PDA

View Full Version : new owner without manual: how to drain the block? 24 degrees on Thursday!

DavidMCX30
11-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Bought 2002 X30 this year. Unfortunately, no detailed owner's manual (only the general marketing brochure). The marina was supposed to have it pulled and winterized but are running way behind. It’s already dropped below 32 twice and the forecast for Thursday night is 24. I'm having trouble sleeping at night….

I know the recommendation on this site is to drain the block. Can one of you kind folks tell me what I needto do? Where are the plugs located, etc.? I also have a heater and shower but am much less concerned about those, even though I understand heater is first to go. Supposed to be lows in the 40s next week, so just need to get through this cold spell. I will drop the boat into the water for radiant heat as suggested in several posts. No electricity to plug in a light for warmth.

Not mechanically inclined, so please type very slowly! A picture of the plugs location would earn my eternal gratitude. I will be doing this in the dark on the lift tomorrow night. Good times.

Thanks!

ntidsl
11-03-2010, 02:04 PM
find a mechanically inclined friend, read threads related to winterizing already on here together. get the tools together and head to the boat today!!!

Table Rocker
11-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Here is a good place to start.

http://www.mastercraft.com/files/manuals/2002_OwnersManual.pdf

Edit: Actually there isn't much winterizing info here. Here is an Indmar manual:

http://indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/Manual1994_2002web.pdf

seth045
11-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Is it still in the water? Leave it in the water! There are a few winterizing check lists on this forum. Go to the "technical" section under "maintenance tips". Several guys put list up there. I have an Idmars list I can email you.

Good luck!

bobx1
11-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Not sure what engine you have so that is the first step - determine the engine. As ntidsl said, do a search on "winterization" in this forum. On my Indmar RTP-1, it is a very simple and quick process (less than 5 minutes and only requires a wrench and screwdriver).

1 - Find brass plugs (2) and un-screw. Water will drain out. Put the screws in a baggy and zip-tie to your steering wheel (just so you remember that you removed them).

2 - Locate and unscrew the quick disconnect hose and more water will drain (I leave mine unhooked).

3 - Locate and remove both hoses from the water pump - more water will drain.

4 - Remove hose from Transmission cooler - more water will drain.

The winterization thread will go into more detail, in terms of oil change, tranny fluid, ballast, heater, etc. The above is the quick and dirty method for getting water out of your system. AGAIN, this is for the RTP engine.

***EDIT*** Disregard some of my post - others had faster fingers.

DavidMCX30
11-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Yes, leaving in the water for sure! I have downloaded the manual but it doesn't offer much. I also checked the threads before posting. Great tips, advice, and checklists. What I read is that it only takes a few minutes to drain block and riser. I just need to know where plugs are located. Thanks again.

DavidMCX30
11-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Is it still in the water? Leave it in the water! There are a few winterizing check lists on this forum. Go to the "technical" section under "maintenance tips". Several guys put list up there. I have an Idmars list I can email you.

Good luck!

Not sure what engine you have so that is the first step - determine the engine. As ntidsl said, do a search on "winterization" in this forum. On my Indmar RTP-1, it is a very simple and quick process (less than 5 minutes and only requires a wrench and screwdriver).

1 - Find brass plugs (2) and un-screw. Water will drain out. Put the screws in a baggy and zip-tie to your steering wheel (just so you remember that you removed them).

2 - Locate and unscrew the quick disconnect hose and more water will drain (I leave mine unhooked).

3 - Locate and remove both hoses from the water pump - more water will drain.

4 - Remove hose from Transmission cooler - more water will drain.

The winterization thread will go into more detail, in terms of oil change, tranny fluid, ballast, heater, etc. The above is the quick and dirty method for getting water out of your system. AGAIN, this is for the RTP engine.

***EDIT*** Disregard some of my post - others had faster fingers.

Thanks, I think I can follow this!

DavidMCX30
11-03-2010, 03:17 PM

Edit: Actually there isn't much winterizing info here. Here is an Indmar manual:

http://indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/Manual1994_2002web.pdf

The Indmar manual is just what I needed! Thanks!

FrankSchwab
11-03-2010, 07:35 PM
The one thing to remember is that, when you remove any of the plugs in the block, to stick a screwdriver in and root around a little. Scale,rust, sand, etc., tends to collect where the plugs are, and block the flow of water coming out of the plug hole.

Eagle Lake Rebel
11-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Don't forget to remove the small drain plug on the bottom of the oil cooler.

DavidMCX30
11-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Armed with tool bag, the Indmar manual and a printed version of this thread, I was fearlessly (fearfully?) heading to the dock to do my best. But the gods were kind -- got a call from the marina while in transit letting me know boat was pulled, block drained. All is good. Went and had a beer instead.

Sincere thanks to all of you for taking pity on a newbie. This community is amazing.

ntidsl
11-04-2010, 09:21 AM
I would have kept venturing and checked the boat anyway. It would be good practice. We should all know how to do certain things on our boats; draining the mainfolds and block and all subsequent hoses is definitely one of those things. Read the manual and keep abreast of the forum and you'll learn all you need. that way when its time to replace a fuel pump or impellar or anything on the water at 3pm on a beautiful Saturday you'll be able to do it and be the hero of the week!!!

DavidMCX30
11-04-2010, 11:16 AM
I would have kept venturing and checked the boat anyway. It would be good practice. We should all know how to do certain things on our boats; draining the mainfolds and block and all subsequent hoses is definitely one of those things. Read the manual and keep abreast of the forum and you'll learn all you need. that way when its time to replace a fuel pump or impellar or anything on the water at 3pm on a beautiful Saturday you'll be able to do it and be the hero of the week!!!

Agreed! The learning curve has been steep but enjoyable. And this forum has been invaluable. It's been a challenge not having a MC manual up to this point. The Indmar manual will be very useful.

Chicago190
11-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Agreed! The learning curve has been steep but enjoyable. And this forum has been invaluable. It's been a challenge not having a MC manual up to this point. The Indmar manual will be very useful.

MC manual isn't much use for maintenance, at least compared to this forum.