PDA

View Full Version : First ever winterization of my '75 S&S...

trapjaw
10-31-2010, 05:52 PM
I ran my boat until it was at operating temp. (150 F) for around 10 minutes by letting the uptake hose suck from a 5 gallon bucket with a water hose in it. I then filled the bucket with straight RV/Marine antifreeze, and let it suck it up until it was pure AF coming out the exhaust.
I then removed the block drain-plugs and exhaust manifold plugs, so they could drain competely.

The winters here get to about 15 F at worst. Does it sound like my boat will be alright the way i did it?
Thanks for any responses guys.

Bert
10-31-2010, 05:58 PM
I ran my boat until it was at operating temp. (150 F) for around 10 minutes by letting the uptake hose suck from a 5 gallon bucket with a water hose in it. I then filled the bucket with straight RV/Marine antifreeze, and let it suck it up until it was pure AF coming out the exhaust.
I then removed the block drain-plugs and exhaust manifold plugs, so they could drain competely.

The winters here get to about 15 F at worst. Does it sound like my boat will be alright the way i did it?
Thanks for any responses guys.
It will be fine. No real need to warm up before draning block but it won't hurt. Have done it both ways over the years.

trapjaw
11-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Ok. I thought i did need to warm it up though, so the thermostat would open all the way.

I'm hoping i didn't overlook something though.

thatsmrmastercraft
11-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Ok. I thought i did need to warm it up though, so the thermostat would open all the way.

I'm hoping i didn't overlook something though.

There are a lot of variations on winterizing. You could spend all day on here using the search function to look up old posts on winterizing.

Your procedure is the same as mine. I also remove the impeller and thermostat and drain the housings, as well as disconnect any hoses which may contain leftover antifreeze and make sure they are clear. I double check that the trans cooler has drained. Just before the last of my RV antifreeze goes in, I hit the carb with fogging oil. I also remove the plugs to give a shot of the fogging oil into each cylinder.

CantRepeat
11-01-2010, 02:56 PM
I also remove the plugs to give a shot of the fogging oil into each cylinder.

The only thing I did after that was to remove the coil wire and crank the motor for a couple of revolutions.

trapjaw
11-01-2010, 03:11 PM
There are a lot of variations on winterizing. You could spend all day on here using the search function to look up old posts on winterizing.

Your procedure is the same as mine. I also remove the impeller and thermostat and drain the housings, as well as disconnect any hoses which may contain leftover antifreeze and make sure they are clear. I double check that the trans cooler has drained. Just before the last of my RV antifreeze goes in, I hit the carb with fogging oil. I also remove the plugs to give a shot of the fogging oil into each cylinder.

Why do you care if left-over AF stays in some parts of the engine? I almost just left the AF in....but decided to drain the block and manifolds cause i've never used the RV stuff before and was a little worried.
Do you think i should try and get all the AF completely out, or should i be ok? I'm in TX and if it gets below freezing, it's usually only for a few hours at night.

EDIT: Also, i've only had the boat one summer, and never really even looked for the tranny cooler. Where is it located? Is there a separate uptake hose for it further aft of the main engine one?

thatsmrmastercraft
11-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Why do you care if left-over AF stays in some parts of the engine? I almost just left the AF in....but decided to drain the block and manifolds cause i've never used the RV stuff before and was a little worried.
Do you think i should try and get all the AF completely out, or should i be ok? I'm in TX and if it gets below freezing, it's usually only for a few hours at night.

EDIT: Also, i've only had the boat one summer, and never really even looked for the tranny cooler. Where is it located? Is there a separate uptake hose for it further aft of the main engine one?

Your winterization needs are definitely different than mine here in MN. I drain whatever liquid out of the cooling system I can on the off chance there was a pocket where there was more water than antifreeze. With the majority drained out, it lessens the chance of freeze damage due to expansion.

trapjaw
11-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Yeah, you're way up North, so i understand wanting to be dang sure. I think i'm gonna roll with how i have mine done. There may be a little left-over AF in a couple spots, but it shouldn't freeze, and there's room for expansion if it did.
I am curious though about the tranny cooler. Does it use the same supply of water from the water pump? If so, then i should have circulated AF through it as well, cause i ran about 6 gallons through the water pump uptake hose until it was pure AF exiting the exhaust.
There is no thermostat type valve that could have kept the AF from circulating through the tranny cooler is there?

thatsmrmastercraft
11-01-2010, 05:12 PM
The transmission cooler is at the back of the engine in-line with the water intake hose. Follow the two transmission lines to it.

Gravity should let any liquids run out of the cooler. I just move it around a little to make sure.

trapjaw
11-01-2010, 05:50 PM
^Cool, thanks for the info.