PDA

View Full Version : Mellowing the wake

98InTheHole
10-28-2010, 02:34 AM
Most of the people that go out on my 2010 X45 are beginner wakeboard riders, and as such are very intimidated by the huge wake the boat creates, We run all ballasts empty, and have played with the trim tab, setting it to about 30% down seems to work best.

I know that if I get to 25MPH the wake extends a bit and totally clears up, making it look great, but my 14 year old girl won't even look at water going so fast, let alone ride on it, even the adults I pull (all beginners) ride at 19-20MPH tops, which still leaves a huge wake with a very defined lip. This I'm sure will be great when we get better, but for now, I would like it to be more mellow.

A friend of mine has a Malibu 247, the wake it produces at 19-20MPH is super beginner-friendly, it is much smaller and doesn't have a scary lip, sliding on top of the wave is extremely easy, compared to the almost-assured-eye-opener-face-plant-MC-wave experience.

So here's the question, during our "beginner" phase, how can I mellow out the wake?

Holman J.B.F
10-28-2010, 02:50 AM
i asume you have the ballast tanks empty,..the only thing wat,s left is let the people sit up front or at least not on the backseat.use a shorter rope when you have whitewash problems.
it has been a while when i drove the 45 so i might be wrong,but you could give it a try.

98InTheHole
10-28-2010, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. I do have the ballasts empty, I also tried sitting people in the front as I read that somewhere, didn't do much, I also tried filling up the KGB ballast 50% and 100%, but that just made it worse.
The problem with a very short rope is that although you do ride in a cleaner wake, the wake itself is very high at that point, and also when doing small jumps, it feels as if you are jumping into the "rooster tail", which is also very discouraging.

Any other ideas?

willyt
10-28-2010, 09:45 AM
smaller wake? me no understand. I load the X2 with 3k of ballast

Try putting some lead in the bow (behind the 2 front seats), KGB empty, driver, observer, 1/2 tank of fuel, 60ft rope, trim tab at that setting.

broncotw
10-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Buy a less aggressive MasterCraft... One that is more skier friendly....

Thrall
10-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Buy a Malibu! Seriously. At beginner speeds, the wake is going to be knee high at least on our boats. My buddy has a 23LSV Malibu and there is NO wake at 20-22mph, it's pathetic! (But good if you want a wakeboard boat with no wakeboard wake!)
You bought an X45, it's what you get.......be like buying a Corvette and asking how too make it slower!

vision
10-28-2010, 12:02 PM
As stated, add some weight to the bow as this will mellow the lip and make the wake less steep, although not truly smaller.

Turn towards the rider slightly as they are approaching the wake. We do this for our beginners as it both decreases the lip but also makes the wake smaller.

98InTheHole
10-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I love my X45 and would not trade it for anything else. I know soon enough we'll be good enough to enjoy the MC wake at it fullest. I was just wondering if there's anything that can help now.

The turning into the rider side tip is a good one, I'll try that next time, I'm sure that'll help.

Holman J.B.F
10-28-2010, 01:43 PM
it might be wise to take some lessons.progressive egde and go w2w.A stock x45 wake isn,t that big (to me)learn the right technique and you,ll be buying fatsacks soon..;)

BGcraft
10-28-2010, 01:58 PM
...learn the right technique and the boat/wake doesn't matter.

One could go so far as to say MC has done a truly masterful job of selling/mktg "wakes".

Good for all of us in some ironical way.

Happy winter guys.

BG

98InTheHole
10-28-2010, 02:39 PM
I will be taking some lessons, I've only been wakeboarding for a month and I'm close to going w2w. I can definitely appreciate how the wake will be totally awesome once I know what to do with it, and I can't wait :-)
I already have fatsacs, which we only use for wakesurfing so far, but hopefully soon the day will come when I'll want more :-)

Splash
10-28-2010, 03:39 PM
I wish I had your problem.

I offer you my X1 for your X45 untill you learn. Once you can handle the X45 wake we trade back!!!

... And all this for FREE!!!!

:D:D:D

sorry, I couldn't resist... ;)

TallRedRider
10-28-2010, 04:03 PM
The boat does not do so well for beginner/kid wakes as you noticed.

I think that with the rope pretty short, you are not going to be in the rooster tail, especially if you are going 20 MPH. So a shorter rope is going to help a lot, because at slow speeds the wave curls over the further away from the boat you get.

I was surprised by your comment on the wakeplate. I find it best to put all the way down for begginners.

As you noticed, I think you are going to have to speed up regardless of skill level.

mpabreo
10-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Interesting problem you have there. Put the rope length at 55', run with as little gas as you can, 18-20mph, and like Red just said, drop the plate all the way down. Thats about as mellow as you're gonna get it.

I practically learned on my 45's wake, and it just takes nuts to hit it and get the basic fundamentals of w2w down.

Remember, if you're not falling, you're not trying :D

nmcjr
10-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Another thought is that if they are really beginners and just want to work on edging/sliding etc, you can actually go longer with the rope--even 85 feet. This will give a very wide area between the wakes to get more comfortable edging back and forth. Then, still at a longer length they can also work on edging across the wake at slower speeds (~15 or so). Granted, it will be white wash, but that's OK, it will also be smaller at low speeds that far back. Then, once they are good with board control and proper edging you can speed up the boat and bring them in shorter. With proper fundamentals in place I would think your wake will be fine for even a beginner. I think riders too often try to go straight to jumping the wake and it builds bad habits (myself included) whereas if they spend more time on proper edging and body position without worrying about the wake they will actually progress faster. If you haven't seen it yet, check out "The Book" DVD's or even better learnwake.com. He has a lot of good foundational drills on there that will really speed up progression for your whole crew.