PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Launching Boat

skilew
07-11-2005, 08:43 AM
I do not have a MC trailer but it is a drive on trailer for an IB type boat.

The boat trailers great. But when I unhook the winch strap from the bow eye when unloading the boat, the bow drops down and rubs over the winch stand roller bow stop. At one point it rubbed so hard that it pulled the rub rail off at the bow.

I have tried floating the boat off with the trailer deeper in the water but this does not help.

Do I need to have the trailer modified to take care of this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

stevo137
07-11-2005, 08:46 AM
Without seeing your rig, it's tough to tell but it sounds like you are in too deep with your trailer when you launch.

BrianM
07-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Without seeing your rig, it's tough to tell but it sounds like you are in too deep with your trailer when you launch.

I thought the same thing. If the ramp is excessively steep it could be causing this issue as well. On the steep ramp I use I have to back in shallow and then push/lift the bow over the V block so the bow eye doesn't tear up the carpet.

skilew
07-11-2005, 08:55 AM
I have tried it at various depths but still no success. I am wondering if I may need another keel roller closer toward the front of the boat.

stevo137
07-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Sounds like you will need to modify it.

John B
07-11-2005, 09:19 AM
I have the same problem with my boat / trailer when I launch.
When you back in, put the trailer in the water just enough to get the water intake in the water.
Then drive the boat off. If you have the trailer in shallow, the boat will still be on the bunks till it is about haft way off the trailer.Just make sure it is in deep enough to get water to the engine when you start it.
If this doesn't work you might have to raise the bunks on the front of your trailer.

skilew
07-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Sounds like I need to try and launch at a shallower depth. I will try this weekend and hope for better results.

bigmac
07-12-2005, 09:20 AM
I do not have a MC trailer but it is a drive on trailer for an IB type boat.

The boat trailers great. But when I unhook the winch strap from the bow eye when unloading the boat, the bow drops down and rubs over the winch stand roller bow stop. At one point it rubbed so hard that it pulled the rub rail off at the bow.

I have tried floating the boat off with the trailer deeper in the water but this does not help.

Do I need to have the trailer modified to take care of this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.I think it would help if you could post a picture of the front of your trailer showing the roller angle, the post angle, and the winch arrangement.

ssippiriverrat
07-16-2005, 12:44 AM
I don't know how old your boat is but when I bought my '79 a year or two ago I put the back end in and tried to drive it off the trailer. I put it into reverse and the boat twisted weird and the front rudder fin hit the steel trailer support! Completely bent the rudder. And the worst part was the place that I asked to fix the thing couldn't bend it back perfectly straight. Umm, so I never back it off I always dump it very deep and push it off now. But I don't know if that helps you because the '79's didn't have winches. Just my :twocents:

Workin' 4 Toys
08-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Launch at a shallower depth. The rule of thumb I use, the water should barely be at the top of the fenders of the trailer. We have been successful with this rule at numerous launches at many levels.

Andyg
08-03-2005, 11:46 AM
I found that with my pain in the a$$ 2003 trailer that if I use a specific height trailer hitch it improves launching significantly. You may want to try a couple of different trailer hitches and see if the change in trailer tongue height helps. I went from a 3" drop to a 1" in drop on my F150 and it made it much easier to launch. I tried a 6" drop and that made it worse for my setup.