PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Maryland Legislation against Ballast ??

KHall
10-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Has anyone heard about this.

http://wakeboardpittsburgh.com/maryland-is-trying-to-outlaw-wakeboarding/

Sounds like Maryland DNR is looking hard at banning extra ballast in wakeboard boats in waterways less than 800 yards. I have even read elsewhere that this could happen prior to the next boating season. :(

Seems to be very unfair. Whats to stop the cabin cruisers from throwing huge wakes?

Also seems like all DNR has to do is enforce the existing legislation about:

"You are responsible for your own wake."

That's enough right there. Maybe even focus on "Posted Coast Guard weight limits"

If true this is not good news for my preferred activity.

TX.X-30 fan
10-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Not good for sure but definitely the trend, it seems it would be impossible to enforce the weight issue, but if they could any boat loaded with ballast and people would surely be over. We have big cruisers here too and the wakes are giant, but the idiots in power have no clue.

Jerseydave
10-28-2010, 11:25 PM
The boating public needs to fight this, but more importantly the NMMA and the boat manufacturers need to fight it too since it's their future at stake.

This reminds me of when NJ tried to impose a 35 mph speed limit on ALL waterways in NJ, mostly because waterfront homeowners and sailboaters wanted it. It was fought tooth and nail and was dismissed. Same thing needs to be done here. If it passes in MD, it could spread to other nearby states as well.

coz
10-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Not good for sure but definitely the trend, it seems it would be impossible to enforce the weight issue, but if they could any boat loaded with ballast and people would surely be over..

One of these days the LEO's are going to wise to this and start busting people for exceeding maximum capacities.