PDA

View Full Version : Why is the rudder offset?

Miss Rita
11-04-2010, 11:22 PM
My '89 DD has a left hand prop, and the rudder is offset about one inch to the left of the propshaft. Can someone explain why? (I have a theory, but I'm not going to say anything for fear of sounding stupid. Again.:))

Double D
11-04-2010, 11:34 PM
My '89 DD has a left hand prop, and the rudder is offset about one inch to the left of the propshaft. Can someone explain why? (I have a theory, but I'm not going to say anything for fear of sounding stupid. Again.:))

To get the shaft out without having to remove the rudder.

Miss Rita
11-04-2010, 11:38 PM
That's it? Aren't there any other explanations involving irreconcilable prop torque, torque thrust, centrifugal force, or the coriolis effect?

Double D
11-04-2010, 11:51 PM
That's it? Aren't there any other explanations involving irreconcilable prop torque, torque thrust, centrifugal force, or the coriolis effect?

LOL, that is what I heard. But I will let someone else provide the more complicated answers, if there are any.... :confused:

Miss Rita
11-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Next question: If I have a LH prop and my rudder is offset to the left, do those of you out there with RH props have the rudder offset to the right?

coz
11-05-2010, 01:36 PM
LOL, that is what I heard. But I will let someone else provide the more complicated answers, if there are any.... :confused:

It's off center so it's not sitting in the pocket of air directly behind the prop that truns into prop wash a little futher back.

Hollywood
11-05-2010, 02:40 PM
So you're telling me all the boats on here have this???

I suspect not. BIGGER boats, yes. On a MasterCraft I think the answer is - that's just where it all bolted up. These boats are hand built.

east tx skier
11-05-2010, 02:47 PM
It's off center so it's not sitting in the pocket of air directly behind the prop that truns into prop wash a little futher back.

I think I recall reading that it's a combination of this and easy removal.

saberworks
11-05-2010, 02:53 PM
A dealer once told me it's to help them track straight as well, to offset the prop rotation. Not sure I buy it.

coz
11-05-2010, 03:08 PM
I think I recall reading that it's a combination of this and easy removal.

I actually got that from here a while ago, it's been asked a few time since I've been here :D

Red 08 Xstar
11-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Every V-drive I've ever owned has been this way. It's not just Mastercrafts.

Miss Rita
11-06-2010, 01:40 AM
I got a more detailed explanation from the RC boat crowd.

Jim@BAWS
11-06-2010, 11:17 AM

One reason the rudder is offset. There has to be some type of torque on the rudder that allows the driver to hold the boat straight. If the rudder was directly behind the prop it would have a tendency to fludder. Having is slightly offset set allows flutter not to happen

A dealer once told me it's to help them track straight as well, to offset the prop rotation. Not sure I buy it.

Time to BUY BUY BUY...Then SELL SELL SELL

The idea of EASY REMOVAL is pure HYPE...not the reason at all

Jim@BAWS

TX.X-30 fan
11-06-2010, 11:46 AM
I thought mine being off center was just a quality control issue...............

Miss Rita
11-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks Jim! An answer that makes sense!

Any explanation as to why it's offset to the left and not to the right?

?

ahhudgins
11-06-2010, 12:42 PM

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem. I've been calling MC for years trying to get this fixed! :D

I'd bet that I could go to my MC dealer and ask 3 guys why the rudder is offset and get 3 different answers. What ever the true reason is, I like the fact that it does make it quicker to pull the prop shaft.

Time to go outside and winterize the boat. Air temps are only in the low 40/50s and the water was the same last weekend.:mad::mad::mad:

coz
11-06-2010, 02:33 PM
I got a more detailed explanation from the RC boat crowd.

I'm sure the toy boat forums are a hot bed of information, never thought of that :D

DooSPX
11-06-2010, 02:36 PM
One reason the rudder is offset. There has to be some type of torque on the rudder that allows the driver to hold the boat straight. If the rudder was directly behind the prop it would have a tendency to fludder. Having is slightly offset set allows flutter not to happen

Jim@BAWS

That is the same reason I have heard over the years as well. I never have heard that one real reason inboard makers do it is for easy DS removal, but it is a good side effect.

Double D
11-06-2010, 03:07 PM

The idea of EASY REMOVAL is pure HYPE...not the reason at all

Jim@BAWS

So how does Correct Craft get away with it?? All the rudders I have seen on those are right in the middle?

Jim@BAWS
11-06-2010, 04:38 PM

From everything I read from you...you are WAY RIGHT of center. Of course that is a good thing

PELOSI AND REID STILL SUCK!!!

Jim@BAWS

Jim@BAWS
11-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks Jim! An answer that makes sense!
Any explanation as to why it's offset to the left and not to the right?
?

PROP ROTATION

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem. I've been calling MC for years trying to get this fixed! :D

I'd bet that I could go to my MC dealer and ask 3 guys why the rudder is offset and get 3 different answers. What ever the true reason is, I like the fact that it does make it quicker to pull the prop shaft.:

Are you just looking for answers or the right answer???

So how does Correct Craft get away with it?? All the rudders I have seen on those are right in the middle?

I dont know...I am not a Correct Craft dealer. I will tell you that a CC turns much better to the left vs. to the right...I guess they cant do everything CORRECT ly HA HA HA

Jim@BAWS

east tx skier
11-06-2010, 05:13 PM
PROP ROTATION

Are you just looking for answers or the right answer???

I dont know...I am not a Correct Craft dealer. I will tell you that a CC turns much better to the left vs. to the right...I guess they cant do everything CORRECT ly HA HA HA

Jim@BAWS

That's true. Unfortunately, my father in law's MC does the same thing at slower speeds.

Jim@BAWS
11-07-2010, 12:13 AM
That's true. Unfortunately, my father in law's MC does the same thing at slower speeds.

You SOLD your MC to your father in law???

east tx skier
11-07-2010, 12:41 AM
You SOLD your MC to your father in law???

No. He has had a 98 205 since 2002.