PDA

View Full Version : Lake Districts / Associations

Andyg
11-01-2010, 10:30 PM
I have a cabin on a lake in Northern Wisconsin that a petition to form a lake association has been signed by 51% of the property owners and is being presented at a public hearing by the county to review this petition. The problem I have is that they want to base the amount that everyone pays each year to the lake district on property values. They are going to base it off of the property values and use a standard mil rate for everyone. I don't understand how property value has any significance in how you use the lake. You could have a place that has not been touched in 20 years and the owner uses the lake every day, but because their assessed value is low they pay less than their neighbor that remodeled their house and only comes up twice a month. I was in another lake association with my previous cabin and everyone on the lake paid the same fee. I think this is more appropriate.

What are other peoples experience with how their lake associations charges property owners?

Andyg

D3skier
11-01-2010, 10:43 PM
I say tell them to take their association and shove it where the sun don't shine.....

j2nh
11-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Andy, I live in NE Wisconsin and our Lake Association, actually a small group of members, tried to form a lake district several years ago. It was defeated immediately.
The current lake association is a voluntary one with small dues. The focus is limited to safety issues like channel markers, signage at the public landing and probably most important invasive species. We were successful a couple of years ago in obtaining a DNR grant for lake quality assessments. As a diverse group of lake home owners we recognized that our problems would be resolved internally and informally, a position that has served us well for almost 30 years. Lake District = DNR which = TROUBLE.

The Wisconsin Lakes Association is a very politically oriented organization which is very, very anti property rights and water skiing/boarding seems to be under attack from this group almost continuously.

If I were you I would be opposed to the formation of a Lake District, and vehemently opposed to any kind of assessment. First the group forms, then once formed, the rules and regulations begin, then the conflict, then the letters to the editor, then the loss of freedoms.

Hope it works out.
Jim
Former many term Lake Association Officer

Andyg
11-02-2010, 12:30 AM
The problem I have with these districts is the views of a few dictate to all. Even though it is a democratic institution 90% of the people that have property on the lake really don't care what they do. In our case they are forming it for two reasons, to try and manage invasive species and they state they are going to try and work with the owner of the dam to regulate water levels. The problem is that the owner of the dam is licensed to operate the dam by the federal gov until 2026 so there is no hope in managing the lake level. The people on the lake that I think signed the petition are being misled that they will now have a voice when it comes to managing the lake level. Unfortunately now they are going to have another govt entity to deal with that will not do what it says it is going to do. Typical of todays politics. Promise you one thing and deliver another.

I have no problem donating money annually to manage safety issues such as buoy placements and the management of invasive species, but to pay based on my home value blows my mind.

It sounds like this is a done deal since the petition has greater than 51% of property owners having already signed it. There is a meeting to review the petition by the county on the 13th so I will go up there and see if there is anything that can still be done to kill it.

Rockman
11-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Andy,

In plain english...Lake Associations SUCK!

Reason being is that they are not formed for the overall interest of ALL property owners on the lake and most of the time run by people who do not know their a$$ from a hole in the ground.

Want to see first hand? Come to our lakehouse this summer. Our management district is run by some wanna be lawyer who is 60 years old who think he knows everything but doesn't understand a thing about tournament ski boats...other than they have way too much horsepower than his crappy aluminum fishing boat that makes a bigger wake. His vision is to ban all power boats (including remote control ones) so he has peace and quiet so he could sit on his porch and wait for himself to die as he watches the sunset with his wife.

Am I a bit disgruntle now...:rolleyes:

JohnnyB
11-02-2010, 02:20 PM
My advice is anywhere between caution and run and hide.

Typically, lake associations bring restrictions -- no-wake hours, boat size, etc. As a barefooter, no-wake before 10am and after 4pm really hampers my ski time.

I have never been on a lake where a lake association has been a positive...