PDA

View Full Version : Knock Sensor / Check engine light / Maristar

kwine
11-03-2010, 04:53 PM
I have a 2001 350 LTR in a Maristar. The check engine light contiunes to come on each time i get above 3000 rpm. However, when i turn the motor off the check engine light resets and doesn't come back on until i get above 3000 rpm. I took the boat over the summer to my local dealer and he said the computor told him the knock sensor was going off and causing the check engine light.

To fully check it out he wants to do a lake test, but it's pricey to have him do that. I saw online i can buy a knock sensor for this engine in a corvette for about $50.00. Alot cheaper than a lake test.

Anyone every have this problem before? Can i use a knock sensor for an auto or does it have to be some sort of anti corrison version for a boat?

Thoughts?

Skipper
11-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Not too expensive to replace. Try www.skidim.com. They have good prices. Very easy to replace also.

MJWine
11-03-2010, 10:56 PM
thanks Skipper. I checked the site and they have it for $26.00. I'm going to try this first.

Thanks again.

C36
11-04-2010, 05:52 PM
...Anyone every have this problem before? ...

We have our boat (2001, 310 hp Predator) delivered by the dealer (because where we use it is a five hour flight from where we live). This summer we had the boat delivered at about 10 am - warmed it up took it up to about 2,500 rpm once, then back down to idle, then up to about 3,500, then back down to idle. When I was bringing into the dock I noticed the "check engine" light was on. Just about had a heart attack, called the dealer and asked them to turn the delivery truck/trailer around to come pick it up.

They picked up the boat and pulled the error codes from the engine back at the dealership. Error code was for the knock sensor. They changed out the knock sensor and the lead to the sensor and had the boat back to me by 3 pm the same day. After the new sensor and lead was in, the boat ran great the rest of the season. I am very pleased with the service I get from our dealer (Buckeye Marine in Ontario, Canada). They never suggested a water test was required, but they did ask me a few questions (prior to picking it up) about how the boat was operating.

Hope your issue is resolved quickly (and cheaply).

MJWine
11-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks C36, I forgot about the lead, so I'm glad you said something. I'm going to replace both. Thanks again for the info.