PDA

View Full Version : New Find: Mastercraft Upholsterer

swatguy
10-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Well came across this site while searching for some ideas on an upholsterer for my 2000 X-Star. Was looking at Copycatcovers vs my local shop and now was referred to this place all just on an internet find for dumb luck. I know a search of Copycat revealed a bad situation here for a member. However, I found numerous decent reviews as of late on other sites. Just trying to get as many options as possible.

I am in no way affiliated with the company. However I think it would be of some use for MC owners here. I have a call in to them and talked with a guy at their shop. They are just getting up and running as a Mastercraft exclusive line. This was their first summer and will be their first winter.

http://mastercraftskins.com/www.mastercraftskins.com/MasterCraftSkins.html

Will keep you all posted

3event
10-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the tip! I'm considering replacement in 2011 , as my '02 PS197 is among those with vinyl cracks around the seams. If the pricing is reasonable I may put a higher priority on this. I will look forward to your future posts.

rhsprostar
10-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Well it's about time. Wonder if it's ligit?

nmcjr
10-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Is the idea that they can provide factory matchng skins for the older boats? I have several skins that are showing some wear, including my engine cover which I replaced 2 years ago with a factory skin, but because it has all those stiches (dumb design IMO) running down the back half it is wearing out again already. I was hoping I could have one made that didn't have that stiching pattern, but have always been concerned there would be no way to match the colors etc. I was almost thinking of selling the boat before all the vinyl wears out, but if this would allow me to match and replace one panel at a time it would be huge for me, so I'm curious as well.

east tx skier
10-29-2010, 10:07 AM
About time somebody stepped into this. CC has had a shop that does replacement skins for some time and are known for quality work. I hope this shop develops a reputation for quality, too. It is much needed for those of us with older boats.

DavidMCX30
10-29-2010, 12:36 PM
I have '02 X30 and was delighted to see my skins on there. Please do let us know what your expeirence is. My seats are getting bad after a great summer of use: ~150 hours

duckguy
10-29-2010, 01:13 PM
I would love to see my Barefoot 200 redone in 2011 diamond stiching/vinyl

lazerhawk
10-30-2010, 08:35 AM
I spoke with these fellas today. They quoted me the same price as Viper ($1200) for all the vinyl in my 96' PS190. They also said that price includes them paying to have the old skins shipped to them for deconstruction, as it's more accurate than using their patterns due to foam variances (i.e. shrinking.)

P.S. Both of these quotes were $100 less than CopyCats.

swatguy
11-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Well after doing some more research I too am going with the guys from Mastercraft Skins. Their quote for me was als less than Copycats.

Once I get them sent out and re-done I will will keep you posted on how it goes

atlfootr
11-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Before you do that ... call Jim!
For the BEST PRICE, BEST QUALITY :D

bjw444
11-14-2010, 03:06 PM
did the price for 1200 include all skins?

Patsfan
11-14-2010, 04:27 PM
If you read all the verbage on there web site they are not conected to the factory. JUST DEALERS!
They won't be any better than a CC type company. If you don't have the boards it's only a matter of time before someone gets a set of covers that don't fit.
I don't get how someone who pays the kind of money that we pay for the best ski boat on the water can try cutting corners and taking a chance on getting second grade covers that don't fit.
You don't buy a Porsche if you don't plan on paying to keep it running!
If you have a quality upholstery shop with in driving distance drive and get the kind of job your boat deserves.

Skipper
11-14-2010, 05:47 PM
If you read all the verbage on there web site they are not conected to the factory. JUST DEALERS!
They won't be any better than a CC type company. If you don't have the boards it's only a matter of time before someone gets a set of covers that don't fit.
I don't get how someone who pays the kind of money that we pay for the best ski boat on the water can try cutting corners and taking a chance on getting second grade covers that don't fit.
If you have a quality upholstery shop with in driving distance drive and get the kind of job your boat deserves.

And what does a quality upholstery shop charge? Altfooter's friend is a few hundred dollars higher than this company Swatguy is going with. Both companies make replacement skins. The owner has to remove the old skins. Jim just needs a picture to match colors. The other guys need the old skins. Either way, when the new skins are made, the owner must install them on the old seats. How much more does it cost to have a quality upholstery shop do that for you? I am asking because I intend to have my '95 reupholstered this winter.

Kyle
11-14-2010, 06:07 PM
This shop is in Weatherford Texas. I have two appointments tomorrow near there. I may stop by and take a look at this shop and get a hands on look at the quality of work. Will keep everyone in the loop about what I find.

Kyle
11-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Well this little shop does awesome work. Jimmy Harvell over at Texas Mastercraft has worked with them and they have been doing work for the dealership for some time now. Their work looks top notch. If I needed new skins I would go here. Anything you want they can do for you.

DooSPX
11-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Kyle, thanks for the heads up! Very cool of you to stop by and look at the work they do. Also, very cool of the owner for letting you look around and scope the work for other MC'ers.

east tx skier
11-15-2010, 07:34 PM
They won't be any better than a CC type company.

Does that mean they'll last for twelve years and counting? Because that's what's in my boat.

/edit. Now I see that you used CC to stand for CopyCat Covers. My mistake. Carry on. :)

There may be slight variations in the finish, but for a period of time, G&T was supplying CC and MC. Things could be different today.

Kyle
11-15-2010, 07:34 PM
The thing is.....If you are not a local and can not bring your boat to their shop you have to ship your skins to them. They will pay for shipping. Another thing is that they suggest that you take your skins after you get them back to have them installed at an upholstery shop. That shop can steam your old foam and bring it back to life and make everyting fit properly. The owner said getting the new skins to mold and fit perfect is not just zip zip and it would look beter if you had a professional install it.

The shop can add piping if you want it to make it look newer. If you want an exact copy of what you currently have that is what they will make you. The shop has a 2 big Mastercraft binders with every color and grain of vinyl that was origionally with the boats and if they cant get the origional form MC then they have hundreds of pieces of vinyl that they can get that will get it as close to origional as possible. Mastercraft supposedly is out of some colors and will not make them anymore. I also asked about embroidery and they are able to do that as well. They also do bimini tops.

http://mastercraftskins.com/www.mastercraftskins.com/MasterCraftSkins.html

east tx skier
11-15-2010, 07:36 PM
And what does a quality upholstery shop charge? Altfooter's friend is a few hundred dollars higher than this company Swatguy is going with. Both companies make replacement skins. The owner has to remove the old skins. Jim just needs a picture to match colors. The other guys need the old skins. Either way, when the new skins are made, the owner must install them on the old seats. How much more does it cost to have a quality upholstery shop do that for you? I am asking because I intend to have my '95 reupholstered this winter.

Probably another $800--$1,200. It isn't cheap. The curvy seats can be tough to get right.

east tx skier
11-15-2010, 07:38 PM

Also, for a good number of us, factory cut skin replacements is not an option. I can't remember if it's 6 or 8 years at this point before they say no more.

Kyle
11-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Also, for a good number of us, factory cut skin replacements is not an option. I can't remember if it's 6 or 8 years at this point before they say no more.

This is the reason that they can get the embroidery done. If the manufacture will not make the product anymore then they can not be mad at someone who wants something origional and it is not available for purchase. I guess if the copyright was that big of a deal then the skins and the templates would still be available for purchase form either the manufacturing plant or at the dealers. I was told that if the boat skins are still being made by Mastercraft and sold at the dealers then the embroidery would not be available. If your boat is older than 5 years old and skins are no longer available then embroidery was an option.

Kyle
11-15-2010, 07:45 PM

Another reason why MC does not carry them anymore is that they will shrink over time. If you were able to purchase skins that have been sitting on the shelf for a year or two then when you took them to get installed nothing would fit. Kind of like putting an extra small shirt on a rather large person. Its just not going to work right.

east tx skier
11-16-2010, 02:37 PM
This is the reason that they can get the embroidery done. If the manufacture will not make the product anymore then they can not be mad at someone who wants something origional and it is not available for purchase. I guess if the copyright was that big of a deal then the skins and the templates would still be available for purchase form either the manufacturing plant or at the dealers. I was told that if the boat skins are still being made by Mastercraft and sold at the dealers then the embroidery would not be available. If your boat is older than 5 years old and skins are no longer available then embroidery was an option.

The stitched and heat stamped logos were not an option for my 93, even when I bought the skins from the factory.

east tx skier
11-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Another reason why MC does not carry them anymore is that they will shrink over time. If you were able to purchase skins that have been sitting on the shelf for a year or two then when you took them to get installed nothing would fit. Kind of like putting an extra small shirt on a rather large person. Its just not going to work right.

You are correct. Fortunately, I did not have those problems with the skins I had that I installed myself. I had some in a box for several years that sold with the boat. Not sure if the current owner has seen fit to replace any of them yet.

swatguy
11-16-2010, 11:45 PM

No one ever claimed they were affiliated with the factory. Just a local shop that chooses to deal primarily with MC skins . Most boats that need new interiors are well past the 6yr mark of how long MC keeps factory skins available, unless however you purchased a new 99-2003 model year boat. As far as quality if you ask me "Second grade" skins are what came from the MC factory in 99-2003. Their vinyl was notoriously poorly designed, thin, and stitched poorly. It's a known fact that it didn't last. Anyone who replaced the original skins with factory replacement skins back then pretty much replaced their replacement skins in another 2 yrs. The MC vinyl was awful. As for going to my local shop..........I would much rather get my skins from a company that is familiar with an MC boat and deals with MC boat skins regularly.

For those of us that know how to attach skins (IE Steamer, Stretcher and sunlight) it is a somewhat easy, but time consuming job. Why Would I pay someone 1k for a job I can do myself with all the tools at hand. Just because you buy a nice quality product doesn't mean you throw money down the drain when you can do it yourself for half the cost.

Sodar
11-17-2010, 09:37 AM
No one ever claimed they were affiliated with the factory. Just a local shop that chooses to deal primarily with MC skins . Most boats that need new interiors are well past the 6yr mark of how long MC keeps factory skins available, unless however you purchased a new 99-2003 model year boat. As far as quality if you ask me "Second grade" skins are what came from the MC factory in 99-2003. Their vinyl was notoriously poorly designed, thin, and stitched poorly. It's a known fact that it didn't last. Anyone who replaced the original skins with factory replacement skins back then pretty much replaced their replacement skins in another 2 yrs. The MC vinyl was awful. As for going to my local shop..........I would much rather get my skins from a company that is familiar with an MC boat and deals with MC boat skins regularly.

For those of us that know how to attach skins (IE Steamer, Stretcher and sunlight) it is a somewhat easy, but time consuming job. Why Would I pay someone 1k for a job I can do myself with all the tools at hand. Just because you buy a nice quality product doesn't mean you throw money down the drain when you can do it yourself for half the cost.

Well said!

If you have the tools, patience and know-how, you can certainly get through it. With that said, when I stripped my driver's seat to install heated seats, I took it into the upholsterer. It was money well spent, as he was able to get it to look like it had never been ripped into.

Patsfan
11-17-2010, 12:15 PM
The shops around here are charging any where from $1700 to $2,000 to completly redo a closed bow. This includes taking the upholstery out and re installing it. When there done they know that everything fits together correctly.
For a open bow v-drive it can run you around $2500-$2800.
The vinyl they use now is better than what was used in the bad days.
If you get covers from Jim they are off patterns that he has kept from boats past that he had the boards to check them too. Viper and Leading Edge are doing what I mentioned earlier.
I don't want to pull up to a pack on the lake and have people pointing out covers not fitting perfect and if you take a chance letting someone make patterns off of a cover 10 -15years old or older you take that chance.
In my opinion it's worth a couple bills and being happy than spend all the time we all have spent on these forums trying to find a sollution to CC.
Time for me to cut my sernom short.
Bring on summer time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

atlfootr
11-19-2010, 08:26 AM
And what does a quality upholstery shop charge?

Altfooter's friend is a few hundred dollars higher than this company Swatguy is going with.
Both companies make replacement skins.
The owner has to remove the old skins.
Jim just needs a picture to match colors.
The other guys need the old skins.

Either way, when the new skins are made, the owner must install them on the old seats. How much more does it cost to have a quality upholstery shop do that for you?
I am asking because I intend to have my '95 reupholstered this winter.
For Skipper, Louisiana's kinda middle to TX / TN ... You get what YOU pay for :D

east tx skier
11-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Well said!

If you have the tools, patience and know-how, you can certainly get through it. With that said, when I stripped my driver's seat to install heated seats, I took it into the upholsterer. It was money well spent, as he was able to get it to look like it had never been ripped into.

If you want to save a little money, but be sure it looks perfect and know you can't make them look perfect, this is the sweet spot. Remove them yourself and pay someone else to put them back on. Removing them is time consuming and a real PIA. But it is easy with enough beer, a flat head screwdriver, and a pair of needle nose pliers. That's why my quote for install above was a bit cheaper. It was for install only. Not uninstall.

No matter which company you go with, if you have an older boat, I would suggest getting the foam replaced. Even if someone cuts you skins based on the original boards, that foam is not what it was when it left the factory and the fit might not be perfect.

east tx skier
11-19-2010, 10:22 AM
ATLFooter, the only needing pictures seems to be a new thing for Jim, correct? I remember a friend of mine having to send his skins to Jim a few years back and having to put in quite a few phone calls over a period of months. In the end, he was satisfied with the results, but he did have to send in his skins.