PDA

View Full Version : Repairing platform damage

tdrr
11-02-2010, 01:22 AM
I'd appreciate some hints about what it would take to repair this. The dealer's gel guy wanted $700 which seemed like a lot. Seeing as it's the platform, I'm not super picky about a can't-tell-it-was-there kind of repair. What would be reasonable if I shop for some more quotes? How tough a DIY job is this for a newbie?

Big Dogg
11-02-2010, 02:29 AM
Cant help you out but WOWZERS! That is not $700 worth of difficult!

CantRepeat
11-02-2010, 08:03 AM
That's just crazy!! There is no way that should cost $700 bucks.

I had damage that was worse then that and it only cost me $500 bucks. Find someone else.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat1.jpg

bturner2
11-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Not sure what boat you have but you could get a new teak platform for that kind of money. While I do like the way the fiberglass platforms look chips and scratches are the reason why I decided to stay away from them.

As to the repair, as long as there is no structural damage you should be able to grind out the chipped and cracked gel-coat and then apply new gel-coat to the area. The idea will be to feather the edges of the ground out area to create a smooth transition from the damaged area. Apply the gel-coat to the damaged area and once dried (make sure it is fully cured) you'll block out and shape the repair. I typically start with 600 and work my way down to 1500 grit wet paper. I then finish with polishing compound to bring the shine back to the repair. It may take several applications of gel-coat to get this right.

Most times matching the gel-coat will the most difficult part of a good repair. Check with Spectrum Color to see if they stock a patch kit for your boat. This is by far the easiest way to get a good match and quality looking repair. All said it should take a few hours of work within a couple days mostly waiting for the gel-coat to dry.

Thrall
11-02-2010, 09:45 AM
WHat bturner said is correct, except you don't want to feather out the edges for gelcoat. You want a deep square edge, maybe 1/16" deep. Get all the cracked gel ground out, fill the repair with some resin or bondo and then grind it back out so the repair has square edges. Apply some gel, cure it, sand smooth carefully and polish out. Assuming you have the tools, you can get a little gel putty from SPectrum Color and the rest of the materials for less than $100.
I repaired much bigger scratches in the old boat in 1 afternoon.
Oh and you don't need to wait very long to sand/polish. I sanded my repairs down while the gel was pretty green, maybe 1 hr old and then polished it up a couple hrs later. Goes quicker if the gel is not completely cured. I was mixing the gel by hand so I made a hot patch out of it.

Luv2Ski
11-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Good recommendations. For clarity, I believe everybody is discussing the use of a gelcoat paste. This is different than standard gelcoat but easier to work with in a repair like this. You can get one of the small repair kits that contain the paste and coloring agents for around $25.

Check out this post for more details. (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=699463&postcount=37)