PDA

View Full Version : Tap, Tap, Tap

amcmac
11-01-2010, 02:08 PM
This is the sound my engine was making yesterday when i fired it up in the driveway to winterize. I was warming up the engine to drain the oil, when the engine was tapping. To me it sounded like a lifter, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from (not even which bank). I ran the engine off the garden hose and it was around 65 degrees. The engine never made it up to 160 degrees. Is it possible the engine was so cold that the lifters were making this sound. Not sure if all the lifters were making this sound but like I said I couldn't tell where it was coming from.

1redTA
11-01-2010, 03:04 PM
My 98 pickup does this, I figure after 220,000 original miles I wouldn't want to get up in the morning either but it runs great!

Willski
11-01-2010, 03:29 PM
My 99 chevy did it too. Had it for 9 years and 95000 miles and never had issues...not sure if this is what you're hearing.

Jim@BAWS
11-01-2010, 03:31 PM
I might get slammed for this cause no one understands my humor....sometimes not even me

WHAT MOTOR??????????? IN WHAT BOAT?????????

Jim@BAWS

amcmac
11-01-2010, 03:37 PM
'05 X7 Rtp-1

beef
11-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Could also possibly be an exhaust leak. I had a small leak between my manifold and riser on one side that was producing a tapping sound just like you describe. I just replaced my manifolds and risers and the tapping sound is gone.

gchapman-tt
11-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Could also possibly be an exhaust leak. I had a small leak between my manifold and riser on one side that was producing a tapping sound just like you describe. I just replaced my manifolds and risers and the tapping sound is gone.

Or a crack in muffler.

1redTA
11-02-2010, 02:16 PM
I might get slammed for this cause no one understands my humor....sometimes not even me

WHAT MOTOR??????????? IN WHAT BOAT?????????

Jim@BAWS

Chevy Volt and the Toyota Leaf have motors HeHe

thatsmrmastercraft
11-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Chevy Volt and the Toyota Leaf have motors HeHe

You forgot to mention a Barbie car.v :rolleyes:

1redTA
11-02-2010, 06:17 PM
You forgot to mention a Barbie car.v :rolleyes:

Next time, I will try and include your ride(s)

Nvrgvup
11-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Do you know if you had good oil pressure?

What was the temp outside when you were running it?

If you were running a 15w40 or 20w50 oil it could of been cold enough out that the oil was pretty thick and may not have been able to pump up the hydraulic lifters causing the noise. This should go away as the engine warms up. If not like others said it may be an exhaust manifold leak.

amcmac
11-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Do you know if you had good oil pressure?

What was the temp outside when you were running it?

If you were running a 15w40 or 20w50 oil it could of been cold enough out that the oil was pretty thick and may not have been able to pump up the hydraulic lifters causing the noise. This should go away as the engine warms up. If not like others said it may be an exhaust manifold leak.

It was around 65 degrees that day. I had good oil pressure. I have know idea what oil is in it. I just got the boat this year and this will be it's first oil change by me. I plan on running it today as the weather is supposed to be around 70. I think you are right I believe it was the cold oil was not making it up to the lifters.

Kyle
11-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Beat me to it. Oil pressure is good.

Table Rocker
11-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Although it is more of a knocking sound (much lower pitch than a lifter), late model GM's can suffer from excessive piston slap at start up. You can play an audio file of a piston slapping engine on this site:

http://www.pistonslap.com/photos.htm