PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on what to fill original screw holes for my interior with???

03geetee
11-05-2010, 09:07 AM
On my 83' S&S I would like to fill the holes with something that will harden and be able to take a screw for my driver seat, observers chair ect before I lay down new carpet this winter. Anyone recommend anything special that will work for this? Epoxy?

Thanks for any ideas!

JTR

Bouyhead
11-05-2010, 10:16 AM
The screws on the back of my observer seat hinge stripped out and I used Marine Tex. I used a plastic syringe to fill the holes. After it hardened i just re-drilled the holes.

Bouyhead
11-05-2010, 10:21 AM
http://www.marinetex.com/marinetexepoxyputty.html
Forgot the link.

mayo93prostar
11-05-2010, 10:31 AM
I have used marine tex in the floor and it worked very well. This was behind the motor box.

boyd
11-05-2010, 11:15 AM
I have two things in my tool box... Duct tape and JB Weld. I don't think the duct tape would hold. JB Weld for me, I love the stuff.

BOYD

Luv2Ski
11-05-2010, 01:36 PM
It is a tad unclear from you post so this may be irrelevant. Don't re-drill the holes before you put the carpet down, it is a PIA to try to find them. Much better off drilling new ones through the carpet.

In terms of filling the holes, any number of epoxy products should work fine. Might be easy to go with a thicker, fast curing (5 min), two-part epoxy. That way it will not have a tendency to drip through the hole and into the void. The epoxy putty would probably work fine too, the advantage of that stuff is it stays exactly where you put it. Any of these can be found at a local hardware store.

east tx skier
11-05-2010, 01:46 PM
http://www.marinetex.com/marinetexepoxyputty.html
Forgot the link.

Greatest invention ever. I am never without epoxy putty. Easiest thing in the world to use.

Hollywood
11-05-2010, 02:33 PM
In terms of filling the holes, any number of epoxy products should work fine.

Exactly.

MarineTex and JB Weld make a variety of products.

03geetee
11-05-2010, 03:26 PM
It is a tad unclear from you post so this may be irrelevant. Don't re-drill the holes before you put the carpet down, it is a PIA to try to find them. Much better off drilling new ones through the carpet.

In terms of filling the holes, any number of epoxy products should work fine. Might be easy to go with a thicker, fast curing (5 min), two-part epoxy. That way it will not have a tendency to drip through the hole and into the void. The epoxy putty would probably work fine too, the advantage of that stuff is it stays exactly where you put it. Any of these can be found at a local hardware store.

Yeah I just wanted to fill the holes solid then lay the carpet then just screw in the fasteners and go. Not the otherway you posted that would be impossible.

Thanks for the help guys!

JTR