PDA

View Full Version : Engine Replacement 1989 190 TriStar

190TriStar
11-01-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm looking for a resourse that would tell me where I could find a replacement for my 1989 190 TriStar 351w. It's blown and I'd like to find a used long block and just drop it in and hook it up. I'm interested in what other boats or automobilies used this Ford 351 so I can strip it down and use it's long block to replace my damaged motor. Any ideas?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
11-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Find a late 80's early 90's f- series truck as a donor and reuse all your accessories. Try LKQ they have good used motors as a good price and can deliver, my dealership uses them all the time.

thatsmrmastercraft
11-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Make sure you use the water pump from the original engine, or get a new marine water pump. Also you will need to take out the steel frost plugs and replace them with brass.

Luv2Ski
11-01-2010, 10:16 PM
There is a large number of marine engine rebuilders out there on the web that will ship you a block in exchange for the core. Many of them offer upgraded engines as well for not that much more $. I have no direct experience with a 351, just suggesting that it might be worth a search as I think they run around $1,500 which may not be too bad depending on what you can find.

I did a mail-order rebuilt engine on a Jet Ski a few years back and have been pleased.

Otherwise, as mentioned, the 351w is pretty easy to find in the light duty trucks.

190TriStar
11-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know a resource that would tell me what model and year Ford automobile used the same block and heads a 1989 190 Tristar used. I'm trying to use the block number to try to cross reference it to other blocks that can be used as replacements.
I wonder how late a model of F150 has a block that can be swapped out for my 1989? The newer and lower mileage replacement the better!

flipper
11-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Don't use an automotive engine, they are not the same as marine. It won't last very long

DooSPX
11-05-2010, 11:45 AM
The block is the same as a Automotive block, but has brass freeze plugs. The heads have brass freeze plugs too.
Indmar changed the cam to a larger than stock automotive 351W cam. The starter, carb, alt and distrib. is all marine. Also, they have a 142 T-Stat, special stat housing. A few other odds and ins too, but do not remember.

what is wrong with your block? Your crank might be good too. Honed, new bearings, seals, and a few other parts and you have yourself a good rebuild.
You could most likely have it honed/bored, new bottom end if needed, upgrade the heads/intake for more power and be about the same or little less than a complete engine.