PDA

View Full Version : New ILMOR pic

Desert eagle
10-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Here is a pic of the new ILMOR in my 2011 X25.http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=358&pictureid=2321

DooSPX
10-28-2010, 10:21 PM
SEXY!!! :D:love:

snork
10-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Is that an oil filter that I see screwed on with the threads down? if so it sure will be a pita to change the filter out

TallRedRider
10-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Is that an oil filter that I see screwed on with the threads down? if so it sure will be a pita to change the filter out

Oil dripping everywhere....

scott023
10-28-2010, 11:34 PM

First thing I picked up too... W T H would they do that?

vision
10-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Maybe it has a catch basin under it like my Tacoma? I hope so.

What about those fittings on the jabsco ballast pumps? They look like a new design.

sully
10-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Found another in this boats gallery.

http://www.waterskis.com/2011-MasterCraft-ProStar-197-p/2011_mastercraft_prostar_197.htm

sand2snow22
10-29-2010, 01:03 AM
Desert, boat pics?

DemolitionMan
10-29-2010, 01:43 AM
Looks pretty good.

bturner2
10-29-2010, 08:52 AM
It looks all business, like something out of a commercial truck.

Kind of disappointing on the engine dress up portion of the program. Stock steel pulleys, painted valve covers and the exhaust manifolds look like they're painted cast iron (hard to tell from the picture). Not even a K&N SS faced air filter. Would have been nice if they would have dressed it up a bit more. It certainly looks like it was built for performance rather than looks. I doubt the MCX boys will be lining up for this one.

Sodar
10-29-2010, 10:13 AM

Kind of disappointing on the engine dress up portion of the program. Stock steel pulleys, painted valve covers and the exhaust manifolds look like they're painted cast iron (hard to tell from the picture). Not even a K&N SS faced air filter. Would have been nice if they would have dressed it up a bit more. It certainly looks like it was built for performance rather than looks. I doubt the MCX boys will be lining up for this one.

X2 . :(

yippikaiyay
10-29-2010, 10:30 AM

During a tour of the MC plant last month, I had a look at some Ilmors - the oil filter did have a collection basin at it's base. And I don't know a thing about inverting an oil filter, but you'd think most of the oil in the filter would be drained by gravity, leaving a small amount to be collected in the basin.
I'll look forward to changing the filter in my new Ilmor someday!http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

scott023
10-29-2010, 10:41 AM

Well stated.

east tx skier
10-29-2010, 10:56 AM
I don't know. That thing looks pretty awesome. Dress up is for the guys that spend too much time in that one aisle at Auto Zone.

jwroblew
10-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Looks like that 197 engine box is wider than an MCX judging on the wear marks on the carpet. Thats what I want, less room in my boat...

CottagerGreg
10-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Why does the engine have to be so fancy? Why you concerned with that? I'd be busy riding behind the boat not looking at the motor like it was broke!

broncotw
10-29-2010, 11:26 AM
I STILL like the MCX..... Has been very reliable for me in two boats now.... Really all the power I need....

TXMC-06X2
10-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Thats a good looking engine. Still cant figure out why they would mount the oil filter that way. Even if there is a collection area, you are still going to have to clean the collection area at some point. Has anyone found out any info on why they did that?

NatesGr8
10-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Here is a pic of the new ILMOR in my 2011 X25.http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=358&pictureid=2321
That thing looks awesome! Who cares about where the oil filter is, a few rags around the base and no problems. Oil always drips no matter how the filter is mounted.

ShawnB
10-29-2010, 11:45 AM
The Ilmor's design is great for the long-term maintenance of the engine. Move the starter, alternator, and oil filter up top for easy access. Guess where those parts are on the MCX? Also, there's a well for the oil filter -- it's not going to spill when you remove it.

DooSPX
10-29-2010, 12:08 PM
I like the simple design... the only thing I do not like is the hugger orange paint of the block/heads/valve covers.
Black or something like that would have looked better IMO.

Craig
10-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Simple and boring looking engine means they spent the right about of time on the things that matter. If it is reliable and performs as well as it is hyped, that is one pretty machine.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Simple and boring looking engine means they spent the right about of time on the things that matter. If it is reliable and performs as well as it is hyped, that is one pretty machine.

Not that I like the orange, but would the engine be better if the paint were black?:D

Craig
10-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Not that I like the orange, but would the engine be better if the paint were black?:D

Would probably add 5-10 hp 8p

Barefooter92
10-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Anyone know the specs on this thing? How about price. You know the stuff that really matters.:rolleyes:

ShawnB
10-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Here's two pics from the tour. The X80 is MASSIVE in person, by the way.

cmw
10-29-2010, 01:41 PM
To this day, not one person has said "let me see the motor" sorry "engine". Good thing too, after 20 years on my engine I know the insides are in top shape, but the wrapper needs work. If I was able to get a new boat with that engine in, you would not be able to wipe the smile off my face. My boat is clean, but not perfect. Whenever I get a free day to do other tasks besides maintenance, we end up on the water. Keep her running right and no one should see the engine, but you.

JDK
10-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Would probably add 5-10 hp 8p

Don't know about that.... but it would be $5-$10 cheaper if it was painted black.

Do 'bulk' the boat mfgs. in general have something against re-locating oil filters to a convenient place in the engine compartment (attached to the boat and not the engine) other than the $30-$40 it would cost?
IMO an oil filter installed upside down in a boat is just plain stupid...... especially where petroleum vapors + heat are a safety concern.

Thrall
10-29-2010, 02:10 PM
R/W pump off to the side and not on the crank snout? Clean install for sure.
Yeah, not as flashy as the MCX, but whatever. I woulda took the less flashy LY6 for the same money if bling was the deciding factor.
How's it run? More snort than the MCX?

corey
10-29-2010, 05:55 PM
The Imor engines have a couple of cool features that are not only going to make working on this engine easier, they should help keep things running longer and better.

1. Remote oil filter with drip tray. No more cutting open an empty jug to catch oil that spills when the oil filter is removed.

2. Top mounted 93 amp Alternator. Less condensation and chance of getting wet should you get water in the bilge.

3. Higher mounted starter, again less chance of getting moisture on the starter.

4. Tranny cooler cools engine oil too.

5. Engine breaker and fuses are top mounted and labeled.

We've only run an X-25 with this engine so I don't have tons of real world data on it but the MV8 pushes the 25 around perfectly fine, even ballasted.

On a side note the 2011 boats have a new strut as well. The strut helps direct water to the prop more efficiently leading to an increased top speed.

cbryan70
10-29-2010, 06:06 PM
strut looks like the bow of a ship smart...

sully
10-29-2010, 06:07 PM
New strut looks good Corey.

1redTA
10-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Mazda use an inverted oil filter on the fb RX-7. It was easy to change and didn't make a mess.

The engine color would be better with some blue thrown in. War Eagle

smsbrett
10-29-2010, 06:10 PM
I remember talking to Parker at the Detroit boat show the season the 300 was released and he said that new strut was a MC exclusive invention which, at the time, was only on the 300. Yeah, supposedly optimizes water flow into the prop for more efficiency. Cool to see it on the other boats too.

Sodar
10-29-2010, 06:13 PM
The Imor engines have a couple of cool features that are not only going to make working on this engine easier, they should help keep things running longer and better.

1. Remote oil filter with drip tray. No more cutting open an empty jug to catch oil that spills when the oil filter is removed.

2. Top mounted 93 amp Alternator. Less condensation and chance of getting wet should you get water in the bilge.

3. Higher mounted starter, again less chance of getting moisture on the starter.

We've only run an X-25 with this engine so I don't have tons of real world data on it but the MV8 pushes the 25 around perfectly fine, even ballasted.

On a side note the 2011 boats have a new strut as well. The strut helps direct water to the prop more efficiently leading to an increased top speed.

Cool Info! Thanks, Corey!

MariStar-Man
10-29-2010, 06:19 PM
W T H would they do that?

They wouldn't...! That's why They are designing engines and you're just buying them...

i hope they have a Salt water version coming out soon. It would go nice in my New CSX220
http://www.waterskis.com/v/vspfiles/photos/2011_MasterCraft_ProStar_197-11.jpg

JDK
10-29-2010, 08:02 PM

Looks like I have yo take back my 'stupid' comment ..... about this engine anyways8p

jason95gt
10-29-2010, 09:59 PM
There is a blue engine block available... As a salt water series engine!

MariStar-Man
10-29-2010, 10:18 PM
There is a blue engine block available... As a salt water series engine!

That's Great! I Wonder when they will be available on the "Design a Boat" MasterCraft Website...

kevkan
10-29-2010, 11:50 PM
So, does that super handy oil filter drain basin have a drain line to route through the the bilge drain hole? Will both the main drain line and the filter drain line fit through the hole? Does the filter line have plug on the end, to prevent the last drops from ending up in the bilge? Why not just invert the filter mount?

chunter
10-30-2010, 12:46 AM
Is it me or is the oil filter just a re labeled Fram? that would go in a second.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-30-2010, 01:09 AM

Thanks for the great pics and info Corey. Haven't seen or heard from you for a while. I guess I need to stop over on your side of town one of these days.

cbryan70
10-30-2010, 01:53 AM
i cant beleive you guys like putting a plastic bag under the oil filter and cramming underneith to change the filter...this seems logical to me? it has the basin and im going ot guess most the oil will be out of the filter when you are changing it....gravity usually has that efffect. and to the people that thing this motor is not classy enough......your not in the right water sport go get a race boat or cig boat if you want the flashy motors IMO.......all that should matter on these motors is how they perform....who the **** cares how they look

cbryan70
10-30-2010, 01:57 AM
cam...dont worrie im SURE a NO STEP will stick to the block

MariStar-Man
10-30-2010, 02:33 AM

At least with Orange, One can see the leaks easier...

i'm really impressed that the Alternator and starter have been raised to avoid water intrusion. It sounds like a Marine engine as opposed to a re-designed V8

Is that Clear plastic on lower left an intake filter?
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=62627&stc=1&d=1288327398

scott023
10-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Nevermind... I refuse to fight a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent.

smsbrett
10-30-2010, 10:13 AM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=62627&stc=1&d=1288327398

It sure looks like the intake filter on my 2010 X2.

carracer
10-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Only time will tell if Ilmor engines will be as durable as the Indmar has proven to be. These engines look must cleaner to me with several good engineering changes that are just practical. Ilmor Honda engines have done really well in Indycar racing so I expect them to perform well.The kicker for me is the amount of B.S. that Nascar and its fans have recieved on this site your new engine is being built in the middle of Nascar country right next door to Penske Racing in Mooresville NC. ( go figure)

bturner2
10-30-2010, 12:13 PM
As stated above several of the changes on the surface certainly make perfect sense and I believe PCM has their oil filters remotely mount at the top of the engine on all their models. One has to wonder if some of the other changes which seem to be so logical and simple and provide such an advantage, then why hadn't other marine engine companies implemented these features into their products? Just complacent? Don't know. I also wonder about parts availability and pricing. With limited production parts runs usually comes higher replacement parts pricing.

I seen several high profile engine builders (Holman Moody comes quickly to mind) come and go from the marine engine market. Seems like we always end up back with the PCM and Indmar for some reason. Having a new vendor in the market place is always welcome. It should be interesting to see how the new products stand up to the test of time.

Anyone know why MC engaged Ilmor? Seems to me it would have been easier to go with PCM for additional engines or just tell Indmar to come out with a hotter engine package if that's what they were looking for.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-30-2010, 12:44 PM

i'm really impressed that the Alternator and starter have been raised to avoid water intrusion. It sounds like a Marine engine as opposed to a re-designed V8

I'm with you on the pretty engine thing. I was just giving Craig a hard time about companies spending too much time and money on pretty and not enough on hp and durability.

I haven't finished with making my engine as pretty as can be yet, but have had plenty of compliments when I lift the engine cover. Most of the guys I know are engine guys to some level, so a boat that sounds as great as a Mastercraft is just a magnet for them to want to look under the hood.:cool:

carracer
10-30-2010, 12:45 PM
As stated above several of the changes on the surface certainly make perfect sense and I believe PCM has their oil filters remotely mount at the top of the engine on all their models. One has to wonder if some of the other changes which seem to be so logical and simple and provide such an advantage, then why hadn't other marine engine companies implemented these features into their products? Just complacent? Don't know. I also wonder about parts availability and pricing. With limited production parts runs usually comes higher replacement parts pricing.

I seen several high profile engine builders (Holman Moody comes quickly to mind) come and go from the marine engine market. Seems like we always end up back with the PCM and Indmar for some reason. Having a new vendor in the market place is always welcome. It should be interesting to see how the new products stand up to the test of time.

Anyone know why MC engaged Ilmor? Seems to me it would have been easier to go with PCM for additional engines or just tell Indmar to come out with a hotter engine package if that's what they were looking for.

To my knowlege this is exclusive to Mastercraft and that means and advertising/marketing separation from other less exspensive tow boats that use the same engine package as M.C.

east tx skier
10-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Penske is the answer. Also might be a method of getting Indmar to be a bit more competitive on it's pricing. That last part is just a hunch.

MariStar-Man
10-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Penske is the answer. Also might be a method of getting Indmar to be a bit more competitive on it's pricing. That last part is just a hunch.

I beleive that as well... (Competition)

On a side note East tx, you have one of the most beautiful engines I have seen...I comented on it and posted a picture on my Chronicles not knowing it was yours...

captain planet
11-02-2010, 02:03 PM

X2 . :(

Well stated.

Really???? My 98 Anniversary LT-1 looks pretty all painted blue to match the carpet.....but the only time the engine cover is up is for a few seconds to put the plug in, check the oil, and at the end of the day to let it dry out. I hardly ever really get to look at my engine, I don't see the big deal.

Jim@BAWS
11-02-2010, 02:10 PM

ILMOR is more expensive than INDMAR

captain planet
11-02-2010, 02:11 PM

They are owned by the same parent company. Plus do some research on the Indmar L-18 and you'll see why Ilmor is around.

BUSSTUFJ
11-02-2010, 03:24 PM
I had top mounted filters on my Mercruisers, you just knock a few holes in the top of the filter before you remove it and in a few seconds the oil drains out to the block/pan. No muss, no fuss. I like the easy access.

The engine looks like great. Real question is how does it perform and how durable is it. I like it and I really like that strut modification.

east tx skier
11-02-2010, 03:38 PM
ILMOR is more expensive than INDMAR

By how much? Are the engines comparably spec'd or are there hp gains from going with the Ilmor? If there are, and paying for power becomes a trend, then Indmar still might have incentive to cut prices to compete. Maybe not.

I'll keep my Penske answer out there.

/prop

sand2snow22
11-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Spec's have been hit or miss, but the specs I saw in a catalog at my dealer, they were close, but Ilmor having less HP. IIRC they had a bit more torque in some instances. After a buddy water tested a X15 with the 5.7 Ilmor, it was noted that it was slower out of the hole than a comparable Indmar engine and they were looking into trying a different prop.

My guess is Ilmor was in the works when Penske owned the company. Now that he doesn't anymore, they're still providing another option.

MariStar-Man
11-02-2010, 03:55 PM
you just knock a few holes in the top of the filter No muss, no fuss.

What a Great Idea...Is there a tool you use for this, or hammer and a large nail? And, would it be better to hit it near the edges or dead center...

broncotw
11-02-2010, 04:43 PM
The question has been asked and NOT answered.... How much more money are the Ilmor engines? Do they put out a significant more amount of HP as opposed to the Indmars? I have had several Indmar engines and never a problem.... Really do not see why MC changed....

scott023
11-02-2010, 04:48 PM
The question has been asked and NOT answered.... How much more money are the Ilmor engines? Do they put out a significant more amount of HP as opposed to the Indmars? I have had several Indmar engines and never a problem.... Really do not see why MC changed....

I can't remember exact #'s, but from what I saw, all of the Ilmors have LESS power than the Indmar's. There is a bit of a torque increase on a few of the Ilmor motors though.

thatsmrmastercraft
11-02-2010, 04:56 PM
If a guy wants to make the Ilmor pretty, it would be simple to add some valve covers and pulleys. Just sayin........

ShawnB
11-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Here's what I was quoted on the X25:

(edit: all MSRP)

Indmar
RTP: 0 (included in base)
MCX: 2820
L96: 7180

Ilmor
5.7: 3350
6.0: 7950
6.2: 12,270

I have no info on the power numbers on these engines.

TX.X-30 fan
11-02-2010, 05:24 PM
12,000????????????? really.

thatsmrmastercraft
11-02-2010, 05:34 PM

Thats enough to make your hair stand up.

scott023
11-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Holy shnikes.

east tx skier
11-02-2010, 06:27 PM
For 12K, you could go Diesel.

bobx1
11-02-2010, 07:02 PM

........or SAN

TallRedRider
11-02-2010, 07:13 PM

The 8.1L used to be a 14K upgrade. It still adds like 9K in value to a 2006 model over the standard engine.
And I thought that the diesel upgrade was more like 25K. Isn't that true?

sand2snow22
11-02-2010, 07:33 PM
It still adds like 9K in value to a 2006 model over the standard engine.

In your mind or book value? Book value means nothing to me. :D

ShawnB
11-02-2010, 07:50 PM
If you want to go crazy, get the LSA in the XStar. For 20k you can have this sweet, sweet sound when at full throttle... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE_70Qn2eNo

TX.X-30 fan
11-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Thats enough to make your hair stand up.

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

TallRedRider
11-02-2010, 08:15 PM
In your mind or book value? Book value means nothing to me. :D

In my mind mostly...:o;)

But also in the mind of NADA, which sort of dictates how much you can get a loan for, so I guess in the banker's minds too. So I think that makes you out of step with me and the bankers.

vision
11-02-2010, 08:17 PM
If you want to go crazy, get the LSA in the XStar. For 20k you can have this sweet, sweet sound when at full throttle... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE_70Qn2eNo

I know that sound.... It is the sound of $50/hr flying out of my wallet and into the gas pump.

TX.X-30 fan
11-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Those NADA and the like are good starting points but far from the bible on price, way expensive options drop like a rock in the used market. And that option in particular would not take much of a salesman to steer a buyer away from.

vision
11-02-2010, 08:25 PM

A good Yanmar would work well. Or for significantly less put a supercharger on an MCX.

BIGBADBLUE
11-15-2010, 05:57 PM

That is the water intake screen on lower left correct? It should have a seacock underneath to shut off water supply. This will make winterization even easier. Shut off value, open the screen, poor in anti-freek while engine running. No fake-a-lake needed. Also easier to check screen.

CantRepeat
11-16-2010, 08:51 AM
I was thinking batteries and solar power would be the next big thing for MCs.

JimN
11-16-2010, 09:32 AM
That is the water intake screen on lower left correct? It should have a seacock underneath to shut off water supply. This will make winterization even easier. Shut off value, open the screen, poor in anti-freek while engine running. No fake-a-lake needed. Also easier to check screen.

There's no way to pour anti-freeze into that housing fast enough without spilling and sloshing it all over the bilge. Winterizing isn't difficult- the only thing easier would be to have someone else do it and Fake-A-Lake doesn't work when the bunk is covering the raw water pickup.

BIGBADBLUE
11-16-2010, 09:47 AM
There's no way to pour anti-freeze into that housing fast enough without spilling and sloshing it all over the bilge. Winterizing isn't difficult- the only thing easier would be to have someone else do it and Fake-A-Lake doesn't work when the bunk is covering the raw water pickup.

Bummer ... This is how I winterize my generator on my houseboat and it works great. Oh well.

JimN
11-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Bummer ... This is how I winterize my generator on my houseboat and it works great. Oh well.

How fast does that generator pull raw water? I doubt it moves as much/fast as it does on a boat engine.

BIGBADBLUE
11-16-2010, 10:29 AM
How fast does that generator pull raw water? I doubt it moves as much/fast as it does on a boat engine.

That must be the difference. I put a total of 2 gallons in the genterator and it is not difficult to keep up. You fill it up initially and then just keep pouring. Not a face pace at all.

JimN
11-16-2010, 10:57 AM
That must be the difference. I put a total of 2 gallons in the genterator and it is not difficult to keep up. You fill it up initially and then just keep pouring. Not a face pace at all.

These will suck up 5 gallons in about half a minute. If you get it to normal operating temperature and shut it off, you could remove the intake hose from the strainer and connect another one that attaches to a container that's large enough to hold about 5 gallons and re-start. By that time, the engine would heat-soak and the thermostat will be open.

vision
11-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Anyone know the required flow rate for the raw water screen/filter on a 5.7? I want to add clear raw water screen/filter to my MCX. I like the idea of being able to see the water flow or trapped junk versus checking the screen in the transmission cooler.

BIGBADBLUE
11-16-2010, 12:01 PM
These will suck up 5 gallons in about half a minute. If you get it to normal operating temperature and shut it off, you could remove the intake hose from the strainer and connect another one that attaches to a container that's large enough to hold about 5 gallons and re-start. By that time, the engine would heat-soak and the thermostat will be open.

Thanks Jim. That is a much faster flow rate than my generator. It takes 30-40 second just to take 1.5 - 2.0 gallons that I pour.

Prostar19
11-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Is it me or is the oil filter just a re labeled Fram? that would go in a second.

It is a K&N

Prostar19
11-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Really???? My 98 Anniversary LT-1 looks pretty all painted blue to match the carpet.....but the only time the engine cover is up is for a few seconds to put the plug in, check the oil, and at the end of the day to let it dry out. I hardly ever really get to look at my engine, I don't see the big deal.

Agreed when do you ever see the pullies on a Vdrive?????

Prostar19
11-16-2010, 12:08 PM

Try $25K for a diesel. Remember that was MSRP pricing and I hope you dont pay MSRP:rolleyes:

Timbo126
11-16-2010, 02:49 PM

I have a CSX 265 with two 6.0L motors in it. To winterize them I pour the antifreeze in the strainer and it works fine. I can't get to the bottom of the boat since we leave it on the lift and shirnk wrap it. I don't own a trailer for it either and the raw water hose that goes to the fitting in the hull is sealed on to the fitting as well as hose clamps. I just close the seack **** on the raw water intake which is under the strainer then. I pull the clear lid off the strainer. Fill the strainer up to the top with antifreeze. Then have someone start the motor and right when the motor starts, start pouring the anti freeze in to the strainer. It worked great when I did and I had no problem keeping up with the motor intake.