PDA

View Full Version : How long do your trailor rollers last?

kbob
10-26-2010, 06:52 PM
I have one roller in the center of my prostar trailer that only last a few months. Is this normal or does my trailer need to be adjusted? Just curious how long they last for everyone else.

Barefooter92
10-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Just replaced mine from 13yrs. Looks like the previous owner left it go too long as the keel has some damage. Replace it. Mine cost under $20 and good as new. 100% Urethane roller from Bass Pro. See the fishing places do have things for us MasterCraft'ers. Dont forget to pick up the cap nuts while your there. Lowes, Home Depot, ect. do not have them.

Luv2Ski
10-27-2010, 01:38 PM
How is it failing? I am wondering if it is too tight and not rolling so the boat is just rubbing one one side instead of rolling...

I don't have a roller on my prostar trailer so no direct comparison other than to say that is definitely too fast relative to all my experience with other boats..

kbob
10-27-2010, 01:54 PM
When I first bought the boat, the guy said the roller was bad and he didn't realize it at the time, and scraped the bottom of the boat pretty bad. Since then...i've gone through 3 or 4 rollers. It might just be the rough bottom that is chewing up the rollers. I'm sure I just answered my own question haha! Thanks for the replies though.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Or the roller is set too high and taking too much weight, thereby wearing it out prematurely. Have you been using the cheap black roller or the yellow urethane roller?

kbob
10-27-2010, 03:31 PM
I've been using the black rollers. I haven't seen the yellow urethane rollers in the right size (10") locally, I may have to buy it online i guess. Also depending on the ramp, in order to get the nose up over the boat buddy, I have to pull the trailer out of the water more than i'd prefer, which causes a lot of the weight to slide on the roller. It could be a combination of things.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-27-2010, 05:44 PM
The urethane rollers will last a lot longer and can be found at Overtons, West Marine, Cabelas to name a few. Do you have any pictures you can post? Especially with the trailer in the water waiting for the boat to load? Might be able to help diagnose the issue.

Barefooter92
10-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Go to the Bass Pro site and you have infinate options. 4 per year is way too many.