PDA

View Full Version : Monster Tower Cargo Bimini

Kathy and Chris
10-27-2010, 03:40 PM
I'd like to hear your experiences with and opinions on the Monster Tower Cargo Bimini. I'm considering purchasing one.

I have a '94 PS 205. A Monster tower came with the boat. (It's the MT1, I believe.) I have one wakeboard rack (non-pivoting), one ski rack, and zero speakers on the tower.

My main goal is to provide shade from the summer sun. The presumed storage on top of the cargo bimini would get used occasionally.

After measuring my tower per Monster's instructions, they recommend getting the small size bimini, which is only 48" wide. After mounting, the hight of the small bimini would be about 5' (give or take a couple inches) above/from the floor of the boat. Does a 48"-wide bimini provide a worthwhile amount of shade? The medium size bimini, at 60" wide, would shade more but would be mounted a foot or so lower. How low is too low for a bimini?

I have to lower the tower to park the boat in its garage stall. To do so, the front legs of this tower fold in, so the bimini would have to be completely removed, I believe. Is it a PITA for one man to remove (and re-install) the cargo binimi?

I use a boat ramp that is 6 miles from home, and about 4 of those miles are on a 55 mph stretch of busy road. Can I trailer to the ramp this short distance (at 45-55 mph) with the bimini installed and without the bimini un-installing itself?

Are there any other issues with this cargo bimini?

Thanks in advance!
K&C

Ole Miss Rebels
10-27-2010, 04:41 PM
i didn't know monster made a cargo bimini. good for them. i have the Z5 and love it. we are talking about two different companies aren't we?

jasonba1
10-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Ive got the monster but I have the larger one and absolutly love it espically for the price comapred to a z5, not sure how much the small one would cover though

Double D
10-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Kathy and Chris,

Except for the boat colors, does this first picture look similar? This is the first time I have seen the same boat, with the same tower, mounted in the same exact place as mine. IMO, its the only way the tower looks good.

I purchased the MT (which is now the MT1) in 2003 since I got it for $999. I have added the board racks and mirror from MT, but when it came to the speakers and the Bimini the pricing from Monster was just that, Monstrous, way to expensive.

The speakers are the same Polk speakers I got at H2Osportswarehouse on EBAY for $166 and I got the Polyester Bimini (not sunbrella material) for $195 from a supply company on EBAY. Obviously this doesn't answer your question about the Cargo Bimini, but $599 is a heck of a lot of money and I thought $525 was bad for a standard Bimini similar to mine.

I was able to go with the medium width Bimini (59") and the clear under the highest point (above the pylon) is 5'-0". I am 6'-3" and I have to bend over pretty good. I would hate to go lower.

The bimini is back a few inches more than my tastes but it works. I was hauling kids around on a ski party from 10 AM to 6 PM on a hot and sunny day and never got burnt or felt overly hot.

Mounting is only on the back posts and it folds right up to the main cross bar so there is no reason to remove it when the tower gets folded down, and I keep it strapped up when I trailer it.

Not sure if this helps at all but let me know if you have any additional questions.

dpolen
10-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Not sure if this helps, but here's a pic of my monster tower with the aftermarket bimini I installed. I'm not sure if I have any pics with the thing opened up, but like Double D, the prices from Monster were spendy. I'm loving my setup.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/dpolen/Mastercraft/IMG_5220.jpg
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_6Q2EGJW9P4I/TKJb5AvSjWI/AAAAAAAAEko/i-e2xZEU4mg/s144/DSCF0029.jpg

ahhudgins
10-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Jasonba1 posted some pics of a tower on his Supra. Not sure if it's the same tower or not

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38316&page=2

jasonba1
10-27-2010, 09:39 PM
no its not the same tower that is a new dimension tower on the supra I have a monster bimini on my pro star as well and its a mts tower let me see if can find some pics of it as well

etduc
10-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I'd like to hear your experiences with and opinions on the Monster Tower Cargo Bimini. I'm considering purchasing one.

I have a '94 PS 205. A Monster tower came with the boat. (It's the MT1, I believe.) I have one wakeboard rack (non-pivoting), one ski rack, and zero speakers on the tower.

My main goal is to provide shade from the summer sun. The presumed storage on top of the cargo bimini would get used occasionally.

After measuring my tower per Monster's instructions, they recommend getting the small size bimini, which is only 48" wide. After mounting, the hight of the small bimini would be about 5' (give or take a couple inches) above/from the floor of the boat. Does a 48"-wide bimini provide a worthwhile amount of shade? The medium size bimini, at 60" wide, would shade more but would be mounted a foot or so lower. How low is too low for a bimini?

I have to lower the tower to park the boat in its garage stall. To do so, the front legs of this tower fold in, so the bimini would have to be completely removed, I believe. Is it a PITA for one man to remove (and re-install) the cargo binimi?

I use a boat ramp that is 6 miles from home, and about 4 of those miles are on a 55 mph stretch of busy road. Can I trailer to the ramp this short distance (at 45-55 mph) with the bimini installed and without the bimini un-installing itself?

Are there any other issues with this cargo bimini?

Thanks in advance!
K&C

I own a 94 205. I installed the medium Monster Cargo, on a DIY tower. If I get time, tommorrow, I'll take some pictures and measurements for. You can make a cardboard cut out, and do a mock up.

Takes about 5 minutes to remove. I have test towed at 50 mph, no problem. If you're only towing 6 miles. Slow down to 50 mph, leave it up. I tow a couple of hours, so I strap mine down to the boat, and tow at 70.

Cool thing about Monster, if you don't like it, you can send it back.

Kathy and Chris
10-28-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks, all. What I'm gathering so far is a wider bimini is preferred.

I own a 94 205. I installed the medium Monster Cargo, on a DIY tower. If I get time, tommorrow, I'll take some pictures and measurements for. You can make a cardboard cut out, and do a mock up.

Takes about 5 minutes to remove. I have test towed at 50 mph, no problem. If you're only towing 6 miles. Slow down to 50 mph, leave it up. I tow a couple of hours, so I strap mine down to the boat, and tow at 70.

Cool thing about Monster, if you don't like it, you can send it back.

etduc, thanks for the good info.

Ive got the monster but I have the larger one and absolutly love it espically for the price comapred to a z5, not sure how much the small one would cover though

Jasonba1 posted some pics of a tower on his Supra. Not sure if it's the same tower or not

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38316&page=2

jasonba1, so that's a 60"-wide cargo bimini on your Supra pictured in the "mocha interior" thread? The '94 205 is 85" wide. About how wide is your Supra?

I was able to go with the medium width Bimini (59") and the clear under the highest point (above the pylon) is 5'-0". I am 6'-3" and I have to bend over pretty good. I would hate to go lower.

The bimini is back a few inches more than my tastes but it works. I was hauling kids around on a ski party from 10 AM to 6 PM on a hot and sunny day and never got burnt or felt overly hot.

Mounting is only on the back posts and it folds right up to the main cross bar so there is no reason to remove it when the tower gets folded down, and I keep it strapped up when I trailer it.

Not sure if this helps at all but let me know if you have any additional questions.

Double D, thanks for the good information. Our towers do appear identical. Does your bimini interfere at all with the removal/replacement of skis and boards from the racks?

Not sure if this helps, but here's a pic of my monster tower with the aftermarket bimini I installed. I'm not sure if I have any pics with the thing opened up, but like Double D, the prices from Monster were spendy. I'm loving my setup.

dpolen, that looks like a no-drill mount on the front legs only, correct? Is your bimini easily removed to lower the tower?

I agree with OMR -- the Z5 is nice. But like the medium size MT cargo bimini, I didn't think the narrow width of the MT1's front legs would allow for the Z5 to be mounted at a reasonable height. And then there's the Z5's price.

Double D
10-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Double D, thanks for the good information. Our towers do appear identical. Does your bimini interfere at all with the removal/replacement of skis and boards from the racks?

I guess you could say that it is a bit harder to get the boards out but not that bad. I am typically standing by the motor cover anyway so it would only make the strapping down of the boards a bit harder.

How long have you had your boat? Buy it from someone in your area?

dmminfla
10-28-2010, 08:47 AM
I mounted a 67 inch wide bimini inside of the windshield on my 97 205. I can drop the bimini without droping the tower or drop the tower without droping the bimini. It gives alot more coverage than the one Monster sells. Here in south Florida it ia a must have.

etduc
10-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Height at back to bimini is 59" from deck. This is 9" higher, than the old bimini, that came on the boat. The front mounting fixtures are 66", center to center. It will tilt all the way down. ON Monster tower, this would be more critical. I didn't want to go any higher, which would be more of an issue with vdrives. It is solidly mounted. So... when the wife hits her head, she feels it, were the old style bimini has more give.

The bimini is actually made by, GreatLakes Canvas. Canvas is very high quality. I measured, alot before ordering. Questions?

Double D
10-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Height at back to bimini is 59" from deck. This is 9" higher, than the old bimini, that came on the boat. The front mounting fixtures are 66", center to center. It will tilt all the way down. ON Monster tower, this would be more critical. I didn't want to go any higher, which would be more of an issue with vdrives. It is solidly mounted. So... when the wife hits her head, she feels it, were the old style bimini has more give.

The bimini is actually made by, GreatLakes Canvas. Canvas is very high quality. I measured, alot before ordering. Questions?

Nice set up and nice look. However, with that tower (not the MT) you are able to get more clear space that allows the bimini to be wider. The MT posts slope in as they go up.

etduc
10-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Nice set up and nice look. However, with that tower (not the MT) you are able to get more clear space that allows the bimini to be wider. The MT posts slope in as they go up.

Agreed on the difference, with the MT tower. Distance between the front post(mine) 59 inches off the floor, inside dimension is, 64".

That's why, I recommend making a mock-up. Two piece of scrape pvc and cardboard, and duct tape. The swing down is nice, but I didn't buy for that reason.(Yes, mine swings down to the motor box.) Mounting and dismounting bimini, was critical, for me, for traveling.

In my case, spot on. I can go from stored back of boat, to mounted on tower, less than 30 seconds. Takes longer, if the wife helps. 8p

One thing to consider, with the install. In locating the bimini, I wanted maximun sun coverage for the driver. Usually, moi or my wife. So the front of the bimini frame is right over, the windshield. That can be a problem, so measure, measure, measure.

I wanted good access to tower pylon, and didn't want bimini to interfer with the rope.

I do like the length of the bimini 65" Allows good coverage, and decent access to the tower pylon.

After all of this and measuring the final product, the 48" width would not have the coverage.

I'd give up, the swing down utility, for the wider 60" BUT would not mount it below 59"

All of this applies, to my boat. Your mileage, may very.I need to clean my warehouse!

Double D
10-28-2010, 07:43 PM
I need to clean my warehouse!

I layout warehouses for a living. Let me know if you need help with that. :)

coz
10-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Nice tower etduc looks familiar :headbang:

etduc
10-29-2010, 08:42 AM
I layout warehouses for a living. Let me know if you need help with that. :)

How many heating/cooling systems, would like to buy? :D

Double D
10-29-2010, 09:28 AM
How many heating/cooling systems, would like to buy? :D

Thread jack!!

I also know a guy in the HVAC business but he doesn't make it to Texas. Residential or Commercial heating/cooling systems?

etduc
10-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Nice tower etduc looks familiar :headbang:

Yeah, I looked at your boat alot, before pulling the trigger. :cool:

etduc
10-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Thread jack!!

I also know a guy in the HVAC business but he doesn't make it to Texas. Residential or Commercial heating/cooling systems?

Both. Lennox, American Standard, ClimateMaster

Kathy and Chris
10-29-2010, 11:54 AM

Indeed.

If 66" is the minimum distance needed between the tower legs for the 60"-wide medium cargo bimini, the medium bimini on my MT would be roughly 47" from the floor.

If 64" is the minimum distance needed, then roughly 52" from the floor.

No need for a swing-down feature at those heights.

etduc
10-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Indeed.

If 66" is the minimum distance needed between the tower legs for the 60"-wide medium cargo bimini, the medium bimini on my MT would be roughly 47" from the floor.

Use my boat for, getting an idea of fit. At 47", the bottom of the frame, will be even with the bottom of my board rack. On my boat, it would be a real pain, passing thru the windshield to front of boat.

If 64" is the minimum distance needed, then roughly 52" from the floor.
No need for a swing-down feature at those heights.

66" is minimum, factory mounting point distance center to center(without modification, which will give approx 64" inside. (Bimini frame is exactly 60" outside to outside)

How good are you with tools? The front crossbar, could be shorten about 7/8" each side.
You would absolutely loose the tilt down feature. Beyond that, the frame itself, could be cut to 58-59" and existing canvas should still work.