PDA

View Full Version : Extended warranty?

smsbrett
11-06-2010, 09:46 AM
So, I've gotta decide pretty soon if I want to upgrade to the extended warranty offered through my dealer. Anyone have any insight/thoughts/experiences?

I'm pretty sure I will at least do the accessories portion since there is so much electronic stuff on the boat, especially the BIG, but what about the engine?

smsbrett
11-08-2010, 01:03 PM
come on... someone has to have experience/opinion on this...

scott023
11-08-2010, 01:08 PM
I bought the 3+3 for ours... haven't had to use it yet, but the peace of mind it provides is great. Ours is set up like many others... we don't use the warranty, we get the full amount back that we paid for the coverage.

Ole Miss Rebels
11-08-2010, 01:32 PM
I bought the 3+3 for ours... haven't had to use it yet, but the peace of mind it provides is great. Ours is set up like many others... we don't use the warranty, we get the full amount back that we paid for the coverage.

WHAT???? my rebate was pro-rated. i had it on my 2005 xstar and never used it. i guess that is a good thing. i surrendered the policy when i traded the boat in to the dealership for my 2998 xstar. you can not transfer the remainder of the warranty to a dealership but you can transfer it to direct buyer. then i bought another warranty for my 2008. i have never used this one either but i am glad to have it. there are some pretty significant restrictions in the policy such as zero coverage from overheating unless caused by the failure of a covered part. also, zero coverage if water gets in any part of the engine. seems like thse two exclusions significantly limit the liklihood that you may file a valid claim. still, any of the electronics or tower racks made the policy attractive to me especially in light of the fact that MC only gives you a 1/3 year warranty. this addtional policy takes eventhe one year compnents out to the sixth year. not bad considering that five year extension on some pricey items.

ski_king
11-08-2010, 01:35 PM
........ i surrendered the policy when i traded the boat in to the dealership for my 2998 xstar. ............

Did you get one of the pre release models?

If it costs less than $400 and covers fuel pumps., get it.

vision
11-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Extended warranties give you piece of mind.

But, they offer them because they make the issuer money. Statistically, you are better off financially not to get the warranty. It is not even close. But again, for some the piece of mind is worth it and as stated, one major mechanical or electrical problem and you have paid for it.

scott023
11-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Did you get one of the pre release models?

If it costs less than $400 and covers fuel pumps., get it.

That's what I wanted to know... :D

scott023
11-08-2010, 02:51 PM
WHAT???? my rebate was pro-rated. i had it on my 2005 xstar and never used it. i guess that is a good thing. i surrendered the policy when i traded the boat in to the dealership for my 2998 xstar. you can not transfer the remainder of the warranty to a dealership but you can transfer it to direct buyer. then i bought another warranty for my 2008. i have never used this one either but i am glad to have it. there are some pretty significant restrictions in the policy such as zero coverage from overheating unless caused by the failure of a covered part. also, zero coverage if water gets in any part of the engine. seems like thse two exclusions significantly limit the liklihood that you may file a valid claim. still, any of the electronics or tower racks made the policy attractive to me especially in light of the fact that MC only gives you a 1/3 year warranty. this addtional policy takes eventhe one year compnents out to the sixth year. not bad considering that five year extension on some pricey items.

Ours isn't pro-rated... full value back if it isn't used. Coverage is through Cornerstone.

MCwake
11-09-2010, 11:40 AM
If you buy a 2011 with an Indmar engine, a 5 year factory direct engine warranty comes included with a boat insurance policy from Boaters Insurance Agency. The warranty is transferrable too.

http://waterskimag.com/news/2010/09/17/indmar-engines-factory-5-year-warranty/

macattack
11-09-2010, 12:33 PM
If you buy a 2011 with an Indmar engine, a 5 year factory direct engine warranty comes included with a boat insurance policy from Boaters Insurance Agency. The warranty is transferrable too.

http://waterskimag.com/news/2010/09/17/indmar-engines-factory-5-year-warranty/

Here's the link to Indmar's new engine warranty...

http://www.indmar.com/News/IndmarFactory5.pdf

Ole Miss Rebels
11-09-2010, 02:06 PM
i paid significantly more that $400 for my extended warranty.