PDA

View Full Version : Did I winterize it correctly?

DeVrieski
11-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Hi all,

I winterized my boat today. I have never done it before, so am wanting to make sure I did it correctly. I ran the boat up to about 160 deg (using a bucket with raw water hose in it to circulate water) Then after getting up to temp, I drained the block and maniforlds, put plugs back in, then filled the bucket with 4 gallons of RV/marine antifreeze and ran it until the antifreeze came out the exhaust. Then, I drained the block again - in part to make sure antifreeze had circulated and in part because that is how the local dealer has always done it. Here is my question: If, when I pulled all plugs and hoses in the block, all that came out was antifreeze, does that mean that the thermostat opened to allow the antifreeze to circulate to the whole block? I had read on here that sometimes the thermostat keeps closed even after being warm which sends the antifreeze straight to the exhaust. I am assuming that because antifreeze came out of both plugs in the block and both exhaust manifold drains that it circulated all the way through. Am I assuming correctly?

Also, does anyone know that the specs are for how many quarts of oil the 310 EFI predator takes? I can't find it in the manual

Thanks for your help!

boyd
11-07-2010, 01:15 AM
sleep without worrying. Sounds good to me. I've done mine for years just as you stated except I don't drain the block. You did one step better than me. I think you are good.
If in doubt, you can always remove the thermostat prior to adding the antifreeze. I think you can either drain everything or add antifreeze, you did both.
BOYD

Laurel_Lake_Skier
11-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Yep....your engine should be fine. You didn't mention anything about the transmission cooler....if you haven't already done so, pull the hose off the inlet side and tip the cooler down to let any water drain from it.

JohnnyB
11-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Exactly how I do my winterizing.

Re predator oil capacity, my manual says 4 to 5 quarts. If you use the factory filter, I'm guessing its closer to 4 quarts because its about 1/2 the height of a normal oil filter. I use a NAPA/WIX filter and use closer to five quarts. Also is going to depend on whether or not you get all the oil out of the pan to begin with.

I put about 4.5 in and run it a bit, then check the level and finish off from there.

DeVrieski
11-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Thanks all! Is the transmission cooler the black tube with two oil lines going into it from the transmission right off of the water pump? If so, I pulled the hose off of the bottom side of the cooler (antifreeze came out, but nothing came out fo the transmission cooler) Is this enough or should I try to get something to come out of the cooler itself?

Thanks again.

east tx skier
11-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Did you put fuel stabilizer in it? Did you fog it? What you did is fine for freeze protection. But there's more to be done. Did you change the oil? Transmission fluid?

Winterization Checklist (http://tylerskiclub.com/winterization.html)

JohnnyB
11-07-2010, 10:51 AM
My boat typically only sits for 4 mos at most, so I decided not to fog.

TX.X-30 fan
11-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Did you put fuel stabilizer in it? Did you fog it? What you did is fine for freeze protection. But there's more to be done. Did you change the oil? Transmission fluid?

Perfectionist!!!!!!!:D

east tx skier
11-07-2010, 12:41 PM
My boat typically only sits for 4 mos at most, so I decided not to fog.

Mine, too. Just got done fogging it. :D

Perfectionist!!!!!!!:D

See above.

DeVrieski
11-07-2010, 08:20 PM

I changed oil and filter. I was planning on changing tranny fluid in spring as I don't have a pump yet. I didn't fog the engine as the local dealer said it isn't necessary in our low humidity climate.

What is the potential damage done if you don't change tranny fluid in the fall?

Thanks again for your help!

TX.X-30 fan
11-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Nothing.......

SWeaver
11-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Ideally.......Change the Engine and Drive Train Oil

After running your boat all summer, it's likely that water, acids and other byproducts have built up. It's important to change the oil to prevent corrosion and excessive wear which can lead to loss of power, poor fuel economy or engine failure. Use a manual or electric oil changing system to make draining the oil easier, then add new oil according to the manufacturer's specifications. Run the engine to circulate the oil through the system. At the same time you change the oil, be sure to change the oil filter. Change the oil in transmission too.

east tx skier
11-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Not only that, but you will be excited to use your boat in the spring and won't want spend time changing fluids.

Luv2Ski
11-08-2010, 11:18 AM
I agree that changing the engine oil is important, but changing the drive train oil should be unnecessary unless it is either due for a change or has water in it.

Gamble
11-08-2010, 07:40 PM
I leave my tranny oil alone for a few seasons then change it.......upon inspection if it looks good I leave it.........I don't change the trans fluid in my truck each year either!

boyd
11-08-2010, 08:48 PM
If your trans. cooler is the same as mine there is a small bolt on the bottom of it. Unscrew it and it will drain. However, if you used antifreeze, like you said, then you have nothing to worry about. Why drain antifreeze.?

DeVrieski
11-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks all! I think I got her all sowed up for the winter tonight after work which is a good thing since our night time temperature is supposed to be bellow freezing all week. Does anyone have a recommendation for a bilge cleaner. For some reason there is a lot of greece in the bilge from the PO - not sure how this happened but I want to clean it out and soap and water didn't seem to cut it. Any ideas for how to get her nice and clean in the spring?

Winter project will be wet-sanding a few scratches. I am sure I will have questions once I start working on that.

east tx skier
11-08-2010, 11:30 PM
I like simple green in the bilge. Smells nice.

Thrall
11-09-2010, 10:23 PM
I like simple green in the bilge. Smells nice.

If you like licorice (?sp).

east tx skier
11-09-2010, 10:25 PM
If you like licorice (?sp).

Well, I use water to rinse the crud out of the bilge. But I didn't think that would do much with the grease. And I do like licorice. If beer would work, I'd pour it down there instead.

Thrall
11-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Your cooling system is extra winterized! Use your favorite degreaser, orange cleaner, ................or simple green in the bilge.

east tx skier
11-09-2010, 10:29 PM
That orange cleaner makes me want to hurl.

Diff'rent strokes.

DeVrieski
11-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Well, I use water to rinse the crud out of the bilge. But I didn't think that would do much with the grease. And I do like licorice. If beer would work, I'd pour it down there instead.

Why waste the beer? I will try one of these options. Thanks!

GoneBoatN
11-11-2010, 10:52 PM
I use an Bildge cleaner from the local marine supply store. Yes it was orange. I got a toilet brush from the dollar store to scrub. To reach areas too far to access by had I taped to a short pole.

DeVrieski
11-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Good idea with the toilet brush. Beats scrapping knuckles.