PDA

View Full Version : Installing bags on top of hard tanks.

CantRepeat
10-31-2010, 08:01 AM
The hard tanks on my X30 fill from the and have the vent towards the bow. If I put a bag on top of the hard tank which is the correct fill point?

I know that I'll need to fill the tank and then route a house off of the hard tank to the bag that will connect to the lower part of the bag. Should the point on the back be faced towards the rear of the boat with the vent coming off the top of the bag that is towards the bow? Seems like this would be best.

ttu
10-31-2010, 08:59 AM
i did what roonie did to his 07 x2. works great.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25491

CantRepeat
10-31-2010, 09:33 AM
So from looking at his install it looks like you can have the lower fill line and the vent line on the same side of the bag and both appear to be towards the bow.

Is that how you did yours?

And thanks for the link.

TallRedRider
10-31-2010, 02:30 PM
So from looking at his install it looks like you can have the lower fill line and the vent line on the same side of the bag and both appear to be towards the bow.

Is that how you did yours?

And thanks for the link.

That is how I did it on my 45. Works great.

CantRepeat
10-31-2010, 02:32 PM
That is how I did it on my 45. Works great.

How well does the bag empty out while you are still moving forward? It would seem that the water would be pushed towards the back of the boat.

Tlxstar
11-01-2010, 06:30 AM
I installed mine with the fill at the lowest rear point and the vent on the top toward the bow. It seemed like this would help with the draining. Never had an issue.

CantRepeat
11-01-2010, 07:08 AM
I installed mine with the fill at the lowest rear point and the vent on the top toward the bow. It seemed like this would help with the draining. Never had an issue.

Is the fill port on the bag facing the bow of the boat?

TallRedRider
11-01-2010, 11:56 AM
How well does the bag empty out while you are still moving forward? It would seem that the water would be pushed towards the back of the boat.

Is the fill port on the bag facing the bow of the boat?

Because the hard tank overflow on the 45 (and I think it is like that on most MC's) is at the front of the tank, the fill port then is best placed right close to that on the front of the sack.

I thought that it might have trouble draining the entire sack as well, but surprisingly, there is very little water in there on mine after I drain on a flat surface.

I would beware of using the port on the opposite side of the sack for venting as that the sack can occasionally collapse, creating a vaccuum. Then the hard tank essentially implodes. The Jabsco pumps can create an enormous amount of vaccuum force. Tlstar says he has never had an issue...but I have heard of others who have. The air has to be able to travel through the sack from the overflow to the hard tank...as long as it can do that, then you will be fine.

CantRepeat
11-01-2010, 01:02 PM
I would beware of using the port on the opposite side of the sack for venting as that the sack can occasionally collapse, creating a vaccuum. Then the hard tank essentially implodes. The Jabsco pumps can create an enormous amount of vaccuum force. Tlstar says he has never had an issue...but I have heard of others who have. The air has to be able to travel through the sack from the overflow to the hard tank...as long as it can do that, then you will be fine.

That is a very good point! If the bag collapses to the point that it cuts off air flow from the overflow it can't empty the hard tank. Even if there isn't enough vacuum to implode the hard tank it wont empty.

But, it seems every system I've seen upgraded and even the "kits" they sell seem to be plumb this exact way.

I'm wondering if you keep the vent line short enough that the bag can not collapse on itself would be one way.