PDA

View Full Version : 78 S&S Steering Wheel

ctjahn
10-27-2010, 08:44 AM
I dont have the measurement here at work with me...What is the Diameter of a MC S&S (78) steering wheel? 15"? (Its not 13 is it?) And Hub Dia?

Please help!
thx
Cj

thatsmrmastercraft
10-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Just measured my '77(same wheel)..........14" wheel with a 4' dish. Standard marine hub.

ctjahn
10-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Thx! Thatsmrmastercraft (AGAIN....and again!)

I bought a 13" which may not work...on impulse before I questioned the size and bolt pattern (which I can re-drill if necessary).

Like the attached image

Cj

thatsmrmastercraft
10-27-2010, 10:11 AM
I replaced all my wheel, helm and cable this spring. I went with a 14 1/2" Grant wheel. I didn't like the feel of anything smaller than the original 14" wheel, and anything 15" and bigger felt like a school bus steering wheel. Just my :twocents:

Before and after:

ctjahn
10-27-2010, 02:06 PM
I replaced all my wheel, helm and cable this spring. I went with a 14 1/2" Grant wheel. I didn't like the feel of anything smaller than the original 14" wheel, and anything 15" and bigger felt like a school bus steering wheel. Just my :twocents:

Before and after:

I like the new one! I decided to try the 13.5" (same design as yours but with the wood and rivets... (boat is stored inside on the trailer) ---- Although I have a feeling I will not like it.

Thx again
Cj

thatsmrmastercraft
10-27-2010, 04:41 PM
I like the new one! I decided to try the 13.5" (same design as yours but with the wood and rivets... (boat is stored inside on the trailer) ---- Although I have a feeling I will not like it.

Thx again
Cj

Thanks.....make sure to post some pics when you have the new wheel installed.

hosofpayne
10-28-2010, 03:06 PM
mrmaster do you still have the chrome housing of the origonal wheel assembly? I would like to buy them if you do.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-28-2010, 05:21 PM
mrmaster do you still have the chrome housing of the origonal wheel assembly? I would like to buy them if you do.

I still have them but not sure if I want to part with them. PM me.

Slinkyredfoot
10-28-2010, 08:07 PM
I still have them but not sure if I want to part with them. PM me.

Please do not part with them. Nice job on the new steering wheel, but what was wrong with the original? Just saying with your new wheel, you got rid of the original mounting bezel and now I see two holes in the dash below where it was mounted.

I have read in other posts you have commented on, how you want to add a bit of originality to your classic right? Fix up the original wheel, it is easy and will look good, and it will look so much better. ;):D

thatsmrmastercraft
10-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Please do not part with them. Nice job on the new steering wheel, but what was wrong with the original? Just saying with your new wheel, you got rid of the original mounting bezel and now I see two holes in the dash below where it was mounted.

I have read in other posts you have commented on, how you want to add a bit of originality to your classic right? Fix up the original wheel, it is easy and will look good, and it will look so much better. ;):D

Hub on original wheel was broken beyond repair. Holes in the dash will be filled and covered with new vinyl dash overlay along with new gauges being installed. The boat has been re-powered and does not have the original windshield, so a restoration is out of the question.

Slinkyredfoot
10-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Hub on original wheel was broken beyond repair. Holes in the dash will be filled and covered with new vinyl dash overlay along with new gauges being installed. The boat has been re-powered and does not have the original windshield, so a restoration is out of the question.

The hub looks great to me, but it is your ride, hope I did not overstep on my opinion.

ctjahn
10-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Where do you get the wood sticker? (Behind the gages) I would like to replace mind some day...

I chose to change to a wood wheel because I prefer the look but hope to keep the existing mount in my case... My shift knob is wood but needs refinishing.

cj

thatsmrmastercraft
10-28-2010, 11:38 PM
The hub looks great to me, but it is your ride, hope I did not overstep on my opinion.

No hurt feeling here. The splined hub of the original steering wheel is what is broken into three pieces. I put it back together for the first year, but was too nervous that it may come apart.

It does look completely unfinished at the moment. Getting the dash done is high up on the list. If I can squeeze the boat into my garage it will be a winter project. If not I will be finishing it up in the spring. I plan to go with a mat black dash vinyl with white face gauges, and changing the speedometers over to white face also. Should give a balanced look.

ctjahn
11-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks.....make sure to post some pics when you have the new wheel installed.

Got the new steering wheel installed today!!!

Used the orig hub and assembly but the cap was junk (someone with poor fabrication skills slopped it together in the past.) Evidence of loose screws multiple times. I cleaned out the holes, used red locktight, put it in position, and realigned it. (So it was straight). Put on a new cap (came with the wheel)

The knob on the throttle control was stripped and re-poly'ed. Still waiting for it to dry and then I will be taking apart the assembly to find out why it is binding or is so tough to pull the button in and out. (Just seems like dried out old grease and needs to be cleaned and lubed)

Then I steel wooled the entire windsheild frame and the pole then polished. (will need to be gone over a few more times but...making progress. Next comes the tuneup and hose replacement. (and I hope to detail the motor at the same time)

Cj

ctjahn
11-14-2010, 06:55 PM
New Steering Wheel Installed Picture...with the throttle control/Shift knob redone to match. Color is amazingly close (even if the pic doesnt show it)Need to steel wool the chrome on the gages a bit but...I am happy with the results.

Next comes detailing the motor (Cleaned today) and a new wood drivers seat base. (was going to try to save it but it was shot.)

Cj

thatsmrmastercraft
11-14-2010, 07:35 PM
New Steering Wheel Installed Picture...with the throttle control/Shift knob redone to match. Color is amazingly close (even if the pic doesnt show it)Need to steel wool the chrome on the gages a bit but...I am happy with the results.

Next comes detailing the motor (Cleaned today) and a new wood drivers seat base. (was going to try to save it but it was shot.)

Cj

Looks great............but I keep leaning my head to the left to get the tach lined up. JK Great job!

ctjahn
11-14-2010, 08:12 PM
And yea, that just happened with the tach... I think I need to take it apart and find out what happened...No I didnt turn it...

cj

thatsmrmastercraft
11-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Slinkyredfoot
11-15-2010, 04:14 PM
That new wheel look great, good job for sure.

ctjahn
11-15-2010, 07:31 PM
More updates to follow...
cj

jipster43
11-21-2010, 05:18 PM
The dash looks awesome, but I need to see pics of the entire boat for a more balanced opinion!

JP :)

ctjahn
11-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Garage is a bit tight to get a good whole boat shot...but maybe soon.

Just did new graphics: the naming and the new registration numbers (pretty much match the font and shape of the MasterCraft style as close as possible without stealing the font)

Spent some more time polishing the aluminum and steel wooling the aluminum this weekend. Wanted to spend more time on it but the dogs broke a window and that had to take priority over the boat....

Cj