PDA

View Full Version : Should I replace my rudder? W/ pic

Bouyhead
11-04-2010, 07:10 AM
Original rudder on my 96 PS 190. Was under the boat doing my annual running gear inspection and saw this. Salt water boat that is normally stored high & dry. During the summer the boat will occasionally stay in the water for 1-2 days without coming out. Can this be repaired or am I looking at replacement?

bturner2
11-04-2010, 07:35 AM
It doesn't look that bad and probably wouldn't effect anything at this point. If you do want it repaired it could be braised in then ground down and polished. OJ would probably do that repair but someone local could probably do it just as well also. At this point it's mostly cosmetic.

Kyle
11-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Filing an edge makes the boat drive different. Does that chunk missing do anything. I would repair or replace it.

Thrall
11-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Mine kinda looked like that. It drove fine, I'd leave it alone. Worst case braze some filler in it if you're concerned about it.

east tx skier
11-04-2010, 10:37 AM
I suppose you could take a file to it, smooth it out, and file the other side of the leading edge the same. Leaving it alone or having it repaired in the off season would work, too.

1redTA
11-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Do you use zinc on the boat with the salt water? If it was steering different you could band-aid with some epoxy sanded smooth.

Bouyhead
11-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks guys. Some good ideas here. I don't run zincs because I'm only in the water for 2 consecutive days in a row at the most. I think I'll try the epoxy route and just keep an eye on it next year.

rjracin240
11-04-2010, 03:50 PM
There are weld procedures for doing repairs, but as an alternative before you put your epoxy on if going this route insure all contaminates are out of the pitting. Would gues to say that the epoxy route would probably last indefinitely

Bruce Carr
11-04-2010, 04:12 PM
I've seen this before. I think what you have is erosion of the material from prop cavitation, sometimes refered to as cavtation burn. I have seen this condition on the prop, rudder and the fibeglass near the rudder port flange. I don't think it is any type of corrsion from salt water. Fill the area with epoxy or JB weld, let it cure and sand it to contour.

broncotw
11-04-2010, 04:35 PM
After seeing what Eric at OJ Props did to my prop -- I am sure he can fix your rudder in his sleep!

Hollywood
11-04-2010, 05:18 PM
I've seen this before. I think what you have is erosion of the material from prop cavitation, sometimes refered to as cavtation burn. I have seen this condition on the prop, rudder and the fibeglass near the rudder port flange. I don't think it is any type of corrsion from salt water. Fill the area with epoxy or JB weld, let it cure and sand it to contour.

this^^

Describe how you mostly use the boat. Engine/trans/prop, speeds/rpm.

Bouyhead
11-05-2010, 06:05 AM

this^^

Describe how you mostly use the boat. Engine/trans/prop, speeds/rpm.

100% salt water use. 275HP TBI/1.1 Trans./Original 13X13 OJ Slalom course tug 30-34 MPH Baselines are 1.1 Cruise at 2800-3000 RPMs' and cruise we do! Boat has over 2000 hrs. Original prop, reconditioned a few times. a few strut bushings replaced. 2nd driveshaft, and the original rudder, replaced packing O rings once. Trying to avoid replacing the rudder this spring because i really want to treat myself to a new prop. Thanks.

Hollywood
11-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Doesn't sound like you're producing any excess caviation. I'd say the normal amount of cavitation has eroded a weak spot in your rudder. Those aren't exactly highly engineered castings. I wouldn't worry about filling the voids with anything, especially if it's not affecting your handling. Do you have turn-around islands?

Bouyhead
11-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Doesn't sound like you're producing any excess caviation. I'd say the normal amount of cavitation has eroded a weak spot in your rudder. Those aren't exactly highly engineered castings. I wouldn't worry about filling the voids with anything, especially if it's not affecting your handling. Do you have turn-around islands?

No turn-around islands & plenty of room to spin for the guys that do.

TX.X-30 fan
11-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Eric will be out of pocket for a few days he was called to Cape Canaveral to repair the Shuttles hydrogen leak............

j2nh
11-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Back in 2001 Correct Craft got a bunch of bad castings for their tracking fins. Looked almost identical to what you have. They started out perfect and within one year were pitted up bad enough to cause a recall. I would guess a small porosity/defect in the rudder casting was the source.