PDA

View Full Version : Replace original carpet with snap in carpet.

georgea0731
10-25-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm considering replacing my original floor carpets, but using a snap in carpet. Anyone tried this?
What issues will I face? I assume I will have to have the original floor resurfaced. Carpets will have to be measured, cut and snaps installed.
Anything else? BTW I've hand brushed and soaped it, but is looks so flat and worn. Anything else to try to revive it?

russlars
10-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Have you tried one of these? http://www.amazon.com/Bissell-14005-Little-Compact-Cleaner/dp/B0000BYECX
This has worked great to keep my carpet looking good.

91tri190
10-26-2010, 10:52 PM
If you do replace with snap in carpet, how would you have the edges sewn to prevent fraying? I have long thought about moving to removeable carpeting for easier cleaning and keep the odors at bay however it sounds custom and expensive. I always used to revome any carpet in my wooden Century's because they just attracted sand, food, mildew, beer, soda, sunblock and this concoction over the years certainly brings a funk. The replacement was a vinyl flooring called Nautilex that was glued to the floor somewhat like wallpaper. This stuff was pebble grained for traction and came in grey, black, white and it was really easy to hose off or wipe down. Best parts were that it retained sand between the pebbles that could easily be vacuumed up (unlike embedded/matted sand in carpet, also it pretty much eliminated all of the lovely carpet odors from the many years of use.

Let me know if you find a trick to edge sewing. It sounds interesting.

Steve
91Tri19

89BigBlock
10-27-2010, 09:34 AM
My buddy had the removable carpet in his Ski Ray and it was a dream to be able to clean the boat and carpet. I would definitely do this provided the cost is within reason.

Table Rocker
10-27-2010, 11:09 AM
If you do replace with snap in carpet, how would you have the edges sewn to prevent fraying?

Let me know if you find a trick to edge sewing. It sounds interesting.

Steve
91Tri19
There is a cloth strip called binding tape that is wrapped over the edge and sewn on. Here is an example of what it looks like:
http://legacystudio.ca/Rug-Binding-Natural.html

georgea0731
10-27-2010, 08:47 PM
A local carpet store did some edging for me. I think they charged about $1 per foot. I was thinking about 4 pieces; long one on both sides of the engine, little one under the seat and small piece around the cooler hole. I'm more interested and concerned about removing the old carpet.
Thanks