear of each exhaust manifold- separate the two halves of the hoses in the middle and let the water drain out. The block is drained by removing the petcock on one side and the knock sensor on the other (this sensor has a dark blue wire with a black plastic connector). I would replace the petcock with a brass plug.

The raw water pump, all of the hoses and circulating pump need to be drained and/or filled with RV anti-freeze. If you use anti-freeze, you don't necessarily need to drain the motor.

Gamble
11-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks Jim! In other words, what would be the best way to get anti-freeze circulating in the block? Should I disconnect the hose that goes into the bottom of the boat and put it in a bucket filled w/antifreeze/water mix? If this is possible, is there enough hose to put a bucket underneath it? Will the motor just suck it outta the bucket? This sounds like this would be the easiest solution if it would work-once the antifreeze comes out the back I should be good, right? Again, thanks for the help.

DeVrieski
11-08-2010, 12:18 AM
There are several good posts on how to do this on this website, I just did mine - same engine as yours and I learned how to do it from different threads on here. Look in the maintenance/storage winterizing section. I disconnected the raw water hose from the intake and then stuck it in a five gallon bucket. you will want to run water through first and bring the boat up to temp otherwise the thermostat won't open which wont allow the antifreeze to circulate through the block. Make sure the bucket is full before you turn the boat on and then keep a hose running to the bucket. My garden hose couldn't keep up and I had to turn the boat off several times to allow the bucket to refill and stay ahead of the boat.

Then, drain the block, and then put all plugs back in, then run antifreeze through. It took 4 gallons of antifreeze before I had it coming out the exhaust.

I would post the link to the posts that were helpful to me, but am not sure how to do that on this site.

Gamble
11-08-2010, 09:37 AM
great thanks! so, you were able to set the bucket in the bottom of the boat, then run the hose to it. I'm assuming you disconnected the hose at the bottom of the boat, where it goes into the screen.

east tx skier
11-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Pick up about 3 feet of 1.25" clear, flexible PVC hose from Lowes or Home Depot. Disconnect the hose from the lake side of the transmission cooler and use a hose clamp to put the clear hose on. Put the bucket in the boat and dunk the other end of the hose in the bucket. Fill with antifreeze and crank it up.

east tx skier
11-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Also, here is the approximate location of your drain plugs. Like Jim mentioned, there's probably a quick disconnect hose connecting the two manifold drains (it's actually pictured here). Yes, this is a 351, but the drain locations are similar.

Gamble
11-08-2010, 08:42 PM
you da man Eastie!!!!! Thanks!!!

Gamble
11-08-2010, 08:54 PM
now the only hard part is gonna be dealing w/the knock sensor......any tips u guys can tell me about them? do they twist off, unplug, or what? I'm assuming it is only on one side and it has to come off to drain that side. Am I correct?

Footin
11-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Squeeze the sides of the terminal conected to the knock sensor an the connector will come off. Then use a 7/8 wrench to removne the knock sensor.

JimN
11-08-2010, 09:32 PM
now the only hard part is gonna be dealing w/the knock sensor......any tips u guys can tell me about them? do they twist off, unplug, or what? I'm assuming it is only on one side and it has to come off to drain that side. Am I correct?

It unscrews and the thread is the same as a block plug or petcock. When you re-install it, go finger tight and then 3/4 of a turn more. If you over-tighten it, it will be damaged and it's a necessary part.

Gamble
11-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks Jim! Do I have to unplug it prior to removal, and if so, is it a simple "plug" that snaps into place? Or, can I leave it there and just unscrew it?

JimN
11-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks Jim! Do I have to unplug it prior to removal, and if so, is it a simple "plug" that snaps into place? Or, can I leave it there and just unscrew it?

The plug is somewhat oval and you need to squeeze it to get it to release.

wheelerd
11-09-2010, 02:36 AM
It was mentioned in passing in an earlier post but to re-emphasize...
Use RV antifreeze, not regular automotive antifreeze. In most places there are laws about the disposal of automotive antifreeze; you can't just let it run out of the exhaust and down the drain.
Also, DON'T dilute RV antifreeze.

It sounds as though you don't have the MC Owner's Manual for your boat. (I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ -- just making an observation.) You can download one here on this very website!!!
http://www.mastercraft.com/knowledge/owners_manuals
It will explain winterizing along with other important maintenance items.

Gamble
11-09-2010, 11:42 PM
nope, you're correct I don't have the owners manual........if I did, I wouldn't have to ask these questions or read these posts......but, thanks to your post I'll download them. Thanks.

Gamble
11-09-2010, 11:45 PM
I know one thing I'm darn sure not worried about though........how much antifreeze drips outta the back of my bote!

Gamble
11-28-2010, 12:17 AM
wanted to say thanks to all who helped! I went to the boat today and unscrewed the hose connection joining the two manifolds-it looked just like a garden hose connection. Water came out both hoses, a little rust colored. Is this o.k.? I'm assuming that's what I needed to unhook to drain them. Then I found the brass plug on port side, unscrewed it and let it drain. I then went to the starboard side, unplugged the knock sensor, unscrewed it and let it drain. When I put the brass plug back in, I got it tight, but there seemed to be a few threads still exposed. I didn't want to get it "super" tight, so I let it be. When I did the knock sensor, same thing-I got it finger tight, then gave it a little more. I hope I did it right! The hoses on the risers-the one I disconnected were on the starboard side, and I followed the other end of the hose and it connected to the port side, so I'm assuming I did it correctly. Any thoughts? Again, we have mild winters, just doing this as a precaution. Thanks again!!

JimN
11-28-2010, 06:20 AM
wanted to say thanks to all who helped! I went to the boat today and unscrewed the hose connection joining the two manifolds-it looked just like a garden hose connection. Water came out both hoses, a little rust colored. Is this o.k.? I'm assuming that's what I needed to unhook to drain them. Then I found the brass plug on port side, unscrewed it and let it drain. I then went to the starboard side, unplugged the knock sensor, unscrewed it and let it drain. When I put the brass plug back in, I got it tight, but there seemed to be a few threads still exposed. I didn't want to get it "super" tight, so I let it be. When I did the knock sensor, same thing-I got it finger tight, then gave it a little more. I hope I did it right! The hoses on the risers-the one I disconnected were on the starboard side, and I followed the other end of the hose and it connected to the port side, so I'm assuming I did it correctly. Any thoughts? Again, we have mild winters, just doing this as a precaution. Thanks again!!

Think like water- it goes to the lowest spots, which means the raw water pump, water hoses, oil cooler (if it's horizontal on the side of the engine) and anywhere else the water can settle.