PDA

View Full Version : freeze warning

ttu
10-28-2010, 10:35 AM
need some advice. boat is located up by the lake in indoor storage. this weekend they are calling for lows around 29-30 and highs in the upper 60's lower 70's. i have not drained the block yet. do you guys think it will be alright. was planning on winterize the following weekend.

here is pic of the storage.

thanks.

east tx skier
10-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Theoretically, you should be fine. The dip below 32 will not be long enough (most likely) to crack the block and you will have a bit of insulation on top of that. The water pump is a little thinner, but if I were to bet, I'd say you'll be fine.

If it's me, I'm getting up there to drain it. That's just me, the guy with the boat in his garage. Easy for me to say.

willyt
10-28-2010, 10:59 AM
winterize? noooo. Just drain the block, and you'll be good to go for awhille yet, especially if your highs are in the 70's.

I'm sure if its inside and covered the cold will take ALONG time to get to it. had a freeze warning here in cincinnati this past weekend, my boat is semi-inside and i didnt have the block drained, i was absolutely fine.

If you have a heater, that'll be the first thing to go

JimN
10-28-2010, 11:13 AM
need some advice. boat is located up by the lake in indoor storage. this weekend they are calling for lows around 29-30 and highs in the upper 60's lower 70's. i have not drained the block yet. do you guys think it will be alright. was planning on winterize the following weekend.

here is pic of the storage.

thanks.

Even if it hits 25, the temperature inside the storage unit will never get that low because the floor will radiate whatever it can. Also, the hull and motor box will help slow the heat loss.

east tx skier
10-28-2010, 11:17 AM
If you have a heater, that'll be the first thing to go

Those things eventually go belly up whether they freeze or not.

ttu
10-28-2010, 12:10 PM
thanks for the input so far. here is my problem, my secretary is off today and tomorrow so i am stuck in the office. my daughter has a "play" at school early this evening and son has a football game tomorrow, oh and the boat is a hour away.

the freeze warning is mainly for friday night and then low temps all next week are in the mid to upper 40's.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Even if it hits 25, the temperature inside the storage unit will never get that low because the floor will radiate whatever it can. Also, the hull and motor box will help slow the heat loss.

Jim's right. You will be fine. Weather.com is showing a low of 33 now, and only for one hour. No worries.

#47of100TeamMC
10-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Only an hour away? I would loose more sleep than that laying awake wondering if it was freezing... You could be up and back in less than 2hrs 15min. Make a road trip!

thanks for the input so far. here is my problem, my secretary is off today and tomorrow so i am stuck in the office. my daughter has a "play" at school early this evening and son has a football game tomorrow, oh and the boat is a hour away.

the freeze warning is mainly for friday night and then low temps all next week are in the mid to upper 40's.

Willski
10-28-2010, 01:00 PM
I think you'll be fine. Especially since the boat is inside.

Cloaked
10-28-2010, 05:49 PM
No problems at that temp. Enjoy the daughter's play.

Gamble
10-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Absolutely

Gamble
10-28-2010, 07:30 PM
ABSOLUTELY no worries..........it'll be just fine. You'll have more of a risk to yourself driving on the roads to mess with it than your boat ever will with those temps.

rhsprostar
10-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Can you ask someone to leave the lights in the storage place on? Will generate some extra heat to keep it above the 32 mark.
Just a thought....

east tx skier
10-28-2010, 09:39 PM
ABSOLUTELY no worries..........it'll be just fine. You'll have more of a risk to yourself driving on the roads to mess with it than your boat ever will with those temps.

Gamble has just agreed to insure you for any loss that may occur due to freezing temps. ;). Sleep well.

Willski
10-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Gamble has just agreed to insure you for any loss that may occur due to freezing temps. ;). Sleep well.

I was going to say don't worry about it, but don't send me a bill, but I didn't want to scare him!! Although, I don't think there is much worry about an isolated overnight low. Especially inside a building.

ttu
10-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Can you ask someone to leave the lights in the storage place on? Will generate some extra heat to keep it above the 32 mark.
Just a thought....

each unit has it's own lock:mad: eastie, i do miss keeping the boat in the garage. problem is when i "had" my 22 ft supra i got tired to trying to put it in a 18 ft garage, hence the storage up at the lake.

anyway just got back from daughter's play. no way can i get up there tomorrow. 2 hour drive each way for son's football game after work.

i did call a couple other guys who keep their inboards up there. they have not winterized yet either but think things should be oksy. the ceiling in the unit does have insulation:rolleyes:

worse case the kids college savings funds may be a little less:D

thanks for the input. hopefully i can sleep alright.

east tx skier
10-29-2010, 10:46 AM
I was going to say don't worry about it, but don't send me a bill, but I didn't want to scare him!! Although, I don't think there is much worry about an isolated overnight low. Especially inside a building.

There's not. But there's also the fine print that comes with that assurance. ;)

east tx skier
10-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Really, I'm sure it'll be fine. 8p

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=29575&stc=1&d=1196546760

CantRepeat
10-29-2010, 10:59 AM
I'd still drain the block, would take you 15 minutes and if you have an outlet there I'd plug up a drop light with a 40w bulb and put it under the motor.

That's just me but I don't have 5k to toss at a new motor.

ttu
10-29-2010, 11:04 AM
thanks eastie! that make me feel so much better:rolleyes:

there was some frost this morning on the grass. only got below freezing for a couple of hours. suppose to be high 60's today.

east tx skier
10-29-2010, 11:09 AM
thanks eastie! that make me feel so much better:rolleyes:

there was some frost this morning on the grass. only got below freezing for a couple of hours. suppose to be high 60's today.

Glad I could help. At home with some sort of stomach bug today. I needed the entertainment.