PDA

View Full Version : Transmission fluid

gatorguy
10-30-2010, 02:30 PM
I know this has been round and round, and I have searched these forums, the FAQ, my owners manual, asked the first owner of my boat, and the local MC dealer, but I still have not found an answer that satisfied me.

I have never winterized a boat before and I donít want to screw it up. I have a í97 PS205 with the chevy 350 and 1:1 trans.

The question is what is the proper trans fluid to use. The manual said Dexron II 2qt. The MC dealer said they are instructed to use the same oil as they put in the engine, Pennzoil Marine 15W40 Motor Oil. That seems a little strange to me.

The old owner said he canít remember what he put in but thinks it was Dexron. I think I will plan on using the Dexron also, but what I donít want to do is mix oil because I think that would probably be a bad thing. Any ideas on how to tell what was in there before? The dip stick is kind of red, but I guess Iím not confident enough in my powers of fluid discernment to be sure itís Dexron.

Help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Wipe the trans dipstick on a white paper-towel. It will be easy to see if it is trans fluid. The red will be plenty noticeable. If in doubt, fill it with trans fluid, suck it all out and refill it again. Trans fluid is cheap enough. Mixing a little of one with the other wouldn't be the end of the world. They are both lubricants.

Engine Nut
10-30-2010, 07:42 PM
The 1:1 transmission needs to use Dexron III ATF or equivalent. The 15W40 is only used in the ZF Hurth gear reduction transmissions and v-drives.

Bert
10-30-2010, 08:04 PM
The 1:1 transmission needs to use Dexron III ATF or equivalent. The 15W40 is only used in the ZF Hurth gear reduction transmissions and v-drives.

What he said. That is correct information:worthy:

gatorguy
10-30-2010, 09:56 PM
so what is the difference between Dexron II and Dexron III

uncleboo
10-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Dextron III is better/newer/etc. and is suitable for Dextron II applications. Just look on the back of the bottle of any Dextron III ATF fluid and it will show the equivalent applications (i.e. Dextron II, I).

Barefooter92
11-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Same issue here with the same boat. Auto parts store showed me that the Dextron III is compatable with Dextron II transmissions. Dont forget your oil extration pump.

FrankSchwab
11-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Hey EngineNut -
Glad to see you back - haven't seen any posts from you in a long while, and I always appreciated them.

/frank